• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Saginaw Pump Fittings (missing one I think) updated 17 Mar, solved

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
See pics. I need the adapter for the pump, gave the old one away with old pump by accident. I believe l have a saginaw end on the hose because that is the end to the pump I gave away I think. Lost, need a clue. IMG_1416.jpeg IMG_1417.jpeg

Last edited:

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
See pics. I need the adapter for the pump, gave the old one away with old pump by accident. I believe l have a saginaw end on the hose because that is the end to the pump I gave away I think. Lost, need a clue. View attachment 920752 View attachment 920753
You are missing the pressure regulator nut/fitting. It will have a 1-1/8 inch hex on it, and has an o-ring to seal against the housing. It is generally considered part of the pump assembly, and yours is missing. Whoever took your adapter fitting kept your pump fitting.

There are two basic pressure regulator fittings for the Saginaw pump. One is ported 3/8 SAE inverted flare female, and has a 5/8-18 thread. This fitting was used on GM cars from the early 60's to 1978. Then GM changed the fitting to an o-ring sealed fitting with a very similar looking nut, except the threads were 16mm and just a little different, and the tube end used an o-ring instead of the SAE 45 degree conical seat. This is called the GM metric fitting.

Once you install a regulator fitting, you need an adapter fitting to mate with your Ford power steering hose. Your hose is 3/8 SAE inverted flare MALE. So it's the opposite gender. There are a myriad of available adapter fittings, and the source that @Calibronc66 posted is a good for that. But you will need to determine which regulator fitting you get FIRST. Once you know your regulator fitting, then you can specify your adapter fitting.

Attachments

• saginaw.JPG
    saginaw.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 8

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
https://s3.amazonaws.com/rp-part-images/assets/1b197421f8315c1cc51949762f82c1f9.webp here's a pic of the flow control valve . the one in the pic is for a different ps line style but just showing you what the fitting should look like, the spring and piston may already be inside the pump you have?/.......the fitting in the pic is of a typical later model GM vehicle that uses a metric o ring style ps hose assembly ,, ther are inverted flare styles,, and adaptor fittings that go between that fitting and ford style line you have?? ... James was faster..

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought the cut off was in 99s for non metric, but I believe mine is going to be metric if 78 is cutoff

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I thought the cut off was in 99s for non metric, but I believe mine is going to be metric if 78 is cutoff
You are over-thinking it a little. The pump itself didn't change in 1978. They only changed that pressure regulator fitting from SAE to Metric on the hose side. You can use either fitting in your pump. I'd choose to use the 65-78 one and stay SAE for your Bronco.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
If you end up using an earlier pressure regulator fitting that @jamesroney references above, the adapter you can use for your stock pump is Weatherhead #1563. I haven't had one of those pumps on my truck for over 20 years but I still remember that darn part number for some reason. I did a quick google search and there are still plenty of sources out there for it - with a wide variety of prices as well.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You are over-thinking it a little. The pump itself didn't change in 1978. They only changed that pressure regulator fitting from SAE to Metric on the hose side. You can use either fitting in your pump. I'd choose to use the 65-78 one and stay SAE for your Bronco.
Got it, pump threads stayed the same, the hose adapter size changed.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you end up using an earlier pressure regulator fitting that @jamesroney references above, the adapter you can use for your stock pump is Weatherhead #1563. I haven't had one of those pumps on my truck for over 20 years but I still remember that darn part number for some reason. I did a quick google search and there are still plenty of sources out there for it - with a wide variety of prices as well.

Todd Z.
I think I have that part already.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I ordered what was supposed to be SAE and this what I got. I also included the brass adapter I had, does not look right for the pump fittin, it fits thread wise kind of, did not force it.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpeg
    IMG_1456.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1457.jpeg
    IMG_1457.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1460.jpeg
    IMG_1460.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1459.jpeg
    IMG_1459.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 17

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
So I ordered what was supposed to be SAE and this what I got. I also included the brass adapter I had, does not look right for the pump fittin, it fits thread wise kind of, did not force it.
It's really hard to tell from your picture, but I am not seeing your cone seat in the base of the fitting. There are two possibilities. Either they left out the brass cone seat insert, or you got a metric o-ring style fitting. You can remove it from the pump, and take it to any parts supplier and test fit a Chevy pickup truck power steering hose on it. If the hose from a 1985 fits, then you will know.

If you want to test the threads to see if they are metric or SAE, just get a universal 3/8 steel fuel line and see how it fits.

Wish you were nearby, and I could see it. But you are going to get this resolved soon!

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpeg
    IMG_1070.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's really hard to tell from your picture, but I am not seeing your cone seat in the base of the fitting. There are two possibilities. Either they left out the brass cone seat insert, or you got a metric o-ring style fitting. You can remove it from the pump, and take it to any parts supplier and test fit a Chevy pickup truck power steering hose on it. If the hose from a 1985 fits, then you will know.

If you want to test the threads to see if they are metric or SAE, just get a universal 3/8 steel fuel line and see how it fits.

Wish you were nearby, and I could see it. But you are going to get this resolved soon!
Thanks i need that vote of confidence lol. Lee's has a seat you can drive in the o-ring that will adapt to inverted flare. The 3/8ths SAE threaded in but not great but then the threads were not perfect either, they could use a tap chase. I probably will chase it with a tap just to be sure. t did not think this was going to hold me up this long.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I learned a few things about Saginaw pumps lol. also lee power steering told me you can thread SAE into metric but not metric into SAE. ALso was able to order a pump on closeout form ROckauto for 26 dollars that has the sae fitting.

Last edited: