• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moab Bronco Safari '09: Joes ReView

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I wanted to get some info down before it's too late and I forget it all... Had a great time as usual, always good to spend time with the "regulars" and to meet some new friends.

Right off the bat I want to address the incident on Pritchett on Friday. For those that have not heard, or heard conflicting stories here's the skinny.

Kevin, Eric, Marc and myself (4 rigs) went out to do Pritchett and made it about 1.5 miles in. Kevin was in the lead and had stopped to tighten a strap on his Bronco. As he was doing that, the strap broke and he lost his balance and stumbled backwards a couple of steps, where he fell about 15' off a ledge, landing on a rock. He hurt his back pretty bad and required a Lifeflight out from Pritchett. He suffered 4 broken vertebra and a collapsed lung, but was released from the hospital today and is back home. He should make a full recovery, but it'll be a few months before he's back out on the trails.

We're looking at starting a Paypal fund for those who'd like to donate, more to follow, I'll edit this post as it comes together.

Other than that, we had a great time the whole week.

Sunday some of the regulars did Hells revenge, this was a nice run, just a few of us, but we were pressed for time and missed some of the fun. Plus, no one wanted to end up on their roof in the hot tub this early! Mike B. let my brother Shawn drive, including a bad attempt at Escalator.

Monday we did Moab Rim and Cliffhanger. I had redone my suspension and the coils were just too soft. Mike drove my rig and it just about layed over sideways on him! I called my Wife and had her send me some of the coilover springs I had in the shop (thanks Honey!).

The Official MBS began Tuesday, so I Lead Poison Spider. I rode with Bronco Bob in his Cummins 4BT half-cab. VERY torquey!

Lead Hells Revenge on Wednesday, rode with Marc D. We did the long trail and had some fun. Most of the guys did Hells Gate, with only a couple of small wheel-stands! Kevin and Eric played in the big hot-tub and several guys did the small one at the top. Both Kevin and Eric ended up on their lids in the hot-tub down from the top, but no major damage.

Thursday Kevin, Eric and I did Behind the Rocks (all the way out to the end, drove down White Knuckle Hill and turned around and drove up it, then all the obstacles going back), then hit the Show and Shine. The hole at the bottom of WKH has grown, it's probably better than 4' vertical. The BBQ and Raffle were great, I have a couple of nice new additions!

Friday was the ill-fated Pritchett run, Sat we had to head back home.

As usual the Sponsors came through big time. A special thanks to Jim Creel, he seemed to have a never ending supply of donations!!

I was in charge of the trail runs this year and for the most part we did a good job, although there were some challenges. Several guys who signed up to lead trails didn't even come to Moab, and some ended up too broken to continue. If you missed a trail run, all I can say is "I'm sorry"; however, you can sign up and lead one next year!

Already looking forward to next year!!!
Joe

Last edited:

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Good writeup! Sorry to hear about Pritchett biting back!:eek: What a flukey accident. Many videos and a daily file of pics posted throughout the week on the SoCal forum, if interested. Gotta try to make it next year.

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
Had a great time and met a lot of great folks. Can't wait for next year. Hope everyone makes the AZ Stampede too.

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Clint and I were just working it out and we have a Paypal Addy for folks to use if you'd like to contribute to the "Kevin Fund". Everything folks donate will go directly to him and his wife Brook.

clint@oldiron4x4.com is the Paypal addy, but please put "for Kevin" in the message body to avoid any potential confusion.

If you do donate, please post up or PM/email me so I can make sure we see it.
TIA, Joe

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Alright, looks like we had almost 90 registrations this year!!!!!! Huge year, in spite of everything going on in the world!

I want to thank all of our vendors and supporters for stepping up big this year and really helping out! I will be updating the site shortly with all the vendor links and whatnot!

We had alot of fun this year, although it was a strange year for things to happen.

List of people carnage:

hauled a mountain biker out of Poison Spider that dislocated his hip. OUCH
One attendee had a slight heart problem
Another atendee (kevin) fell on Pritchett and had to be hauled out.
My buddy Jason crashed HARD on Pritchett on the rockpile and smashed up his 4 runner pretty badly.

We also had some really good wheelin, lots of BSing around the camp and catching up with friends!

Event dates for next year are May 1st-9th.

We have a facebook page as well for anyone who frequents over there.

its:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=81374836847

Join the group, post up pics and vids from this year or years past!

Personally, I think this was the best year ever. Our help staff was real small this year, and I think we did a whole lot with little, and a special thank you goes to all the folks that helped out when they didnt have to!

NORK2BG

2009 was our first time attending the Moab Bronco Safari and we had a blast can not wait till next year. Clint thank you for all your hard work it really shows how much time you have put in to making Bronco Safari a success.

Joe don't leave your tools and hose laying around may end up missing.;D

Until next year
Jes from Reno, NV

SPLougee

Great review Joe. Was a great time had by all myself included,being my first MBS. Thanks Clint i had forgotten about the biker on Poison Spider. Was a blast and am looking forward allready for the RMR. Joe let me know the days i need off.

kjhephner

Loc.
coloradosprings
Wanted to say thnks to all for help with everything. I am getting better slowly, returned to work today on light duty, mon the 26th. Will be awile before i get back on the trail. Will see everyone asap.

Thanks again Kevin

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
2009 was our first time attending the Moab Bronco Safari and we had a blast can not wait till next year. Clint thank you for all your hard work it really shows how much time you have put in to making Bronco Safari a success.

Joe don't leave your tools and hose laying around may end up missing.;D

Until next year
Jes from Reno, NV

Jes, great to meet you!!!!

broncbuster

I really wanted to go this year, but it was scheduled for the last week of school for us, Both college and high school, Couldn't take the kids out then. If it was earlier or later we'd be there! For 2010 May 1-9 might be able to go to part of it.

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I really wanted to go this year, but it was scheduled for the last week of school for us, Both college and high school, Couldn't take the kids out then. If it was earlier or later we'd be there! For 2010 May 1-9 might be able to go to part of it.

Its one of the drawbacks of Moab. Any later and it gets HOT HOT HOT :)

hope you can make it!

broncbuster

No kidding on the HOT. Las Cruces is hot but there's something about the rocks or something in Moab. Last time I was there was June, Miserable (but fun!)

Little Trivia: I've always been kind of fascinated by/drawn to Moab. Come to find out my 3rd great grandfather was one of the early settlers of Moab, one of his sons was the first. He ran the first ferry on the Colorado for years.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wanted to say thnks to all for help with everything. I am getting better slowly, returned to work today on light duty, mon the 26th. Will be awile before i get back on the trail. Will see everyone asap.

Thanks again Kevin

Glad to hear you're felling better Kevin, If you aren't up to wheeling at least come by for the RMR so we can feed you a steak and some beer;D

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Glad to hear you're felling better Kevin, If you aren't up to wheeling at least come by for the RMR so we can feed you a steak and some beer;D

Yea, what he said!! I'll be sure and bring some Elk steaks out since you missed them in Moab.
Joe