• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moates Quarterhorse and J3 chips

MD

It really hurts me to read this thread. We are in the same boat here. We all love making our vehicles better and even repurposing older EFI, trying to understand how it works and trying to help each other out.

We should really treat each other better than this. Our community isn't that large and we really have a lot in common.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
It really hurts me to read this thread. We are in the same boat here. We all love making our vehicles better and even repurposing older EFI, trying to understand how it works and trying to help each other out.

We should really treat each other better than this. Our community isn't that large and we really have a lot in common.
Hope you're not implying I didn't treat anybody properly. All I did until Michael replied is let everyone on this list know that they could read what happened to many of us when he didn't perforom services he had been paid for and agreed to...

My part in "trying to help each other out" is/was to keep others from paying for a service or part and not receiving said product/service. THAT's how I much I care about this forum and it's members.

I have bought, built and traded on this list and Corral for decades- literally. First time I ever had to warn others about anybody.

Last edited:

MD

Almost correct Michael.

The update tune was for installing a new cam which you agreed upon in Feb at no charge. I made this very clear in a post ealrier. You followed thru but later in the year AFTER ignoring all means of communication that we had previously used to keep each other abreast of where we were- example, when my engine was assembled with the new cam which was June believe).

Like we both said, after I got it running, you returned a couple msgs & we completely disagreed on running the engine at temps from 600-760deg.

You COMPLETELY dropped off the map w/o any notice and since you knew my schedule, and I knew from multiple members off Corral and other PM's that you were NOT following thru on tunes for many many months and all my calls and attempts to contact were ignored so I had to hire another tuner even tho this work was covered by my initial $3‐400 payment (have to look it up).

Seems pretty clear.

Brian, I'm trying to understand the timeline here from your personal tuning thread, so help me if I am wrong.

Feb 2022
-You sign up for premium member access at efidynotuning.com and donate $350 to decipha per the normal premium member process (This is an assumption, but the only path I know to become a premium member) (I should also note the donation amount has increased per 2023 update)
-You ask for a friend to be granted premium member access to help you with tuning, to which decipha agrees (If you paid another $350 for an additional premium member, then I apologize for any implication that your request was for a freebie)
-decipha provides at least 10 tune update files
-you are happy with the tune based on no further requests for tuning and inferred from later posts stating that you are grateful for the tuning help and it ran great.

September 2022
-Engine is down, waiting on Ford for some help with bore size issues

March 2023
-You ask decipha for schedule and cost for tuning a new build with a new Ed Curtis cam.
-decipha responds same day agreeing to help with a new tune at no cost.

July 2023
-you send a PM to decipha about how to update the data for the new build
-decipha posts a response to your tuning thread reminding you that the process is to communicate via the form thread so information and progress is captured in one place.
-You post a new datalog, indicating bogging issues above 4K
-decipha reviews the datalog and says everything looks good, and notes that datalog is only part throttle
-16th or so you post an updated datalog with data above 4K rpm.

August 2023
-somewhere around 6th or 7th, decipha acknowledges that you are seeing much more air above 4K with the new engine build and provides and updated tune.

March 2024
-you are posting here on CB that decipha has not fulfilled his commitment to what you are owed for your $350 donation.

I did read through the thread in detail, and I did pull the last two bins, the one you were happy with and the updated one with a new MAF curve from decipha to verify that he had updated the MAF curve to address the updated flow you were seeing with the new cam. I am recalling this timeline from memory as the efidynotuning forum is down at the moment, so if I have incorrectly identified dates, I will correct them when the forum is back up, and also if you or decipha can show additional communication details not int the thread to further clarify.

I do desire for both sides to be fairly heard, for cooler heads to prevail and for all of us be thankful for the particular values that each of us can add to the use of 1990s/2000s era Ford EFI to our 1960s/1970s era Broncos

-Michael

MD

Hope you're not implying I didn't treat anybody properly. All I did until Michael replied is let everyone on this list know that they could read what happened to many of us when he didn't perforom services he had been paid for and agreed to...

My part in "trying to help each other out" is/was to keep others from paying for a service or part and not receiving said product/service. THAT's how I much I care about this forum and it's members.

I have bought, built and traded on this list and Corral for decades- literally. First time I ever had to warn others about anybody.
I'm not trying to imply that you treated anybody improperly. My concern is not directly the fairness of services when money changes hands between two people, but more the hasty response of everyone who doesn't have money at stake. I think everyone has to weigh service provided or promised in a specific situation for themselves. My bigger concern is for the bashing from everyone else on this thread who has no money at stake, and is quick to choose sides.

Brian Cooke has a lot to add to the Bronco community and Michael (decipha) has a lot to add to the Ford EEC community. Both things can be true. If Brian Cooke tells us that we should not value anything from decipha and in return decipha no longer wants to help the Bronco community then we all lose. I think we should all accept that we can have unmet expectations, but still give others the benefit of the doubt for the value they add to the community.

nvrstuk

Contributor
What you posted off Decipha's forum was a small percentage of the communication that the two of us had regarding this.

All the other conversations were email & phone calls until he quit responding to ALL communication.

I'm also thinking this is Decipha & will check

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We have an honest EFI tuner on this board already, EFIGUY.
You don't lie/deceive/rip people off. You and Decepta seem to be missing that important point.
Brian is so unselfish in sharing/helping, that something like this affects all honest bronco owners.
Decepta has yet to accept any sort of responsibility for his failure to produce. That is a huge red flag of a personality/character flaw.
He is what he is.
So MD "fence mender", when you repair a fence that you purposely damaged, it still isn't the same fence it was before you caused the damage.
Decepta made his bed that he has to sleep in.

nvrstuk

Contributor
You know all the dates and remembered all the conversations w/o needing to reference the efidynotuning website because as you state it is "down"?

Interesting...

I am copying MD's post in it's entirety in case he deletes it so we have it on record.

It's time to hit the hay but who is "MD" and how would he be able to remember all (according to Michael) of efidynotuning communication from memory? Missed all the phone calls and texts tho.

Friend of Michael's, relative?

Really curious...

also, b4 I finally turn off rhe light, this guys post looks like MD shows I only made appr 5 contacts in a yr about my tune. Sure makes it look like I didn't try very hard to get my engine tuned.

More later and sorry to all that thought this was over-like I did. :(

Copied this so it can't be deleted.

"Brian, I'm trying to understand the timeline here from your personal tuning thread, so help me if I am wrong.

Feb 2022
-You sign up for premium member access at efidynotuning.com and donate $350 to decipha per the normal premium member process (This is an assumption, but the only path I know to become a premium member) (I should also note the donation amount has increased per 2023 update)
-You ask for a friend to be granted premium member access to help you with tuning, to which decipha agrees (If you paid another $350 for an additional premium member, then I apologize for any implication that your request was for a freebie)
-you are happy with the tune based on no further requests for tuning and inferred from later posts stating that you are grateful for the tuning help and it ran great.

September 2022

March 2023
-You ask decipha for schedule and cost for tuning a new build with a new Ed Curtis cam.

July 2023
-decipha posts a response to your tuning thread reminding you that the process is to communicate via the form thread so information and progress is captured in one place.
-decipha reviews the datalog and says everything looks good, and notes that datalog is only part throttle

August 2023
-somewhere around 6th or 7th, decipha acknowledges that you are seeing much more air above 4K with the new engine build and provides and updated tune.

March 2024
-you are posting here on CB that decipha has not fulfilled his commitment to what you are owed for your $350 donation.

I did read through the thread in detail, and I did pull the last two bins, the one you were happy with and the updated one with a new MAF curve from decipha to verify that he had updated the MAF curve to address the updated flow you were seeing with the new cam. I am recalling this timeline from memory as the efidynotuning forum is down at the moment, so if I have incorrectly identified dates, I will correct them when the forum is back up, and also if you or decipha can show additional communication details not int the thread to further clarify.

I do desire for both sides to be fairly heard, for cooler heads to prevail and for all of us be thankful for the particular values that each of us can add to the use of 1990s/2000s era Ford EFI to our 1960s/1970s era Broncos

-Michael"

Last edited:

MD

20 year member with 69 posts?
Hmmmm. Seems like more Decepta.
I am a man of few words, and I contribute when I think I have something of value to say.
Are you calling me a liar the same as you are calling Decipha? For what reason and with what evidence do you present for your case?

Have you heard both sides equally before making your decision and what are your pros and cons in favor of each side?

MD

You know all the dates and remembered all the conversations w/o needing to reference the efidynotuning website because as you state it is "down"?

Interesting...

I am copying MD's post in it's entirety in case he deletes it so we have it on record.

It's time to hit the hay but who is "MD" and how would he be able to remember all (according to Michael) of efidynotuning communication from memory? Missed all the phone calls and texts tho.

Friend of Michael's, relative?

Really curious...

also, b4 I finally turn off rhe light, this guys post looks like MD shows I only made appr 5 contacts in a yr about my tune. Sure makes it look like I didn't try very hard to get my engine tuned.

More later and sorry to all that thought this was over-like I did. :(

Copied this so it can't be deleted.

"Brian, I'm trying to understand the timeline here from your personal tuning thread, so help me if I am wrong.

Feb 2022

September 2022

March 2023

July 2023

August 2023

March 2024

-Michael"
The forum is back up for me now. The last post before your request in March 2023 for help on the new engine was Feb 2022, so it seems reasonable that your first engine was tuned correctly in Feb 2022, so my timeline is correct.

My point is this, you asked decipha for a cost for additional tuning for your new engine and he said zero. So you both agree that the price was nothing. Decipha has been responsive to all your posts on the forum. How can you claim that he cheated you out of money when you both agreed that the price was zero (no cost)? and furthermore he continued to respond to your updated datalogs.

We all get anxious about time when our projects run overtime, but you acknowledge that the engine had been down for a long time (since Sept 2022), and I expect that you paid a lot of money for that shortblock as well the cam for Ed Curtis. Are you complaining here about Ford taking months to fix their mistake? Are you complaining that it took a month or more to get a cam from Ed? Then why are you complaining that it took 3 weeks for you to get a free tune from decipha? It doesn't add up.

If you have evidence that you paid decipha for faster service after the zero cost agreement, please provide it here. I am only looking for factual contracts, not false expectations.

And please don't confound your false expectations with additional expectations that decipha is family to me. I have never been to Louisiana, nor met him, and he doesn't deserve the injustice of being related to me. He is far more generous with his time and expertise than I am with mine.

MD

We have an honest EFI tuner on this board already, EFIGUY.
You don't lie/deceive/rip people off. You and Decepta seem to be missing that important point.
Brian is so unselfish in sharing/helping, that something like this affects all honest bronco owners.
Decepta has yet to accept any sort of responsibility for his failure to produce. That is a huge red flag of a personality/character flaw.
He is what he is.
So MD "fence mender", when you repair a fence that you purposely damaged, it still isn't the same fence it was before you caused the damage.
Decepta made his bed that he has to sleep in.
Good point, EFIGUY is another great asset to the EFI community. I believe he has offered to help Brian as well, long before Brian went to decipha. Brian openly admitted that he was having trouble with his tunes before getting help from decipha. The issue isn't that decipha wasn't helpful. The issue is that Brian was expecting free help on a very short timeline.
That being said, EFIGUY had to stop providing service for a time while he had personal issues to attend to and no one crucified him for taking a leave of absence.
You are claiming that decipha is a liar without any evidence, despite the fact that he has unlocked the private thread with Brian to show the dialog where he has followed up on his commitments.

There is no need for people to throw stones, especially when they are not even party to the issue at hand.
What fence did I purposely damage?

MD

Key point: When someone leaves out a portion of the truth that would change the end truth, is a liar.
Michael, your a liar, period.

Not sure what to say here, but I think this is way over the top. So I guess I will leave it at that.

-Michael

nvrstuk

Contributor
Your post from above talking about me saying: .... "You sign up for premium member access at efidynotuning.com and donate $350 to decipha per the normal premium member process (This is an assumption, but the only path I know to become a premium member) ".

You got called out for trying to IMPERSONATE a Classic Bronco member when using a different email name/avatar and then you're writing "(This is an assumption, but the only path I know to become a premium member}" ??? knowing this is the way because you ARE Decipha and then you post all this below in hopes of persuading others to believe your story???

People are seeing the real Decipha now.

You can continue to change dates, delete posts , post up an entire "conversation" supposedly downloaded from your forum, give reckless engine tuning advice (near burn down temps-verified by 2 other tuners) by not taking the time to review engine data (you couldn't have or else you would have changed the tune back in June and not risked engine burn down - - when you said you did reivew it), not address other forms of communication we exchanged, then ignored all contact with myself and others for months and then add a tune back in Aug to covein an attempt to cover what you did NOT do which is provide a service for a contract. I am not alone in this and this is what's really important here. You blew off so many guys that had paid IN ADVANCE for tuning so this isn't a one guy that got burned by you Michael.

... and to use a different email and to respond in the 3rd person to try to make it look like it was someone else that was concerned about how this list is so nice, etc, etc. Showed your colors there. Yeah, I'd really like to be done with this but how can I not expose what you just did ... again!?

Last edited:

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Everyone, please keep your comments related to your own personal experience. If you have first hand experience with either party, feel free to share it, pro or con. But don't just pile on to pile on.

MD

Your post from above talking about me saying: .... "You sign up for premium member access at efidynotuning.com and donate $350 to decipha per the normal premium member process (This is an assumption, but the only path I know to become a premium member) ".

You got called out for trying to IMPERSONATE a Classic Bronco member when using a different email name/avatar and then you're writing "(This is an assumption, but the only path I know to become a premium member}" ??? knowing this is the way because you ARE Decipha and then you post all this below in hopes of persuading others to believe your story???

People are seeing the real Decipha now.

You can continue to change dates, delete posts , post up an entire "conversation" supposedly downloaded from your forum, give reckless engine tuning advice (near burn down temps-verified by 2 other tuners) by not taking the time to review engine data (you couldn't have or else you would have changed the tune back in June and not risked engine burn down - - when you said you did reivew it), not address other forms of communication we exchanged, then ignored all contact with myself and others for months and then add a tune back in Aug to covein an attempt to cover what you did NOT do which is provide a service for a contract. I am not alone in this and this is what's really important here. You blew off so many guys that had paid IN ADVANCE for tuning so this isn't a one guy that got burned by you Michael.

... and to use a different email and to respond in the 3rd person to try to make it look like it was someone else that was concerned about how this list is so nice, etc, etc. Showed your colors there. Yeah, I'd really like to be done with this but how can I not expose what you just did ... again!?

Yes, I am admitting my assumption on how you became a premium member. It is the only process I know for becoming a member via a donation (not a business transaction). I am assuming that you did the donation to become a premium member and that is the $300-ish you are saying that decipha is not honoring. I'm just trying to understand if there is some other agreement or payment that you made to decipha, so we can understand your perspective.

Your anger is consuming you and clouding your judgement. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that it is possible that decipha made a promise that he couldn't deliver, but all I see is an angry Brian. I am sorry that you had a problem with the bore size on your engine, and were down from September 2022 until June 2023. Running a 460SBF on an self tuned A9L is a bad choice considering all the better options available. It is frought with problems and will make you angry. I say that as someone who has been running A9L EFI on the 408sbf for 22 years. It was a good choice to hand it over to a paid tuner instead of the diy route, but getting angry with decipha is not helpful.

I'm not changing any dates, only referencing the thread history. Those are the rules of the forum and the premium access. You upload datalogs to your thread as a premium member and decipha will try to help you with updating your tune. I don't know of anyone who provides that kind of access for so little cost, and even free in this case.

And I am offering you advice as a fellow CB forum member and bronco owner of 30 plus years to reconsider and just let go of the anger.

-Michael

nvrstuk

Contributor
Now you're a therapist? :)

Michael, who is MD who keeps talking in third person?

I can rebutt all your insinuations, comments, etc but why waste more time & energy on you and your ghost writer "MD"?

Now you're changing your posts and trying to persuade people to try to create the perception that you say I am having "anger issues".

Jon, who is our web master admin also asked those who didn't ha w "first hand experienxe" to stay out of this thread.

At this point MD either has to admit he has nothing vested in this from a personal experience and quit posting OR he has to admit deceit, deception and trying to be sly by responding to this thread under another email/avatar and pretense.

Which is it?

Last edited:

MD

At this point MD either has to admit he has nothing vested in this from a personal experience and quit posting OR he has to admit deceit, deception and trying to be sly by responding to this thread under another email/avatar and pretense.

Which is it?

When I first ran across this thread it smelled very one sided. I felt like most here are well grounded and there was a good chance that best case this would be more of a yeah I just got frustrated at someone who runs a website for free and has a forum for free and helps people out for free in a way that benefits us all that are trying to run Ford EFI didn't provide instant service. Worst case would be decipha offered to help at no cost, therefore he is accountable for 24/7 responsiveness.

I honestly did not expect gaslighting that I am an imaginary deceitful person for speaking up. (Yes I am a real person, but no I'm not going to post pictures of my drivers license and social security card, haha)

I do have first hand experience as a paid premium member to decipha's forum and I have an interest in improving my tuning on an A9L stroker SBF (Just like Brian) If you want to self tune an 89-03 era Ford EFI, then datalogging/tuning with the quarterhorse is the best way, and there are plenty of free resources and tutorials on deciphas site to help you out. There are strategy files and tunes for most of the Ford V8s including the Explorers, all free.

I also have first hand experience as I downloaded the tunes that decipha provided and he did indeed make changes to the MAF table, to correct the issues in the last uploaded datalog.

Lastly, I will leave you a quote about deciphas services from a fellow bronco owner:
"I was re-reading some of the old conversations we had when tuning this last year-I was learning a lot. Just saying it runs SOOOooo much better now than it did before you "got involved" with the tuning! No comparison. Want to say thanks for that." Brian Cooke June 2023

nvrstuk

Contributor
For a self proclaimed therapist who said I was angry and had anger issues 6 times in one post alone, you have shown your true colors since your opening post in 19 yrs about how you hated to see this type of post in our CB community.

It's almost coincidental that you have not responded with a single post on this forum for over 19 years and then jumping all over this without being involved at all without any threads or communication on the CB forum for this long a period then posting up so adamantly it just smells a little bit...fishy.

Gotta ask, maybe serving a purpose for someone else?

I have had contact from 2 others on this list who have had dealings with you or Michael or whoever I'm responding to.

I will not reveal who they are, (membership is supposed to be a donation -what a tax evasive crock) but, I have no interest in reading your posts or posting up names of others who are on this list & and on Corral & others who have or text me that ... and I can't go into more detail because if you're the Michael that runs Deciphas website forf"free" because donations aren't classified as taxable income to him, then you could track down who contacted me about Decipha.

Like always, I have no reason to stretch the truth, insinuate that you have mental health issues (anger for me you diagnosed) or lie/cheat/deceive or make personal comments about or whatever since I have built up a little trust here the past 25+ yrs and made long term relationships outside this forum with members and have absolutely nothing to gain from warning friends and others here on this forum & outside it to beware.

Here's your opening line on your first post in 19 yrs under this name/avatar "MD".

"We should really treat each other better than this"...

and you follow it up with

turning it just a scosh off topic & going personal by diagnosing me with "anger issues" and then offering "advice from a CB member".

The last quote from you shows a real class act by the way. That post was a year after the initial tune but in the middle of tuning silence from Michael.