• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

more elect questions

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
hi i have a 69 with electrical issues. here is what i have going on. with the ignition switch off i get 12 volts at the hazard flasher. turn on the hazard switch and power is lost. then when i add turning on the blinker left or right both l & r indicator lights blink the voltage at the hazard flasher fluctuates between 4v and 8v. only the turn signal flasher clicks. maybe 8v is not enough to make the hazard flasher click. why do i loose power when i turn on the hazard switch.i have replaced the turn signal switch, hazard switch, ignition switch.

Broncomt

Check flasher receptacles for no oxides, they need to be clean for good connection.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you tried swapping the flasher units to see what, if anything changes?
They both share the same type of connector, so will work in either position for testing at least.

I realize that does not address a lack of power coming in to it, but it's by way of ruling things out for now.

Paul

OP
OP
B

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
this is another gremlin that i found. on the starter switch there is a violet wire that goes to the brake warning switch which i assume is the wire coming from the proportioing valve. there is a second violet wire that is plugged into a spade on the fuse panel the other end is spliced with the violet wire from the ignition switch and the wire coming from the proportioing valve. i see no difference when i unplug from the fuse panel. there is no warning light. maybe had one there is a spot for one.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the '69 should have had one. But many of them got pulled out after they came on and couldn't be turned off again.
Sometimes they stayed on so long and built up enough heat to melt the red plastic lens. Other times they just got so annoying they were unplugged.

Is this all factory wiring?
Not sure you're supposed to have that wire going to the fuse panel, but it's possible. I have not dug into a stock harness in awhile, so can't remember the full orientation at the moment.
But having it plugged into the aux spade terminals just doesn't sound right. Maybe that's how they were done in '69.

Paul