• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

more hydro boost questions

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
after more than a year of replacing the tired old 6 banger/3 speed with a efi 5.0, np435, hydroboost, rear bcb caddy disk swap on a bb rear, disk brake dana 44 front w/ ps. the old girl finally moved under her own power once again!

after bleeding the power steering, i moved on to the testing the hydro boost. all i can say is, i'm glad the bronco was moving slow, as it stopped so fast, i almost went through the glass.

as i sat there testing the brakes, i noticed that if i applied more pedal, it felt like the pedal would sometimes begin to push back up on my foot. as it did this and i held my foot down, it would begin to bog the motor down. if i really stabbed it when it does this, i can actually stall the engine while at idle. it doesn't always do it. i also notice a very slow return on the pedal and if i don't pull the pedal back up with my toe, i still have brake pressure.

rod is not binding, -amost feels like i need a return spring on the pedal.

any ideas? things to check?

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Mine had the "kick-back" too initially at the beginning, then as I drove it, it worked itself out. Had to be air still in the H-boost. As for the slow peddle return, do you have a dual return pump? I've read of folks having this problem with the returns were T'd together causing backpressure. Prolly should get a pump w/ dual returns or put one on yours...

OP
OP
eds66bronco

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i made mine a dual return. welded on a 6an bung. i was hoping it was just a bit of air still in the system. it hasn't been driven on the road yet. still need a few odds and ends before i can get her inspected. guess i'll just tool around the yard a bit and see if it works itself out

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
I've found the best way to get the air out of the system is to get the front end in the air, and turn the wheel lock to lock about 20 times with the engine OFF. Then let it set for a few, and then a few more turns with the engine ON.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Ed

NOT to worry your system is working correctly!!
There is air in your system, the only cure is to drive it. Be careful, as the air comes out the brakes get more and more "powerful". You are going to stop on a dime and get 9 cents worth of change shortly.

TOFIC

OP
OP
eds66bronco

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
going from four wheel drum to four wheel disk with hydro is nothing short of amazing :eek:

what do you think about the slow pedal return? air as well or do i need to check something else?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
eds66bronco said:
what do you think about the slow pedal return? air as well or do i need to check something else?

Probably air. Like Walker949 says, drive it for awhile and it should clear up. I'd give it 500-1000 miles myself.

Todd Z.

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
Hey Ed Way to go!!!!
Since you are running the Crown Vic setup I would love pics of it all now that you have it all together......
I would love to have a reference of how it is gonna fit.....
Thanks a bunch!
You running the Ford disc in front??
I have the Chevy setup to install now and the caddy calipers for the rear.
Thanks
Chris

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
eds66bronco said:
going from four wheel drum to four wheel disk with hydro is nothing short of amazing :eek:

Yea how does it feel to step on the brakes and STOP like right now!!

Slow pedal return? Drive it my man it will disappear.

Have fun and how about a pic of the install??
TOFIC

OP
OP
eds66bronco

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i'll snag my dad's digi cam tonight and snap some shot for you. Chris, any specific angles or things you need shot? yup, i'm running an 89 crown vic 5.0 w/serp belt, ford disk in front, chucks rear caddy setup (note to everyone- just buy the complete setup from chuck and don't try to round up all the caliper/e-brake crap - not worth the few dollars you will save unless you can find a complete used setup) 77 ps box, sag pump from a volvo with exrta return bung welded on, hydro from 199? astro, corvette mc. still trying to figure out a way to cram a york compressor in there for oba %)

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
Sure, I will be running the '90 Crown Vic.....I think it is the same dual belt serp setup that the 89 has....
Just would like to see it all together....
I plan to run the Astro unit and the vette master right now, although I might end up with the lincoln setup before it is done.........Either way it will be hydro with a 76 box and the sag pump with dual ports. SO any pics showing how it all fits together will be good!!
I have your pics from the PS mount.....
I would also like the application (year/model) of that sag pump if you have it.
Think a York will fit in there?????
I have a MOtorcraft unit here, but figured I would be forced to use a rotary pump cause of space.
what fan did you use????
I have a flex a lite 1717 that I think will work well.
I do have to check and see if it is a regular rotation pump or not. Is yours ?????
Thanks
Chris

OP
OP
eds66bronco

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i went with a solid fan from summit -think it was a derale- (same one chuck sells). the crown vics are standard rotation fans. the sag pump and york compressor were yanked out of one of the square shaped volvo wagons. late 80's early 90's sorry that's not much help.

the york should just squeeze in there. Waylon sent me pics of his a while back mounted on a HO 5.0 but he was using v belts. here's his setup

Attachments

• HPIM2215.jpg
    HPIM2215.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 46
  • HPIM2216.jpg
    HPIM2216.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 52