• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More hydro Q's

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I just started the engine again (no foul-ups this time), and purged my power steering pump. box and hydro booster. Now I get back flow to the pump and it over flows when off. Not quickly but steadily will overflow the P/S sump. Am I doing something wrong like over filling or is there something else I F'd up?

By the way, Happy New Year everyone.

Alan

maverickconner

Just a thought, did you get a hydro can on your sag. pump?

Plumbing issue, here is the diagram......

Attachments

• Steeringsys.gif
    Steeringsys.gif
    32.8 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
broncow72

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I added a nipple to my can. Just seems to have a back flow prob when turned off. Is the can fill neck supposed to be higher or equal to the hydrobooster?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If you fill the pump reservior too full then it will spit fluid out until the level is back down where it should be. If you filled it clear to the top then that is probably your problem. My Hydroboost is higher than my pump reservior sp that shouldn't be a problem. If you have a cooler that is mounted too high I think it might drain back into the reservior though.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
broncow72 said:
I added a nipple to my can. Just seems to have a back flow prob when turned off. Is the can fill neck supposed to be higher or equal to the hydrobooster?
Where on your can did you put the return nipple? It should be below the normal fluid level.

OP
OP
broncow72

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
SaddleUp, I'll fiddle with the level tomorrow and see if that makes a dif. I might have added a tad too much.
I placed the return nipple (feeling a Beavis and Butthead moment coming on) in the proper place, below fluid level.
Thanks for the response.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
ON a guess your accummulator is being activated even when you are switched off. This could cause some fluid to come back to the pump and puke out the top. Check this by restarting the engine when the fluid starts to overflow, if it sucks back into the system your actuating rod under the dash is wrong check this. there should be about 25 thousands of slack in this rod when the system is not being used.
TOFIC

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
You still have air in the system. You need to get the front end in the air, then turn the wheel back and forth about 20 times with engine OFF. Then let it set a few minutes for so any remaining air bubbles rise/settle. Then turn the wheel a few more times. Start it up and turn the wheel a few times and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
broncow72

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
TOFIC and Nobody,
I had been fiddling with the brakes with the engine off and that could release fluid from the accumulator, if I understand correctly.
I will do a fluid purge tonight to be sure I got all the air out.

Thanks for replies.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As Nobody stated, you still have air in the system. When the engine is running the air is ed and when you turn it off it expands. Oil is probably foamy as well.

My trick is to add fluid. Then start and quickly turn off the engine (about 2 seconds run time). Walk away for 30 minutes or so. Come back add a little more fluid and repeat. What I do is get the foamy oil back to the resivior and give it a chance to degass before reentering the loop. If you keep pumping the foam around you will continue to have the problem.

I have even known a few people to rig an A/C vacuum pump to degass the oil. Tricky part is to not suck the foam into the pump, those vacuum pumps are not cheap.