• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

motor, 4R70W, and factory computer will it work for swap? Update

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru
Ok I'v been kicking around the idea of doing a 300 I6 swap with a man 4 speed trans. But over this past week I found a 80k mile 1996 f150 300 with it's 4R70W and factory computer. If I bought the complete package would I still have to buy an aftermarket controller for the electronic shift trans? I'm guessing I wouldn't have to but I have but I'm sure I might be over looking something!

Last edited:

ren71

If that year f150 doesn't come with PATS I think it should run as is with no reflash needed.

ren71

And if it does have PATS you can still run it by Jerry rigging the security module somehow. But you'll need part of the matching ignition key to make it easy.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru
No PATS on 1996 F150

No PATS... well that's good news for me because I have no clue what PATS even is! lol.

So if I can get the motor, trans, and computer I know iI swap would be a huge undertaking! But if I can fight though task the bronco would be a driver friendly for wife & daughter(when the time comes). Also the combo of 300 and O/D auto would get better fuel economy then any other Bronco I'v owned prior.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
EFI Guy may be ale to help too... he removed the PATS from my 98 explorer computer...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'96 should be the first year of OBD-II. That adds a lot to the complexity if that is what you are working with. Does the computer have 60 pins or 104 pins?

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru
'96 should be the first year of OBD-II. That adds a lot to the complexity if that is what you are working with. Does the computer have 60 pins or 104 pins?

At this point I don't know that much about it. I hope to see all of it tomorrow. But if it does have 104 computer how much extra hassle are we talking?

Thanks for everyone help on this!

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru

Ok I couldn't get out to see the motor & trans but I asked the owner to count the pins for me. Unfortunately he did pop the harness plug out of the computer but just counted the wires. He came up with 40 wires in total. Can I assume that it's s 60 pin then a 104 pin factory computer?

Thanks again Jeff

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru
Ok after picking up the 4.9L and trans I found out that the seller was wrong about the year of mortor and trans. It's really from '92 F150 2WD not a '96 but he correct that it does appear to be a low mileage motor and trans. So I'm guessing it's not OBD-II and doesn't not have the PATS???

Thanks Jeff

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok after picking up the 4.9L and trans I found out that the seller was wrong about the year of mortor and trans. It's really from '92 F150 2WD not a '96 but he correct that it does appear to be a low mileage motor and trans. So I'm guessing it's not OBD-II and doesn't not have the PATS???

Thanks Jeff

Not OBD2 and no PATS. I reworked a wiring harness to put a '95 EFI 300 into an EB. It wasn't too bad at all. '92 should be similar. Here are my notes.

Attachments

• EFI 300 wiring.pdf
    675.9 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru
Not OBD2 and no PATS. I reworked a wiring harness to put a '95 EFI 300 into an EB. It wasn't too bad at all. '92 should be similar. Here are my notes.

Thanks!!! That's some excellent info you just gave me! I'll read over the link you sent to but I might still contacting you for some quick and easy questions for my initial build plans.