• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Motor Mounts 101

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Gang,

I have a question about motor mounts.
Recently, I noticed that my engine fan and radiator are very close to each other with only a tiny bit of space keeping me from a disaster. However close it is, I have yet to have any problems, I just thought always thought it was strange.
After poking around on eBay for misc. parts I saw that "monster" motor mounts were available. The ad says, "These Motor Mounts are fully rebuildable and will prevent the engine fan from hitting your radiator due to the engine shifting forward with your old worn out or broken stock mounts."
I don't have an aluminum radiator but I know that the engine was a crate motor dropped in by the PO.

From what I have described, does this sound like I may have bad motor mounts?

If need be, I could snap a picture...

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Does the motor rise a lot when you crack the throttle?
Can you stick a pry bar under the mount and it is loose?
Before you toss the mounts think about this, the fan should be 3/4 of an inch to 1 and 1/2 inches from the radiator. It is easier to move Radiators than motors. Or they make differant fan spacers.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D And if you aer worried about it look at the new motor mounts sold at most parts shops they have a bolt through them so that wont happen.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

wmish

Loc.
Annapolis, Maryland
Slumloard,

I have the same problem in my bronco. My Stock 302 seems way to close to radiator 1/4 inch clearance at most. Does replacing the motor mounts solve this problem?

Bill

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
I bought a set of those mounts from wild horses, trouble is they raised my Cleveland about 1/4" higher than with stock mounts, it interfeared with my throttle linkage and i had to go back to the stock style. It would probably be easier, cheaper, and just as good to go with a radiator guard.