• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Motor-Tranny- Brake issues

badkarma510

Loc.
Fort Smith, Ar
I have a 77 that has had the motor (302) and tranny (C4) rebuilt with a full time front axel and a dana 20 transfer case.

Now..... I took it to get the timing and carb adjusted and was told there was a problem because it was starting off in 2nd gear. Also told timing was 15 degrees off..... once they adjust the carb the brake pedal got really hard and still runs like crap. Told my mechanic what they told me and his buddy called me saying that was normal to start off in second if first gear wasn't needed.

Is there a break in period for the motor and tranny after being rebuilt? Tried to start today and ran like crap...... barely kept running, could I have trashed my plugs? any input would be nice. Thanks.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Hard to tell with so little info. Do you know how to use a timing light and vacuum gauge? If you don;'t have one, go buy a vacuum gauge and a dial back timing light. Adjust timing to max vacuum and where it seems to idle best, adjust fast idle on throttle to put RPMS at about 900, then adjust idle screws one at a time to max vacuum. I usually put them back in a quarter turn after that. Make sure they are both out approx. the same number of turns. Now find out where your timing is at..

You could have bad wires, , bad fuel filter, etc, etc,// ?

Are you saying your mechanic could not get it running? There is no break in period to get the motor running well. It should run well right away. Who rebuilt these things for you?? I have never had an auto trans start in second gear.

Is your choke on in morning when cold? Is it staying on too long? Does exhaust smell like gas?

OP
OP
B

badkarma510

Loc.
Fort Smith, Ar
holley 550 2 barrel, electric choke...... took it to race car shop and they got the vacuum gague and timing light on it..... thinking may be plugs or wires to start with