• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Motorcraft carb (newbie)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even better! Hah! Thanks. I think I say 13 a lot, but sometimes get the 12 correct too.
Either way though, it has turned out to be a worthwhile investment for many of us here JTex.
Very convenient being able to add images right from your computer of phone. I don't like to throw money at a website right after joining, not being sure how good the band-for-the-buck ratio is. But in the case of ClassicBroncos, I'm pretty sure the ROI is epic!

Paul

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
I wouldn't deal with the idle stop solenoid at this point. It was designed to allow the butterfly valves in the carb to fully close when the engine is shut off (reduce emissions and dieseling). Just adjust the idle using the other screw.
Sounds like the biggest issue is the carb plate as that can certainly cause a lean condition if it's cracked.
Be careful with the teflon tape. I've used it before for the same reason you are but it can easily clog a nice clean, small fuel passage way.

OP
OP
JTex_4

JTex_4

Alright, thanks again guys! So I’ll take the idle stop off for now. Also, I’ll try to re-tap the thread for the fuel filter and see if that will hold for a while at least. How necessary is the carb spacer? Could I get away without it while I’m just piddling with it in the garage? I hear that if the carb is right on top of the intake it will get warm enough to evaporate the fuel out of the carb?? I’m hoping I can just get it running good enough to pull in and out of the garage while I start working on floor pans etc.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The carb spacer does help prevent heat soak and fuel boiling. It is also your connection point for the PCV tubing. It should be retained, either repaired or replaced. If you just need it to run temporarily you should be ok without it but it should be fixed before you do much driving.