• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mount tach on Steerting column

noah977

Loc.
Hollywood, CA
I bought a nice Auto-Guage tach today. Eager to get it installed. It seems simple enough that even a newbie like me can do it.

I notice that lots of people mount it on the steerint column. I like that. How is this done??

Thanks,

-N

rellimgneb

Loc.
Reno, Nv
Forget the hose clamps I think they look a little tacky. When mine was there what I did was drill a hole through the plastic cover that goes around the steering column (I don't remember what it's called right now) then just put one of the studs on the back of the tack through it and put a little nut and washer on it. I cut the other stud off the tach and then just nothched out a little area on the plastic cover so the wires could pass through. Then just reinstall the cover with the tach attached to it. The cover will only be held in by one scew now instead of two but it isnt a problem because the top and bottom covers kind of snap together. I know it was only held in by one nut but it was on there for a few years and never moved, and it looked like it was meant to be there.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I use a hose clamp as well for both the speedo and tach.

Attachments

• SaddleUp25.jpg
    SaddleUp25.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 81
  • SaddleUp70.jpg
    SaddleUp70.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 90

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I used hose clamps on mine as well but I changed it to Flexi-Cuffs aka huge zip-ties.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Hose Clamp as well and covered it with a velcro sports watch band ;D
Yep hoaky i guess but it works ;D

Attachments

• Bezel1.jpg
    Bezel1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Bezel2.jpg
    Bezel2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 48

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Mine is the hokey one. I didn't have a hose clamp large enough so I undid 2 of then and threaded them into each other to make it long enough.

The sweetest set up I saw was the column shifter modified, rotated, and locked to the column. The end of the shifter was made flat and holds the tach. I am guessing a lot of Bondo. Someday I will just remember to pick up a hose clamp from the depot and run that.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
FWIW, Hose clamps do a decent job of holding fire extinguishers on the roll bar as well. I've even gone so far as to use hose clamps to hold tools (an axe in particular) down so they couldn't fly around and hit someone in a rollover.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
noah977 said:
I bought a nice Auto-Guage tach today. Eager to get it installed. It seems simple enough that even a newbie like me can do it.

I notice that lots of people mount it on the steerint column. I like that. How is this done??

Thanks,

-N
Did your tach come with a mounting pod?

fwilder

I hit my hose clamp with some flat black paint. Didn't think it would hold up, but ten years later it still looks fine.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
A previous owner drilled two holes, and then ran a tap to cut threads in the holes. So mine is screwed right into the column

Attachments

• broncocollum.JPG
    broncocollum.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 36

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
broncotime said:
So when you have a fire you grab a screwdriver and start loosening it up?? Sorry, I couldn't resist :)
No, The hose clamp was to hold the bracket on. When I have a fire I pull the little clip, grab the extinguisher, turn it backwards and spray myself in the face, then turn it around and use it to put the fire out. ;D And yes, that is a true story. (It took a couple hours for the salty taste to disappear) When I was cutting my first shock hoop off some slag burned through my fuel line and it was literally dripping fire under it. Fortunately one of my extinguishers (I always carry two) was right over the side on the roll bar.