• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mounts for BC 23 gallon tank

Gsxr7000

Contributor
I just picked up a BC 23 gallon tank. Looks to be brand new, but there are not any mounts with it. Any where I can get them ?

OP
OP
Gsxr7000

Gsxr7000

Contributor
Unistrut

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618_211359_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_211359_Chrome.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20240618_211351_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_211351_Chrome.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 27

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
So the part that you weld to your frame is just an angled piece of steel with a hole for the bolt:
10 Pack 2 Hole L Shaped 90 Degree Angle Connector Bracket Fit for 1/2" Bolt in 1-5/8" Strut Channel, Thickness 4.8mm, Steel Surface Electrogalvanized https://a.co/d/02BmyCyo

You can buy unistrut cams at your local hardware store or Amazon:
1/2" x 15/16" Strut Channel Nut and Bolt Set (10-Pack) https://a.co/d/0jb6x3pQ

1. Position the tank in place with a floor jack. Get it as high as you can but you do not want it touching the underside of the bed, there should be at least some clearance there.
2. Hold up angle brackets and mark position on frame.
3. Remove tank from vehicle.
3. Frame will be fully boxed in this position so your best bet is to weld the brackets to the frame.
4. Reposition tank in and attach with unistrut bolts.

-JB

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
So the part that you weld to your frame is just an angled piece of steel with a hole for the bolt:
10 Pack 2 Hole L Shaped 90 Degree Angle Connector Bracket Fit for 1/2" Bolt in 1-5/8" Strut Channel, Thickness 4.8mm, Steel Surface Electrogalvanized https://a.co/d/02BmyCyo

You can buy unistrut cams at your local hardware store or Amazon:
1/2" x 15/16" Strut Channel Nut and Bolt Set (10-Pack) https://a.co/d/0jb6x3pQ

1. Position the tank in place with a floor jack. Get it as high as you can but you do not want it touching the underside of the bed, there should be at least some clearance there.
2. Hold up angle brackets and martk position on frame.
3. Remove tank from vehicle.
3. Frame will be fully boxed in this position so your best bet is to weld the brackets to the frame.
4. Reposition tank in and attach with unistrut bolts.

-JB
That's not the same as the BC Broncos tank brackets. If you haven't contacted BC Broncos...give them a call. They probably have the brackets you need.

More importantly, please do not weld your brackets to the frame. After you set your height with your strut nuts, you will need to weld the brackets TO THE STRUT! If you don't, the tank will fall out of the Bronco. (mine did...) Unistrut nuts are not adequate to hold a lateral load like that. They come loose, and the tank falls down.

So if you weld the bracket to the frame, and then weld the bracket to the tank, you have basically welded the tank to the Bronco. And that's not a good idea.
You want to be able to remove and service the tank AFTER you weld the brackets to the strut.

If you can't get the brackets from BC, then go ahead and build them. It's just a piece of angled steel as @Johnnyb says...but it is gussetted, and has a hole in it to bolt it to the frame. I'm guessing it's about a 2.5 x 2.5 angle with a gusset.

It's a good tank. It' just a little bit skinny, and hangs down more than the others. But the adjustable height is clever. (only useful once...but still clever.)

OP
OP
Gsxr7000

Gsxr7000

Contributor
I picked it up Sat so I was definitely going to call BC on Monday. I need a filler hose as well. Then since I have a carb I'll need to run new lines and the correct regulator to the carb since this is a fuel injection tank setup.

OP
OP
Gsxr7000

Gsxr7000

Contributor
I have read some past threads on BC efi tanks and I saw some comments that you can use the mechanical pump to pull to the carb ? How does that work ?

Itsa67

Interested to see what comes of this. I too have a BC tank without any mounting hardware.

OP
OP
Gsxr7000

Gsxr7000

Contributor
Interested to see what comes of this. I too have a BC tank without any mounting hardware.
You will need to call them. I called today and they were very helpful. So they don't have any extra brackets because they only ordered enough for each tank they sold.
However they are getting ready to have a run of aluminum 23 gallon tanks which will use the same mounts. If you call now they can order extra mounts from the vendor when the do a run on tanks.

Itsa67

You will need to call them. I called today and they were very helpful. So they don't have any extra brackets because they only ordered enough for each tank they sold.
However they are getting ready to have a run of aluminum 23 gallon tanks which will use the same mounts. If you call now they can order extra mounts from the vendor when the do a run on tanks.
Excellent! I will give them a call and see what they want for them (low budget deal). Thanks

gick70

Remember to flush it out as early ones had sand in from blasting,ask me how I know !!