• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MSD Ignition ?

72BlueBronco

I'm looking to replace my stock 77 ignition module with an MSD ignition.
What are the best ones for the Broncos with a 302 in'em.

Thanks!

abrdn419

Contributor
I bought the MSD 6A for my rig, and love it. I've used the 6A in several vehicles. I really recommend this unit. The Off Road is good too but, I'm not sure of alot of the benifits from it. I know the off road version is sealed better and more shock resistent. But I think the 6A is just fine.
Chris

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have a 1 inch body lift I would go with the gears r us (Ebay name) 1 wire hei gm style distributor. I put one on Shemp Walkers bronco and it is wonderful. It cost 120.00 for the whole setup. Good Luck, BI

OP
OP
72BlueBronco

72BlueBronco

ransil said:
Stock system should be fine, spend your $200 else where.

My problem is I keep blown through ignition modules every couple of months and I just would rather replace the whole system with something new than trouble shoot the problem

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I've got the MSD off-road with por-billet distributor. just started it yesterday....vvvvVVVrrrRRRRooooOOOOmmmMMM!! :cool:

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
The stock ignition on a 77 should be pretty good. If you are blowing through modules, make sure you know what the problem is before you replace it. I would hate to start blowing through MSD boxes.

If you decide to change your system out, I run the MSD/6al in my other car and I love it.

ransil

Bronco Guru
blue72 said:
My problem is I keep blown through ignition modules every couple of months and I just would rather replace the whole system with something new than trouble shoot the problem

You have issues, first check the grounding of the module case, a sheet metal screw to the fender is not good ground. Inspect you connectors and wires.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
A poor ground on the module will fry it every time. The MSD won't fix that.

In something that doesn't see over 6000 rpm, you are not going to see any difference between a Duraspark or an MSD except for price. The MSD really comes into its own at 6000+ when it can fire the sparks slightly ahead of time and keep the detonation down on a race motor by firing multiple smaller sparks. They are good boxes but totally unnecesary for the street and most of all a Bronco.

Ford Racing also makes replacement blue module boxes with MSD internals that bolt into the stock location and use the stock wiring. That way you can carry a spare Duraspark module just in case.

I personally don't like the 1 wire HEI dist. just because of location. The idea of having all my electronics crammed inside of the distributor just scares me. I've seen far too many Chevy's break down on hot days because they fried the module inside the hot distributor. I say leave the Chevy parts on the Chevys.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I thought the MSD off-road worked better for our lower RPM rigs than the other MSDs? Seems pretty nice to me. I even get better gas mileage.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
76Broncofromhell said:
In something that doesn't see over 6000 rpm, you are not going to see any difference between a Duraspark or an MSD except for price. The MSD really comes into its own at 6000+ when it can fire the sparks slightly ahead of time and keep the detonation down on a race motor by firing multiple smaller sparks. They are good boxes but totally unnecesary for the street and most of all a Bronco.

Theres always critics about MSD boxes whenever someone mentions them in any forum. What you're saying is the Nitrous guys are wasting there time with MSD boxes unless theyre turning there motors past 6 grand? Pretty sure the MSD box provides a hotter spark at any RPM. I run one in my Mustang, and I see improved starting, especially cold start, and i also pull a little better gas mileage. 2 things that i dont mind having them on the street and in my Bronco.

teqoso

Loc.
walnut creek,ca
I just finished the install of my efi rewire with ryan's harness. My MSD 6A box was functioning properly and with no troubles until I was done with this current project. I did relocate the ground of my box to the mounting posts of the box to the fender, so when I start I get nothing. But when I bypass the box, the engine turns over. I have run the MSD box on everything that can take a box and have seen nothing but good results, until this.

Is my ground improperly installed, or did I fry the box?

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
You could try talking to the MSD guys in ElPaso. I have a box I'm sending to them to see if they can repair it.

(915) 857-5200

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
HotWheels said:
You could try talking to the MSD guys in ElPaso. I have a box I'm sending to them to see if they can repair it.

(915) 857-5200

They are pretty nice guys. Mine quit working after the one year warranty was up, but they still sent me a brand new 6AL.

YellowBronc

Bronco God
I have nothing bad to say about my MSD setup. I originally replaced my points with the pertronix. Now, I'm not knocking pertronix as it served me very well during its stay under the hood. But after iinstalling the 6AL box, distributor and coil, the Bronc never ran better. My decision to put in the MSD was to enhance the spark on trails. With being carburated it would stumble a little with the fuel sloshing. Now it idles and starts fantastic and unless I'm on an extreme angle while wheeling it won't stall on me. I've had it now for well over 2 years and it's never failed me. (Knock wood)

I say its a good investment

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
This link has a trouble shooting section and makes mention of some efi wiring systems needing a special adaptor plug due to otherwise to low of voltage to fire the box, or something like that.

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6series.pdf

Although I have no ides how to fix the problem, some clues might be found in that link, or some possibilities eliminated before calling tomorrow, but I suspect it is hook up related and not fried.

Good Luck !