• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mudding In BFG All-Terrains

G

I've heard some bad things about mudding in the BFG A/T tires. But I wanted to know if it could hold it's ground. What do yall think? Is it so bad where it's not even tryable? Or can it take a fair amount of mud? But it's obviously not swampers.

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
I have run those tires for about 2 years on my truck. Very pleased with them. About 80% road, 10%sand and 10%mud. Like you say, they are not swampers, but they are a good all 'round comprimise. Aggressive enough for most moderate situations, but good driveability,

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I think as the name implies, All Terrain tires are built to run on a variety of surfaces, and thus sacrifice when used in any one specific area. They are excellent tires and do best in moderate situations. The tread design "Fills up" quickly with mud and cannot clean itself as easy as MTs or Swampers. I have run ATs and love them. The statement that ATS don't work well in mud is subjective. Remember, there is a point when MTS or Swampers don't work well in mud also

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
They're not going to come close to the swampers, but that doesn't mean you can't go have some fun in the mud with them. I drove my sisters jeep through a field that all the guys with mud tires said it wouldn't go through because "you can't go mud boggin' with at's". Alot if it is driving, but if you want a serious mud bogger you need the right tires and high horsepower. My advise would be to take what you have and see how far you can go. But, that's only my opinion.

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
I went muddin last night in my EB with my friend in his 2000 something heep. I have 35" bfg at and he has 31" inch mtr's. And i went through so much more than he did. But then again that doesnt say much cuz he was in a heep. and the EB is like 3 times bigger. However i am getting swampers soon. prob ssr's not sure yet though.

broncomaddness

Loc.
Corpus Christi, Texa
I run those tires, but the soil down here has huge amount of clay in the mix, and the tire's voids aren't wide enough to through it out. Before you know it the tires get so caked that you're essentialy running slicks. I would run bfg muds even on a daily driver.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
I have 32 x 11.50 AT's on my truck right now, and the only complaint I have is that the little rocks that are in the mud get into the voids in the tires, and when getting back on the highway they fly off and do a number on the paint on the front of my rear cutout flares. I also had to glue some carpet padding on the underside of my front fenders to prevent any more "tiddies" from appearing on the crest of the top of the front fenders.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
They are not the best but if thats what ya got then run em. Once they get full of mud they are like a drag slick. I would recommend in deep mud to get lots o momentum.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I ran at's on my 73, it wasn't too bad in mud, as long as I wasn't doing some serious gumbo. On ice, I don't think anything works.<br><br>snake

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
The road I use to get to and from my house is full of clay and, when wet, the grooves of my ATs do get filled. We're talking about 4" deep, squishy, sticky mud. And, yeah, it's kind of like riding on slicks at that point. However, I was able to tow my Ch**y van down that road the other day even with the mud caked on the tires like donuts. Guess it has a lot to do with the consistency of the mud at the time and how you drive it. I too sometimes have to punch through some of the muddiest areas with a little speed. When I don't, I can usually power grind down to some solid footing to get out. That's another thing. A narrower tire seems to work better. Mine are LT215x15s. --Mike D.