• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mustang 5.0 valve cover and PCV help?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Hi, I seem to be running into small problems a lot lately. I have a 1989 5.0 roller motor that I rebuilt and converted to a carb. I used truck valve covers which have the oil fill on the drivers side. I made a cold air intake for it and I needed to move the oil filler to the passenger side. A member on here suggested getting mustang valve covers, so I found a set. The filler is on the passenger side and that solves that problem.
I have a few questions on the PCV system. The truck valve covers have a large tube coming off of the filler neck (drivers side) and the passenger side has a hole for a PCV valve in the back side. The mustang passenger side has a smaller tube coming off of the filler neck, the drivers side has no holes.
I would like to know where the best place to run the small tube to would be. I am also curious if I need to cut a hole in the drivers side cover and install a PCV valve (if so where should I run it to)
Here is a pic of what it looks like with the truck style valve covers that are currently on there for reference.
As always Thanks in advance! I appreciate any and all comments yall have!

Attachments

• IMG_3296.jpg
    IMG_3296.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 78

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The issue is the mustang uses a PCV in the intake that pulls from the valley and not a valve cover. Thus you don't have a place to put the PCV.
The small tube at the oil fill is the fresh air in on the EFI. It lets fresh filtered air (after the Mass Airflow meter if present) into the engine and is a secondary exhaust for blowby under full throttle. Do the same in your application. Plumb it to the intake after the filter.
As for the PCV just drilling a hole in the valve cover, unless you make the baffling correct the oil splatter is going to get sucked into the PCV and you are going to be burning oil. I don't have a good way around that.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the reply. What if I use the truck passenger valve cover on the drivers side? Will it matter if the PCV is in the front of the valve cover? I know they won't match but it would solve the problem. My Bronco will be a driver and I am not concerned with minor cosmetic issues.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Those valve covers were used on carbureted police cars with both 5.0 and 5.8 engines, so I wouldn't call them truck parts. The PCV and breather ports are just like the OE Bronco covers. The PCV is plumbed to the 5/8" tube on the side of the filler tube. The breather hole is in the pass. side valve cover just like the OE Bronco valve cover. Your carb cover should have a breather nipple to supply clean air to the crank case like the OE Bronco air cleaner. These '80s valve covers are likely the best Ford made for small blocks. The steel is several times as thick as the earlier types. The oil filler has a no leak screw on cap. They use steel gaskets with synthetic seals/gaskets that don't leak, are reusable, and the steel prevents over tightening that bends older covers.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I said truck valve covers was because the first 5.0 I pulled with those valve covers was out of an F250 truck. The other motor with the valve covers I need (and the motor I rebuilt) came out of a Mustang. I should have mentioned that in my first post. The Mustang valve covers are easily twice as thick as the others and very stout.
Just need to figure out how to get where I need to go with the setup I have.
Thanks for the info, always appreciated.
Have a good one!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
PCV does not care which valve cover it pulls from. Should be the opposite side from the vent side, so the fresh air flows through the engine and not just the one valve cover.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Broncobowsher, Thanks for the help. I have to remove both valve covers anyways, so I will check out the baffling on the valve covers and see if I can duplicate it or just just the passenger side on the drivers side. Either way I think I am going to be set.
Thanks for the help and have a good one!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I finally found some valve covers to make this work. I used the mustang valve cover on the passenger side for the fill tube and used an older style valve cover to get the PCV valve on the drivers side.
My question now is where to install the tube from the passenger side fill to the air intake I built. I was not sure where the best spot would be so I thought I better ask before doing it twice. In addition, do I need to put a filter on the end that hooks to the air intake?
Here is a pic of what it looks like now.
Thanks in advance!
Edit: I was thinking of threading or welding a fitting in the housing on the carb or on the first section of 4 inch tubing.

Attachments

• IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 15

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The valve covers you had in your first post had a 5/8" nipple on the side of the oil filler tube. It was specifically there for PCV. The plumbing from there could go to either the front or rear of the carb or spacer. The hole in the passenger side valve cover simply took a rubber grommet that held a breather elbow to plumb by hose to a clean air source just like all the early Ford small blocks, including those in EBs. I don't understand why you thought this was odd or different. There were the '60s EBs that had the PCV hose to the pass. side valve cover and the breather in the driver's side valve cover. The black valve covers are doing the same thing as the 5.8 PI valve covers you started with. The first valve covers had a 5/8" nipple that's the same diameter as the big end of a PCV valve it was made for. All you you did was move the oil filler to the pass. side. In both cases you're stuck with no clean air source that the OE air cleaner had.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
The other valve covers were backwards. I needed t move the fill tube to the passenger front. The filler was under my air intake tube. I could have used them on the other sides but that would have put the filler in the rear passenger side. I wanted it up front. The mustang style passenger is the one I have on there currently which puts the fill in the front of the passenger side. My other valve cover I have on the drivers side has the rubber grommet up front where the fill tube used to be, I have the PCV valve in that running to the base of the carb. I just need to know where the best spot to run the 3/8 tube on the passenger fill to the air intake setup I have now. I had a reply early on about it being after the filter and the maf, which I do not have.
Just looking for clarification on that end. The other mustang valve cover for the drivers side did not allow for a PCV and was too low profile to add one. That is why I went with another style for the drivers side.

Edit: I could have used the first set passenger on the drivers side for the PCV valve but I opted to get one that was ready to install.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Maybe the confusion is my fault when I said I was thinking of threading the fitting to the carb. What I was trying to say is hook it to a place somewhere on the air cleaner housing on top of the carb, or to the tube feeding the housing on the carb. I can weld or drill and thread wherever necessary. Hope that clears it up a bit, I am not a scholar by any means.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, your new hose barb/fitting can go anywhere in the hat, or the tube.
Anything behind the filter is fine. Since it's not vacuum, there's not much chance of it pulling harder than the full manifold vacuum seen at the PCV valve.

Most engines of this type where the PCV is in the back of the intake manifold, have the hose fitting just ahead of the throttle body. Others will plumb it farther up the line towards the filter, but I believe that most decisions on where to put it are for convenience and cost (shorter hose, less cost) rather than any change in performance.

You can use the same reasoning, plus add the aesthetics factor. Put it where it looks good in other words.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could even bend up some 3/8" steel tubing and route it wherever you wanted, for a nice clean look too. Run it straight across the engine adjacent to the PCV hose and then up to a new fitting in the intake tube.
More work, more "in your face" but also pretty trick and custom looking.

Or just stick in the hat and run a short bit of tubing to it and done!

By the way, what carburetor is that?

Paul

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Paul,
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate your insight on everything Bronco. The carb is a Q jet, not sure what year, got it from a friend, hopefully it will work out. I will be able to get back to the Bronco this weekend and make a decision one way or the other. I was hoping it wouldn't matter where for the install.
Thanks for the help! Have a good one!

Steve