• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mustang EFI Harness/Computer harvesting,what harness section to get, what's it worth?

mattt

Bronco Guru
For the first time ever, I found not one but two, 89-93 5.0 Mustangs in a junkyard that have the EFI harness and computer still in them. I've been looking for at least 9 months now, and the computer and/or harness was always missing. I'm planning to install a 94 Lightning engine in my EB with Mustang MA EFI components.

The first one I found is an 89 Manual, the second is a 91 Auto. The 89 Man. has a A9S computer, the 91 Auto has a A9P computer. I'm thinking of grabbing both computers(one for spare)...cashier told me $45 each. Is that a fair price for a computer???

I started pulling the harness out of the 89 because the upper intake was already removed. What I'm not sure about is how much of the harness I actually need. Seems like there are 4 parts to it.
1) Main ECM harness that has the plug for the ECM.
2)Engine harness with Injector plugs, etc.
3)Headlight harness that goes across the front of the car and has the Alternator wiring plugs in it.
4)Harness that is on the drivers side inner fender and goes thru the firewall and behind the gauge cluster. This portion has a lot of fusible links in it, & plugs for horn, windshield washer, and brake MC.

Do I need all 4 portions of that harness to retrofit into an EB. I'm sure I need #1 & #2. I'm not sure about #3 & #4.
Do I need #3, or can the Alt. wiring plugs be tapped into a different part of the #1 harness?

If I need #4, can I cut it at the firewall, or do I need part of it is that is behind the gauge cluster inside the car?

Cashier told me roughly $60 for a harness. Is that a fair price for a used harness? Basically I'd be in $110 for a used harness and computer. Then I'd have to have someone work some magic on the harness so it will work in the EB. RK harness comes to mind.

Since I've never done EFI before, I'm not sure how much and which harness sections to grab. Seems like from what I've read here and on fordfuelinjection.com that either of these computers will work.

Is there any difference between the 89 harness and the 91 harness? One bummer on the 91 harness is that someone took the MAF from the car already and they clipped the wires with the MAF plug.

Is $110 a good deal for harness & computer that I should take the time to get the harness out of the car? I've already spent about an hour on the 89 harness and I haven't touched the 91 harness. It's definitely some time to get those harnesses out of the car. I broke one or two of the plastic clips on the 89 harness, one side of an injector clip, and some other one I can't remember. Can those be replaced, or does every plastic clip need to come out of the car un-broken?

Anything else from either of these Mustangs I should grab that I didn't already mention?

Thanks in advance for any pointers, advice, etc.

Last edited:

mr.n

For the first time ever, I found not one but two, 89-93 5.0 Mustangs in a junkyard that have the EFI harness and computer still in them.

Seems like there are 4 parts to it.
1) Main ECM harness that has the plug for the ECM.
2)Engine harness with Injector plugs, etc.
3)Headlight harness that goes across the front of the car and has the Alternator wiring plugs in it.
4)Harness that is on the drivers side inner fender and goes thru the firewall and behind the gauge cluster. This portion has a lot of fusible links in it, & plugs for horn, windshield washer, and brake MC.

Is $110 a good deal for harness & computer that I should take the time to get the harness out of the car?
A little high on Price, but like you said how common are these in your area?

Below is a 92 harness, and I just used 1 & 2 from your above list.
See my web page for the plug info
92stang5.0lwireharness.gif

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Ok, one response says "at that price, grab it all" and yours says "A little high." Obviously junkyards in different areas have different pricing. If this is a little high, what would be more reasonable and appropriate in your opinion?

Mustangs are very common in local junkyards, but the computers most often are always gone by the time I am at the junkyard. Harnesses are usually there, but this is the first correct year computers I've seen.

If you use #1 & #2 only, what have you used for Alt. and whatever is in #4? With #1 & #2 only, can you easily tie that into the existing Bronco harness?

For the record, I checked computer prices at AutoZone and Kragen this afternoon, they quoted anywhere between $110 & $220. Kragen mentioned a $100 core charge.

A little high on Price, but like you said how common are these in your area?

92stang5.0lwireharness.gif

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Computers are always on ebay, but 45 is close to what I paid for mine, so just grab em. The old saying goes 'a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush' prices vary. Some of the deals the guys get in the south makes me sick. If your junkyards are like mine you only get a 'decent' deal once in a lifetime. I was quoted $1200 for a long block here....

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I've looked on Ebay, and I think I've seen them over $100 IIRC?? Haven't looked in a few months though. I try to not base value on Ebay prices too much though as I've seen some stuff sell for ridiculous prices there.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I use $100 as the standard for used computers. I have seen them cheaper ($75) on ocassion and they go fast. So with my math, I think you could sell off the spare harness and computer and it will pay for the harness and computer you are using, plus you get to hand pick the best of the bunch.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks to everyone for weighing in on the price/value of computers.

What I need to figure out now is how much of the Mustang harness to grab. I know I need #1 & #2. What about #3 & #4? Where to cut #4...at the firewall?

ransil

Bronco Guru
start pulling the wire at the computer.
grab everything including the solenoid and alt harness.
Grab the injector and O2 harness.

leave the headlight stuff.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
What is the "solenoid harness?"

The alternator harness is part of the headlight harness.

Come to think of it, I didn't notice the O2 harness, where does that branch off from? Is that on the main ECU harness or one of the other 3?

localrich

Loc.
Sandy, UT
o2 sensors at front of motor below dampner.

all you need is the 3 in the pictures.

this is wrong :eek:

o2 are in the exhaust pipes, more inline with the front of the trans / flywheel

Matt let me know when you want to tackle the install I'll bring my soldering iron and some beer shouldn't be to bad, we can use my harness from RYAN to base it off of ;D

ransil

Bronco Guru
What is the "solenoid harness?"

The alternator harness is part of the headlight harness.

Come to think of it, I didn't notice the O2 harness, where does that branch off from? Is that on the main ECU harness or one of the other 3?

Get the solenoid and what is attached to it.
O2 harness is behind the motor, you will have to dig deep.
Headlight harness is separate from theAlt, if not grab both sort it out later.

mr.n

If you use #1 & #2 only, what have you used for Alt. and whatever is in #4? With #1 & #2 only, can you easily tie that into the existing Bronco harness?
Good point on the Alternator harness. I skipped that, and pulled the harness out of a Torus along with the G3 Alt.

Yes, this is the part that ties into your harness. Plug "Q" ties into # W/Pk to Crank only # R/G to Crank and Run # R/LB to Crank only. Plug "B" ties into # Gr/Y Run only # Dk G/Y Inertia switch (Then to Fuel pump positive)
# Pk/G Check Engine Light (ground side, need power from other side of light)
I found the male / female plugs on the Mustang to plug into each of these, and spliced those wires. Works great!
(fyi, all this is on my web page. Fordfuelinjection was not around when I did this, sure is great wealth of knowledge)

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
He is actually right. The O2 harness drops from the engine compartment right where the dampner is, then it travels back to the O2's along the oil pan rail.

this is wrong :eek:

o2 are in the exhaust pipes, more inline with the front of the trans / flywheel

Matt let me know when you want to tackle the install I'll bring my soldering iron and some beer shouldn't be to bad, we can use my harness from RYAN to base it off of ;D

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Get the solenoid and what is attached to it.
O2 harness is behind the motor, you will have to dig deep.
Headlight harness is separate from theAlt, if not grab both sort it out later.

Which solenoid are you referencing?

I picked up two harnesses and two computers yesterday. The O2 harness actually drops out of the engine compartment up front. I left the Alt harness as it is part of the headlight harness. I'll probably use the Bronco Alt. harness, and just swap the ends/plugs to work with the Alt. on the engine.

Is there a way to test the ECU's as I have a 2 week warranty on them. If they are no good, I'd like to return/exchange them in the warranty period.

Time to get busy on the harness so it is clean and will work in the Bronco.

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa

Mr.N,
What's the address of your website.

Mattt,
You can also peruse the classifieds on corral.net. There are a lot of harnesses, computers, MAFs, injectors, etc. for sale on there and decent prices.

Ryan.