• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mustang Power Steering Pump

wgamble

Loc.
Bossier City
So finally going to be installing a 4x4x2 box this weekend, the motor in the Bronco is an Mustang HO with the stock power steering pump. Will this pump work with no issues keeping up and turning 35" tires?

I can still get the machine shop at work to convert it to hydro assist if i need to but don't want to if it is unneeded.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Same vintage F250 CII pump will be better and bolt-in but not as good as a Saginaw. The Mustang pump is meant for a rack and pinion. The F250 pump is meant for recirculating ball gear box.

Toddpole

Contributor
"I can still get the machine shop at work to convert it to hydro assist if i need to but don't want to if it is unneeded."

I recommend having the box tapped for hydro assist while you have it out. Tap the holes for 1/4" NPT and screw a plug into them until you're ready for hydro assist. All you need to do at that point is replace the plugs with hydraulic adapters to connect your hoses to.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"I can still get the machine shop at work to convert it to hydro assist if i need to but don't want to if it is unneeded."

I recommend having the box tapped for hydro assist while you have it out. Tap the holes for 1/4" NPT and screw a plug into them until you're ready for hydro assist. All you need to do at that point is replace the plugs with hydraulic adapters to connect your hoses to.

X2...it's at the machine shop and you're there, you may as well. Hydro-assist is worth it's weight in gold on the trail IMO.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
The Mustang pump will work up to 33" tires after that it's a no go. Yes I tried.