• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My $102 Radiator is leaking

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Well it lasted for almost 2 years. I guess those little kids in China are still working on their welding skills. Just a tiny leak on one of the seams. I'll see if I get get it fixed on Mon. Thurs. I'm leaving for TDS, So I'll make sure I have a fresh pack of JB weld, just in case.

tonybronco123

I love it how everybody bashes china and their quality but all of us want cheaper prices and continue to buy goods produced there (like the $102 radiator). Come to think of it, I'm always reading about people on this thread buying from HF - last time I checked, 99% of the stuff in there is from China, the other from Mexico.

crab

Bronco Guru
Wish I would have gone that rout instead of the $500+ I spent on a leaky RD:mad:

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
NOOOOOOOO I better check my coolant one of these days. On a good note about a month ago I accadently pushed my chinese rad. into my clutch fan bad enough that it made a indentation and didnt leak.(yet)

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I put a hole in my Excursion radiator with an errant ratchet while replacing the serp belt. They were able to fix it without any issue, its aluminum as well. Think it cost me $40 to fix that and clean and test.
Mine is still going strong in my Bronco but I dont have a lot of miles on it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
My first RD radiator started leaking a couple years after I bought it. It was only in use for 6 months though. I sent it back to RD and they sent me a new one. That was a year ago and no more leaks so far.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
$102 radiator?%)
Never, ever cheap out on the radiator! It can save the motor. I have actually bought radiators from three reputable Bronco vendors (all four core.) None made it to their second birthday. The one I now have came from the local radiator shop. I ordered their best three row staggered core. It cools, fits and has better workmanship than the others. The price was even less. On the car for six years now.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
A lot of people have spent bookoo bucks on top of the line rads olny to have them leak two months later, that chineese rad deal was one of the best bang for the buck deals Ive ever done.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
The radiator on my bronco was stamped 1995. I just had to take it to the shop to be resealed. Started leaking at the seam after I did some fun wheeling. They rodded it out since it was there. All total $60.00.

I think it's a fair price.

Those guys fix aluminum just as easily as they do with brass. I watched em. Pretty skilled.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Very few shops will mess with aluminum radiators. Not a lot of shops around that will actual repair any radiator they rather sell you a new one. They'll sell you the $102 radiator for $150-200 then wait for you to come back.
Sounds like you got a very good deal if they fixed it and rodded it for $60

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Hey those $102 radiators had a life time warranty if my memory serves me correctly....mine is still going strong so far.;)

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Hey those $102 radiators had a life time warranty if my memory serves me correctly....mine is still going strong so far.;)

Yes, Buldozer is right, they do have a lifetime warrenty. Buldozer is the one who let us know about the typo. I have no regrets. I pulled it out today, and my buddy will fix the pinhole tomorrow with his Tig. If I wasn't pressed for time, I would look into warrantying it. For now I'll fix it myself. I tried to find the Silla radiator online, there is no listing for an early Bronco anymore. Maybe someone else can find one.
Mark

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Yes, Buldozer is right, they do have a lifetime warrenty. Buldozer is the one who let us know about the typo. I have no regrets. I pulled it out today, and my buddy will fix the pinhole tomorrow with his Tig. If I wasn't pressed for time, I would look into warrantying it. For now I'll fix it myself. I tried to find the Silla radiator online, there is no listing for an early Bronco anymore. Maybe someone else can find one.
Mark

Did you need to pull the grill out to fix it?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably a reason they dont list it anymore. I can only imagine how the warrentee would work out if you tried. I would also imagine that most of the companies that sell them will direct you to Silla for any actual warrentee claim in whci they will probably never get back to you. Good luck.