• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My 1971/76, 2000 (Oops not really) 2023 Bronco Build

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
What is your mechanical idle set to? Also for timing did you try locking it out? Also check your TPS voltage at idle. You want it as close to 1V as possible without it ever sticking above. On mustangs I use to set it to about .995 volts. That would usually keep it from ever crossing 1V at idle.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great point wild horse 75 on the TPS voltage.
Is this something that efiguy can consult on? They guy is brilliant.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
What is your mechanical idle set to? Also for timing did you try locking it out? Also check your TPS voltage at idle. You want it as close to 1V as possible without it ever sticking above. On mustangs I use to set it to about .995 volts. That would usually keep it from ever crossing 1V at idle.
Tried everything on mechanical....even turned the iac off. I did set the tps, but then got a new tps but since I calibrate full open and full closed, not sure it matters on MS.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Seemed to make some progress on Idle today. None of those things I did yesterday did anything.

I had to push it into open loop so I could find what it wanted for timing and fuel and seems like I made some great progress. This way the IAC stays out of my way and then also shut off EGO control under 1600 rpm so that wouldn't mess with me either.

It wanted more timing and less fuel and that made it soooo much better. I think I'm on my way there!

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
My idle is still somewhat high unless I'm in gear, but I've gotten it pretty darn good other than the high part. One serious PIA was that I got a new TPS sensor because the clip on my connector broke. Turns out this Wagner TPS was shit! It wouldn't give the same number twice and sometimes would give that same number when closed and then when full open!

No wonder I couldn't get anything working how I wanted and my tuning work had gone to crap so had to almost start over.

Made good progress on a long-ish drive Wednesday. I need some more long drives to continue to improve.

Happy so far. Nice to drive!

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Well, I'm scared to drive it and even more scared to drive it and park it somewhere even with my 4g GPS security and starter lockout…yada yadda, cause State Farm didn't wanna insure it for what I asked just for asking, so appraiser is coming this weekend. Absolutely no idea where it'll end up. Maybe lower than I expect, maybe higher, but I just hope it's a reasonable number that if anything ever does happen that it's replaceable without a boatload of “free” work instead of the insurance company paying.

So, he wanted to be able to look at a list of mods while he looks it over to make sure he doesn't miss anything. Not sure why I never really made a list before, so trying to do so now…hope I don't miss anything big:

1990 Ford Mustang EFI Engine, fully machine shop machined, BXR Custom intake, TFS 170 Aluminum heads, intake and Heads machine shop port matched, E303 cam, DSS Racing mains brace, custom made cam sync and custom ignition system with coil near plug IGN-1A coil per cylinder, all custom. Stinger PiMPxs Megasquirt Ecu and custom new Ron Francis wiring harnesses for all, 99% of engine compartment wiring hidden.

Ceramic coated shorty headers with James Duff fully stainless exhaust.

Howe Racing radiator

Additional PS and Trans coolers.

DeltaPag electric variable fan integrated into ecu control.

23 gallon fuel tank, with in-tank Efi fuel pump and fuel level sender.

Ford AOD transmission, completely new internal parts and hardened shafts rebuilt, including heavy duty internals and change of gear set to match AODE, custom torque converter plus the adapter to mount to the Dana 20 transfer case from Advanced Adapters

5.13 gears with a Detroit locker rear, custom Tom Woods driveshaft, protected from Long Arm Traction bars by Duff.

Custom rear axles from Dutchman axles to fit my custom brakes

Custom Brakes from MP Power brakes, 2005 Mustang rears and eStopp fully electronic parking brake

All new front brakes, stock new Bronco ‘76 parts and Tbird new calipers.

All brakes powered by Wild Horses 4x4 Hydroboost power braking system with Wilwood Master cylinder integrated with 1976 PS and new Power Steering setup from Lee’s Power Steering.

Tie rod and drop link setup from Bulletproof Steering, all aircraft grade hardware.

James duff MS2020 Shocks and springs all around with 3.5” lift

17” Vision wheels and 35” Nitto Ridge Grabber tires.

Tom’s Off-road modified bumpers with bumper lights, hitch at both ends, powder coated and front and rear custom reverse and forward cameras.

Dakota Digital dash and AC controls, seat heaters installed in seats.

Fully custom center console designed by me and made by Carrparts Custom Parts with matching arm rest, custom cable shifter integration into console. Wireless charge pad as well.

Custom designed and made dashboard.

Stereo tied into engine control for additional customized dashboard display or measurements

Digital Guard Dawg system with keyless push button start upgraded with Ford Raptor start Button, keyless door locks, remote start, starter disable, 4g & GPS tracking

Vent windows deleted and Power Windows added.

Custom made door panels, then covered in matching material

AMP Power steps with door trigger also looped into dome light installed into roll cage

Full family style roll cage

Oracle headlights with integrated DRL and Turn Signals

Fat Fender Garage headlight rings

LED lights all around

Time in Bodyshop and bodywork at start of project including stripping down to frame, all frame and body sandblasting, and painting.

Custom fuel filler door integrated into bodywork. Tailgate latch relocated for sleeker look to inside tailgate. Custom wiring boxes built and installed into kick panels, custom glovebox with rear panel to access ecu.

Recent completion of bodywork and painting of Mercedes Selenite Grey done by Virga Customs in Sacramento.

Vintage Air Gen V brand new system custom install and all hoses hidden from view for sleek engine compartment.

Door locks and all unnecessary lines and seams eliminated in body.

Fiberglass hood and custom done locking hood latches.

Finished hardtop, but in storage, can show pictures.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Uh oh. Big mistake!
Lists are never a good thing when it comes to parts and pieces and prices of what you put on your bronco. You really didn’t want to know!

But yeah, insuring Broncos isn’t all that hard. But insuring Broncos for their late model value, is extremely difficult to do if you’re going to drive it.
The Classic insurance companies are happy to insure it, but put some severe limitations on how far you can drive it and where.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
My experience...
I have State Farm, Back in the Day my 5 y/o 1992 Foxbody Mustang was stolen from my Parents driveway overnight. Recovered 5 weeks later, completely striped. State Farm gave me a token offer for it... Until I walked into my Agents office with my 3" thick folder of receipts and recently taken professional pictures that outlined the condition of the Mustang. I prepared a spread sheet with Vendors used, dates of service, type of work, and prices. All said and done, their $8K offer increased to $22K which was close to what I had in it.
A little bit of Apple and Oranges here, but you get the gist. Preparation on your end can yield results... and probably a high rate on your policy :cautious:

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Thanks! Yeah, I have State Farm as well and the stated value they gave me before it was finished was $75k and while that's not terrible, it's not enough for all I have in it.

Who knows what I'll do if my appraisal comes in lower than that!

I do have all the receipts and a spreadsheet and I've given that to SF, and maybe I shouldn't worry as much as I do but it's just a little more emotional since I started this project sooo many years ago and don't want to lose it now!

The advantage I have with State Farm is that I have SO much insured through them. My home and two rentals, 4 cars, valuables policy, excess liability policy...I pay them way too much already for things and I don't drive a ton either. Commute to my office is 0.5 mi.

🤞

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Make sure you also give the receipts to the appraiser. It will help them get a feel for the quality of parts you put into it. It’s really hard to nail down a comparable value when your build is unique. The value varies so much on BAT and auction houses when it comes to broncos. One you’d think should sell for 6 figures barely bring $70k and one you’re just like well that’s not worth that much sells for $150k. You may even want more than one appraisal. Then if they come close to each other you can hold your line for that number. And if they’re way apart you don’t hand in the low one and pretend it was never done.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Appraiser came today and I got some EXTREMELY nice compliments. He said I should quit finance and market some of the stuff I've done. Felt nice, but I'm not changing careers even though I love this stuff too. I hope the appraisal value is somewhere in the area of making me satisfied.

I've gotten it idling pretty mean-ly. It's been a challenge learning the settings in tunerstudio and how different settings affect everything else, but it seems easier as it goes along.

Turns out, my BXR plenum covers got a little loose and were letting a tiny air in making it inconsistent and also needed to fine tune my throttle stop a couple hundred times to get it to what seems perfect now. I got it to idle TOO low finally and it would die under load and I've worked that out and the final steps seems to me getting my warmup enrichment and curves down to where the engine seems happy and since the engine is only cold once or maybe twice a day, we'll see. I might have that good now.

Since I'm still breaking in this engine, I have not pushed it too hard but at least for now, I'm pretty happy with this E303 cam. I'm sure it added to my idle troubles but after working through them I think I'm good.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Uhmmm...ok,. well....got a call from the appraiser just now as he was finishing up the appraisal and wanted to tell me what he came up with.

Higher than I thought it would. Guess I made some good choices.

Don't really want to write that number down.

Crazy.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Is it higher than what the insurance company wanted? Cause that’s all that matters. Now you have proof that it’s worth what you asked.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
The insurance company was just weird. Easiest way to put it. They gave me a value of $75k before it was done, which was fine, it wasn't done and I wasn't driving it.

I emailed them that it was done and with updated pics and they didn't increase it.

I'll email them the appraisal and see what they say, but I just got a quote from Haggarty's and it's not terrible and they have an option you can add to keep the vehicle in a total loss. That's worth a lot to me right there.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Would you recommend Haggerty or is there a better company?
I'm waiting to hear back from State Farm to know what they're gonna say/offer, but I'll likely go with Hagerty and the reason is that "Cherished Value" clause they offer. I don't think my Bronco is gonna get totaled, but if it does, I get to keep it and use whatever I can salvage off of it to my replacement.

While I think that situation is extremely unlikely, it's a nice feature. The appraiser also mentioned Grundy but i don't think they have that.

I did find a thing on Hagerty coverage that says, "Extreme off-road modifications such as brush guards, roll bars, tool boxes and lift kits with large off-road tires will not be accepted" so I need to ask them about that to be sure, but I read they've relaxed their restrictions vs what's on the site.

There are a couple threads on them. Once I have a response from State Farm, who also issues policies alongside them in a mutual since they invested a bunch of money in Hagtery, just not in CA so we're out of luck, but I want to compare apples to apples. Will let you know what I figure out.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm waiting to hear back from State Farm to know what they're gonna say/offer, but I'll likely go with Hagerty and the reason is that "Cherished Value" clause they offer. I don't think my Bronco is gonna get totaled, but if it does, I get to keep it and use whatever I can salvage off of it to my replacement.

While I think that situation is extremely unlikely, it's a nice feature. The appraiser also mentioned Grundy but i don't think they have that.

I did find a thing on Hagerty coverage that says, "Extreme off-road modifications such as brush guards, roll bars, tool boxes and lift kits with large off-road tires will not be accepted" so I need to ask them about that to be sure, but I read they've relaxed their restrictions vs what's on the site.

There are a couple threads on them. Once I have a response from State Farm, who also issues policies alongside them in a mutual since they invested a bunch of money in Hagtery, just not in CA so we're out of luck, but I want to compare apples to apples. Will let you know what I figure out.
The roll cage can easily be articulated as a modern safety device to protect the passengers against collision since you don't have air bags.

Last edited:

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
The roll cage can easily be articulated as a modern safety device to protect the passengers against collision since you don't have air bags.
I think the issue is they automatically associate roll cage with race car. My buddy went through the same thing with his Camaro. Hagerty wouldn’t insure him either.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tell them you have "added some additional structural improvements to the weak hard top and even weaker windshield frame" instead of stating that you have a "roll cage" that scares the masses into thinking you're some kind of scofflaw or ne'er-do-well.