• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My '66 is getting some new goodies, I have a few questions

quikdrummer

Loc.
Chino Valley, AZ
So Ive finally started accumulating parts to get my bronco from a mostly stock '66 to a capable crawler. So far I have purchased the suspension, a 5.5 bullet proof kit w/extended arms and inboard rear shock mount:

suspension.jpg

just this weekend finalized a deal to get a pair of full width axles. A newly rebuilt dana 44, new yukon 4.56 gears, disc brakes, never installed since rebuild. A rear 8.8, auburn locker, yukon 4.56 gears, all bearings and seals replaced a little over a year ago when locker was installed. Picked those up for $975, delivered to my door.

DSC07829.jpg

DSC07826.jpg

DSC07841.jpg

DSC07839.jpg

Obviously have to do a little fab work to get the rear axle to fit right. I was wondering if anyone has done that axle swap, would it be possible to just weld in some new perches to the right width without removing the old ones? Also did the rear shock mount get in the way?

As far as tires, I am flipflopping between a 35" and a 37". when i was just going to do the suspension and keep original axles, I was planning to just do a 35, and do whatever body trim, if any, to fit. But with the extra width of the new axles, Im tempted to move up to a 37". Im sure the amount of body work would be more substantial to get them to fit with no rub, but I think the axles and gears would be plenty to go with the bigger tire. Any thoughts, pics of 37"s on full width to give me some ideas?

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
You maybe okay with leaving the original perches on. But I would cutt them off to make it look right. And I bet that the rear shock mounts will need to be removed and relocated. If you don't have an oxy acetlene rig, beg borrow or steal one from a friend. You are going to need that and a good welder.

You have a cool project and keep us posted on the updates.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Mitch our local ACB PRES. runs a 5.5" suspension lift with a 2" body lift on 37's & full width axles on his crawler. We went out on upper & lower wood pecker & ajax out by box canyon in florence. I was right behind him all day & the 37's were perfect.

Not sure if your fenders need some trimming to pull it off though.

I've got almost as much lift maybe a 1/2" less & only 1" b.l. With stock axles running 35's & I don't think I could stuff a 37 in my rear wheel well w/o some more trimming. If I had full width I definitely would have to trim the body.

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
I am running Wild Horses 5.5" coils on the front and 4.5" leafs on the back. There is no body lift and it clears 37" Maxxis trepadors just fine. And those are WH gorilla flares.

Attachments

• hoysrings 024.jpg
    hoysrings 024.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 55
  • hoysrings 029.jpg
    hoysrings 029.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 49

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Lots of people on 37's with a 5.5 lift including me. This is going to hit your pocket book hard but BUY A WELDER!!!. I finally manned up and got one, well wife went and got it. But after years of borrowing and renting I said enough. If your going to do this kind of work a good 220v wire feed is the right tool.

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Lots of people on 37's with a 5.5 lift including me. This is going to hit your pocket book hard but BUY A WELDER!!!. I finally manned up and got one, well wife went and got it. But after years of borrowing and renting I said enough. If your going to do this kind of work a good 220v wire feed is the right tool.

Hi jack so raptor when will you be state side?

OP
OP
quikdrummer

quikdrummer

Loc.
Chino Valley, AZ
Haha I actually was just having a conversation with a buddy of mine about what sort of welder to get. I haven't done any fab work of my own before, so all of it will be a learning experience. Its
gonna be fun;D

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Hi jack so raptor when will you be state side?

Semi Hijack, will be in Hawaii around Thanksgiving. I will be conus in summer, see you at OCBR. I'll be making a new smoker as soon as I am home so be sure to some see me and come hungry ;D

Drummer, I looked and looked on C-list for mine and ended up getting a real good deal. You should do a search because there are TONS of really good threads on welders. Idealy the new miller 210 with auto set and dual 110-220 capability would be the cats pajamas but if we could all just drop money like that then we would just own jeeps and buy bolt on stuff ;) The 8.8 would not be my first choice especially because of the yucky C clip axles but you did get a screamin deal.

OP
OP
quikdrummer

quikdrummer

Loc.
Chino Valley, AZ
Axles arrived this morning. The 44 looks like its brand new. The 8.8 wil need a little clean up, but all the vitals look great on it. Excitement is building!

OP
OP
quikdrummer

quikdrummer

Loc.
Chino Valley, AZ
if anyone has some install tips and maybe some pics of a full width d44 in their bronco, lemme have em. im planning to just go with the direct install, with the extended arms i should have enough play to not have to mess with the mounting points right?

*little bit overwhelmed, might be in over head*

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think that most have done it that way. The arms are ok, but you still have to deal with (or live with?) the angle of the springs.
With the towers being inboard of the lower cups, the coils will likely bow out slightly.

Don't know how pronounced it is,, but there are probably threads here that have pics of what it will look like. Hopefully someone can link you to them, post them up, or you might find them with (not so) quick search.
Not so quick, because there are probably hundreds of threads on full-width conversions.

Have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
quikdrummer

quikdrummer

Loc.
Chino Valley, AZ
I think that most have done it that way. The arms are ok, but you still have to deal with (or live with?) the angle of the springs.
With the towers being inboard of the lower cups, the coils will likely bow out slightly.

Don't know how pronounced it is,, but there are probably threads here that have pics of what it will look like. Hopefully someone can link you to them, post them up, or you might find them with (not so) quick search.
Not so quick, because there are probably hundreds of threads on full-width conversions.

Have fun!

Paul
Haha yeah I tried some searches, couldn't get what I wanted

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Haha yeah I tried some searches, couldn't get what I wanted

Read Tito's thread on his streched bronco. It covers most of the full width stuff in there. You can do lots of other stuff Like inboard the lower coil cups but that involves lots of work and fabrication. Nothing wrong with just bolting it up for now, you can always rework it later.