• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

my bronco wont turn off!

pooterpot

Loc.
Lumberton, Texas
i recently did a 180amp alt. upgrade and had to do some new wiring, i soon found out my alt. wasnt charging. probably because i wired something wrong so when i turned the key the engine wouldnt die so i pulled the coil wire off. soon after i replaced the ignition switch and tried again but same results. i would post some photos of the wiring to the alt. because the problem probably lies in that somewhere but im too lazy to find the camera and because im not a contributer. any suggestions of why it not turning off?

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
you have to be getting feedback from the alt to the switched side of the starter silanoid (sp), either that or you have wires crossed... I would double check how you connected it, I bet its just a rogue wire runnin amok! ;)

OP
OP
pooterpot

pooterpot

Loc.
Lumberton, Texas
i have a wire going to the solenoid from battery and a wire from the alt. to the battery. i also have a green with blue wire going to the alt. and there is a black with yellow that isnt going to anything yet. i followed the wire under the dash and into the fuse panel and im not sure but i think it says it either to the emergency flashers or the courtesy light. but my emergebcy flashers and courtesy light work? anybody have .02 on this

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
What type of alt. did you install??

Is the Black/yellow wire a larger wire, approx. 10-12 gauge? If so, did it come from your regulator? If you are using the 3 wire alt. then the bl/yl wire hooks into the lower spade bit I believe. The reason your vehicle keeps running is do to the fact that you have a wire crossed and you are getting feedback from the alt. thru the harness. This is providing power thru the harness, even though you have the ignition swich off. Disconnect your alt., then start the EB, it should then turn off with the ignition switch.

Matt_W

Loc.
Connecticut
Sounds like your getting feedback into the ignition circuit. I did a delco alternator conversion and i had the same problem. What i did was put a diode in the circuit. A diode is like a 1 way valve so it allows current to flow in one direction only and when you shut off the truck no current can feed back into the system from the alternator causing the engine to continue running. check out www.madelectrical.com. A resistor works too. This isnt needed in the alternators origional application because there is usually a dummy light or some kind of voltage gage that takes the place of the diode or resistor in the ignition circuit. Not the case with broncos. When i did it i used a diode rated for 30 amps.....The circuit sees about 5 amps max during spikes to 30 amps is pleanty.

I dont know if the motorcraft alternators operate the same way but they are internally regulated and the circuit in the bronco is designed to be regulated externally so little problems like this arise. Also it could be that you crossed a wire.....That could easily cause the problem.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
After looking at the alt., your bl/yl wire should hook to the white wire. If you did this and it is still not working properly, try hooking a light bulb between the bl/yl and white wire. This will act as a resistor. If this works, then go to the parts store and get an automotive resistor to hook inline.

OP
OP
pooterpot

pooterpot

Loc.
Lumberton, Texas
the instructions said to hook a green/red wire to the white. the white wire is brown on mine though. and it is a diff. gauge than the green/red wire. hooking the black/yell would make more sense because i think it is the same gauge as the white(brown) wire. maybe the instruction werent accurate. i will try what you said .thnx for the help

OP
OP
pooterpot

pooterpot

Loc.
Lumberton, Texas
am i suppose to get rid of all the wires that went to the original voltage regulator. the green/red is the only one i havnt got rid of so far. everything seems to be workin since i cut it off. should i leave it off?

OP
OP
pooterpot

pooterpot

Loc.
Lumberton, Texas
WHY is my battery dead!

i got in the bronco to go to school this morning and turned the key and nothing happened. my battery is totally dead. not even a click or anything. it worked fine last night when i told it goodnight. what drained it. im skipping school today to try and fix it. is something wired wrong or do i have a crossed wire?