• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Most Valuable Tool...You Got a Fave?

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
These are my favorite tools, sentimentally speaking. I bought this Popular Mechanics set for $19.99 at the NAPA down the road from my home when I was about 18. Sure I have tools that are older, tools that I use more, but these i bought as a kid with my own money that I earned working as a gas station attendant...wondering if anyone else out there has something similar.

Attachments

• PMSet.jpg
    PMSet.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 163

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I recently got the new Milwaukee 18 volt lithium impact and drill.
They are really remarkably improved over my old stuff.

I like how I got them too.
They were free.
My neighbor got in a bad wreck a few years ago. Hurt his neck, back, shoulder, etc....
He can't mow his grass and his teen age sons are useless punks that won't do it. He is still real weak and can't "make" his rather athletic boys do anything.
Sooo I have been mowing his grass for about a year and a half. I assumed me,(the old man next door) mowing their grass would shame the boys into doing it. It didn't work out that way.....and I can't let Roger (not Bax) do it in his condition. There is also the fact that their yard looking awful doesn't help my property value any. And finally...I don't mind the additional work out, it's good for me.

So very recently Rog' got a little better and stood in the front yard with his walker (he's only 48) and "bitch slapped" his 15 year old and told him, "If Mr. Steve has to mow our grass one more time you are out of here"....it seemed to work.
Giddeon was mowing later that day.
Rog' saw me in the front yard. He asked me what was better, "Dewalt or Milwaukee?" I said, "They are both good but I would give the edge to Milwaukee". He said, "Thank you" and drove off.

He was back twenty minutes later and handed me the Milwaukee double pack with impact and drill. 18 volt ....it's like $400+ bucks.
I of course exclaimed, "Rog' I can't accept this!"
He insisted saying, "I know you love tools, I know you mowed my yard for almost 2 years, I know you know I got my settlement...."
So my neighbor finally got his lawsuit completed and his neuvoriche, and he thinks I'm the greatest neighbor in the world.

Yup ....love my Milwaukee impact and drill whether I ever use them or not....but I have been using them and they are great, as stated above, much better than my present Ryobi and Dewalt.

Attachments

• .IMG_20151124_202808.jpg
    .IMG_20151124_202808.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 1477769203067-1093465634.jpg
    1477769203067-1093465634.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Great story! Yea I got a 17 yr old like that I've somehow managed not to bitch slap, but he cuts the grass when I tell him to, after whining about it for 10 minutes

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You're reading it. I couldn't do half the work on my Bronco without this site.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
My wife tells me I'm a tool? Does that count?
This is my favorite... She keeps me from loosing my s**t when I smash my knuckles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 120

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Probably a SK socket wrench set, bought it for $20. It has seen a ton of work, good times and some abuse.

Though a good 5lb sledge hammer is always helpful.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
You're reading it. I couldn't do half the work on my Bronco without this site.

agreed, but sometimes i don't read the posts carefully enough until after Ive repeated their mistakes :mad:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
...Great Story Steve... Old Men have been gripping about young men since I was 15..
Now I'm the Old Fart gripping about my Grand Kids. I'm now 67...
... Many years ago Maybe 2002 or so.. My Hunting Buddy & I we're headed hunting . We saw an Old man broke down on the side of the road. For some reason It just looked like his OX was in the ditch.. We looked at each other .& said yes we probably need to go back .. Dang It .. We won't get to hunt today.
But we went back. The old man looks at us in a Bronco Like what are you guys going to be able to do.. We Shake HANDS & Introduce ourselves.
.. How can we help. .. He knows what he needed .. & I knew where we should be able to get it .. So We load his parts items in the Bronco & Put him in the front seat .. I set in the back seat & we drive about 40 miles back into our town ... I took him to the place I work at today. & We then drove him back to his truck & trailer. . We got more tools at my buddy's shop.
.. We all worked on it together. As we talked..
... When he had it back together ... He said YOU BOYS LIKE TO HUNT DON'T YOU. Yes Sir we do. That's wjere we were headed when we saw you broke down.. He says I have a little place in New Mexico... Why do you come hunt on us next year.. We were Kind of yES THANKS ... But we don't want to hunt on a little place.. Glad we didn't say that.. But we were a little MIFFED That we'd missed our hunt .. So we drove back to town & Took our wives to supper.
Never planning on thinking of it again..
.... Later that year about 8 months later.. My Buddy says . Hey do you want to go hunt in New Mexico. We might call that old man we helped.. I'm saying ... WHAT EVER... Then I Said we can go see what he's got. & Go buy a lesions the next day. From there we'll know if we want to camp on his & go hunt the National Forest..
....... We got out there He & His wife & 3 Grown Sons, Have nothing but very large thank you's for us.. .Then they hand us maps of their ''3'' ranches ... one is about 6 K acreas .. Next one was about 12K ... & The Big one is about 75K +r-.. We've now been hunting there for 14 years.
... Thank You LORD FOR HELPING us TURN around. Thank You LORD..

... CRAZY tools .. I have a Brake adjusting tool .. That I pull the SBK1 Needle bearing cups out of the hubs.
Other People have all kinds of trouble driving those bearing from our Hubs. But this Brake tool has removed about 30 set of those bearings.
I'm afraid my tool is getting old as it bent on one of the last stubborn sets I removed. .
.... Another tool Just a few nights ago ... Was my CP734 1/2 air wrench. I said thank you to my wrench for all it's years of service.
I got like a store deal of Buy 6 &get one Free. So I did... & I think I only gave like $49.95 for those other wrenches about 1976. & I sold them for &75.00ea. They were normally $95.00..
... The 734 is slightly heavier than my new Lowes 3/8 .. I went & got my New Lowes & It wouldn't work. So I swapped over to my old trusty CP734. Thank You.

Last edited:

andyp

Contributor
Had a special tool bag I spent years getting all the right stuff. Left it in the back seat of my pick up one night. Some POS broke a back window out and snatched it. I've tried to duplicate it but it's just not the same.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have a couple craftsman round head, fine tooth, flex ratchets that are my favorites. I ordered them from the tool catalog back in '92, they weren't sold in stores. I think they were about $26 each back then. They went out of production about 10 years ago. Prices are outrageous on ebay now, triple digits.

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I have a set of Snap-on 3/8 wiggler sockets that my Uncle brought back from Vietnam in 1968. I am thankful that the US Gov uses good tools. Unfortunately, He was killed in action, but every time I use them I think of him. For some strange twist of fate these sockets were not in my tool box when my truck got stolen. That set was a 220 piece Craftsmen "master mechanic" set... I hate slime bag thieves.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I think a lot of my Hiem Werner air jack

CAM01238.jpg
[/url]
image hosting 15mb[/IMG]

broncogt

Old, old, old, black and decker bulldawg electric impact wrench. It will still loosen or shear off anything that I put her to.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Great thread idea and great stories!

I have many great tools and stories, but the best tool is my welder. The best asset is my Wife. She always encourages me to buy, build, work on whatever Bronco stuff I desire. She even keeps pushing me to build a shop. BTW, she bought me the welder for my 40th!

No Hay

Bronco Guru
1strodeo - Darn, I never had tools worth keeping for sentimental value. I guess my fav now are my hand tools that keep me working as an electrician. Another 1 1/2 years and I'll retire at 57 1/2, they will be shuffled to the back!

bronconut73 - Good for you and the neighbor! Our shop buys those Milwaukee sets now for all the service vans. We all love them. I just bought the Milwaukee heated vest and coat that uses the M12 battery (thanks mikkee73 for the recommendation), as I spend time in Costco coolers/freezers once in a while. I highly recommend them. Those could be my favs now.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Great thread idea and great stories!

I have many great tools and stories, but the best tool is my welder. The best asset is my Wife. She always encourages me to buy, build, work on whatever Bronco stuff I desire. She even keeps pushing me to build a shop. BTW, she bought me the welder for my 40th!

She got a sister? lol

Love the air jack half cab!

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
It has to be my old 1/2 Proto breakaway torque wrench. It was a gift from my employer when I was a kid working at a hardware store. I still keep it set at 0 in its original red plastic box.

The first Christmas I worked there I worked for the father. Part time. He was a crusty old guy who made a good living out of a difficult situation. I learned a lot from him. He told me to pick out any tool in the store as my Christmas gift. I looked at everything & kept coming back to the 1/2 drive Proto torque wrench. I decided it was too much to ask for & picked out a nice set of Vise-Grips instead.

I worked there for a few years & between the father & son somehow they figured it out & one year gave me the big torque wrench. It has been almost 40 years & I still think about those guys & that place every time I use it.