• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

my truck cuts off when i hit a bump.but then fires right up

NO BS

Loc.
durham,nc
also when i 'm driving after it fires up its stuttering almost like its starving for fuel.but when the clutch is in or im in neutral (no load) the engine doesnt miss.also when it knocks out after hitting a bump popping the clutch doesnt do shit but then it fires right up when i turn the key.i gotta go to work will check back after that (12 hrs)thanks in advance for any help.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
sounds to me like you have a loose connection in your wiring harness either under the hood or dash. check for the ground connection right behind the speedo. there is a large black splice made by the factory and about a year ago my truck would do the same. in my business which is marine mechanic mercury marine teaches us what they call the wiggle test. just wiggle all the wiring around gently and you just might find something. this is how i found the ground splice being bad. my truck is a '69 not sure of the year of yours but maybe it has the same problem. good luck keep us posted on what you find wrong.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check the short wiring harness from the firewall by the throttle to the distributer that harness is stretched and prone to drying out and cracking. Shorts to the engine block and kills the motor like a kill switch.

OP
OP
N

NO BS

Loc.
durham,nc
thanks. putting the yuggins to bed now but i'll give the truck a good wiggle test after that.but what about the truck stuttering under load but not out of gear?
thanks again

nosaj2k

Loc.
Green River, WY
Funny, just this evening I was having the same issue, although not on my Bronco. This was happening on my 1994 Honda Civic crew car. Turns out the negative battery cable was not quite tight enough on the battery terminal %)

OP
OP
N

NO BS

Loc.
durham,nc
ok i found a lot of jack leg wiring. fixed what i could as far as what i know went where.i found some wires i have no idea where they go.and i took voltage readings after i got her running.one wire is from the alt. its green and is from the sta post.i think it had around 6 vdc on it.its not connected to jack.then off the voltage regulator connector theres 3 wires hooked up 12v always 12v when the truck is running then nothing on the other.then theres 3 others not connected at all off the voltage reg connector. green 13.5v, white 13.5v, yellow 13.5v. also i only have 13.5 off the alt when its running seems to be around a volt short of what i should have.so i wrote down where my alt wires are going to see if its right.fld off alt to voltage reg. body.grd off alt. to ground on engine block.bat on alt. to + on battery. any ideas except a new wiring harness? thanks again for ya'lls help