• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Upcoming 351W Swap

Jambi

Contributor
I purchased a 351W out of a '95 Ford F150 at the salvage yard that I will be swapping in my Bronco soon. I disassembled the engine and took the short block to a local machine shop to check it over and do some minor machining. The machine shop said the block is in great shape and I expect to be getting it back sometime this week or next week.

I will be using the Ford Explorer serp system with Saginaw dual return P/S pump (currently this is what I have running on my 302).

I'll use all of the EFI stuff from my 302; I found a Lightning lower intake that I'll also use.

As I try to get my ducks in a row to have everything ready to build this thing I have a couple questions.

I have a pair of GT40 heads from a 96 Ford Explorer that I was going to put on. I did not take the heads to the machine shop, but now wondering if I should. I also thought about investing in a set of World Products Windsor Sr. heads, but I don't know that I want to spend that kind of $$. Head work at the machine shop for the GT40s would probably be less costly than new World Products heads, correct? I've looked over the specs of the WP heads and compared to the specs on the GT40s so I'm sure there would be some performance gain, but I just don't know that I want to spend the money. Thoughts?

As far as cooling goes, since I'm running the Explorer serp system, will this water pump work?:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bra-1656/make/ford

I think I read somewhere that I'll need a 28oz harmonic balancer, is that correct?

What about radiator hoses? Does anyone have part numbers of radiator hoses that worked for them? I have a Champion aluminum radiator with inlet and outlet orientation for the 5.0L.

I purchased a new MSD distributor with TFI module to work with the roller cam from Summit and oil pan for 351 from Duff's. I have long tube headers that I am hoping will work with the 351W.

What am I missing or not thinking of for this swap?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a pair of GT40 heads from a 96 Ford Explorer that I was going to put on.

You may need to drill the bolt holes out for the larger 351 cylinder head bolts.
I believe the 302 is 7/16 and the 351 is 1/2.
But check on that.

I did not take the heads to the machine shop, but now wondering if I should.

Normally I say yes because I NEVER want to go through the work of swapping things in without knowing their condition, or freshening them up.
Let's just say, I won't ever "do it again" and leave it at that.

I also thought about investing in a set of World Products Windsor Sr. heads, but I don't know that I want to spend that kind of $$. Head work at the machine shop for the GT40s would probably be less costly than new World Products heads, correct? I've looked over the specs of the WP heads and compared to the specs on the GT40s so I'm sure there would be some performance gain, but I just don't know that I want to spend the money. Thoughts?

Sure. First get a quote on your old heads. If they only need a couple of guides and a set of seals, you're good to go.
If they need a full refurb on the other hand, you might be looking at almost the price of new heads. Aluminum heads.
If you are looking at World cast-iron heads, you might be ahead of the game with the new stuff.

So just look into both before deciding one way or the other. All three options are reasonable.

As far as cooling goes, since I'm running the Explorer serp system, will this water pump work?:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bra-1656/make/ford

No.
There is literally no other water pump that will work with the Explorer serpentine setup, than the Explorer water pump.
Remember you're replacing everything from the timing chain and timing cover on out.
Get the same FlowKooler style, but get the one specifically for an Explorer.

I think I read somewhere that I'll need a 28oz harmonic balancer, is that correct?

Always with a 351W. They never changed, so if yours is a basic Windsor it's a 28oz engine.
You can use an original Bronco 302 damper if yours is in good shape, then add one of the adapter pulleys that fit with the Explorer setup and done.
If you already have a good Explorer damper you can have it re-balanced to 28oz but I'm not sure which is the most cost effective way.

What about radiator hoses? Does anyone have part numbers of radiator hoses that worked for them? I have a Champion aluminum radiator with inlet and outlet orientation for the 5.0L.

Someone will have info for you. A couple of ways to do it, some involving two hoses linked in the middle with a tube.

I purchased a new MSD distributor with TFI module to work with the roller cam from Summit and oil pan for 351 from Duff's. I have long tube headers that I am hoping will work with the 351W.

Long tubes are more finicky, but they may still work. I can think of one sure way to find out!
What brand and model are they? And just as important sometimes, what transmission are you going to be running?

What am I missing or not thinking of for this swap?

Probably a lot! But it sounds good to me so far.

Have fun!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
back to the top for ya.. guaranteed someone has part #s

and thread size, bolt patter, etc :) "just sayin"

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
You may need to drill the bolt holes out for the larger 351 cylinder head bolts.
I believe the 302 is 7/16 and the 351 is 1/2.
But check on that.

If the heads are off a 302 (and the OP said they were) then yes they will need to be drilled if not already. I had to have my P heads drilled that came off a 2000 or 2001 Mountaineer.

Tim