• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mystery wires?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Phil, I hope your out there tonight:).

My dash on my 66 is out and while its out I'm attempting to clean up 45 years of wiring hacking.

Where the wires for the gauge cluster come out of the harness I have some cut and extra wires. All come out of the factory harness and are not added wires.

I have one cut Green/ Black wire that I think is for the brights indicator light ?

I have three cut Black/ green wires and one uncut Black Green that is for the ICVR. I believe it also goes to the ignition and fuse box on the diagram but I don't see what the cut wires were for.

I also have a Yellow/ Black wire that I don't see any place on the diagrams I have.

Finally, I have a Black /Blue wire with a pin type connector that goes no place. that another one I don't see on the diagram.

This is the diagram I'm looking at http://public.wsu.edu/~i6735189/66_71el1.gif

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yellow-black is probably radio.

Black-blue is probably map light.

Green-black is washer pump motor feed.

Lt green-black is dimmer switch to high beams and high beam indicator light.

Black-green comes off ignition switch and goes to splice #202. There, one goes to fusebox fuse #1 and #2. The other goes to ICVR.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Thanks Phil.

I traced the black / blue wire back to the light switch so I'll use that one. I have no interior light currently. I'm not really sure why I have extra Black green wires. I was able to trace the wire off of the ignition and its exactly like you said. I unwrapped that part of the harness and two of the cut black and green ones were actually one short 8 inch wire that went in and back out of the harness with both ends cut so I pulled it out. I still have more thats cut and the other end is a mystery so far.

I found two more disconnected wires that have pin type connectors as well. One is heavy gauge Orange yellow wire but not the one I see on the diagram that goes to the turn signal flasher. I also have a connector with two wires going into it that is right next to the fuse box (firewall mounted). I think the wires are black but its hard to tell because someone got a bit happy with the spray paint.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I found two more disconnected wires that have pin type connectors as well. One is heavy gauge Orange yellow wire but not the one I see on the diagram that goes to the turn signal flasher. I also have a connector with two wires going into it that is right next to the fuse box (firewall mounted). I think the wires are black but its hard to tell because someone got a bit happy with the spray paint.

Backup lights? Was that an option in '66?

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'm back at the wiring mess tonight. I'm still not sure about the orange/yellow extra wire but I think its just going to stay put for now. I removed the dead end wires that I could get out easily but the rest will stay because I don't want to unwrap the harness all the way just to remove them. The next task is getting the wiring for the column set up to plug into my 79ish tilt column. I don't have the original 66 plugs for the column side of the harness because someone removed them long ago in favor of miles of electrical tape. I think I'll use a " Half moon" style plug like the later bronco's have. I snagged one at the junk yard that should work fine. What is a good source for electrical bullet/ pin style plugs? I have some other power connections I need to make for my electric wiper conversion and a few other things. All I'm finding so far are the "el cheapo" spade connectors. I'm not set on that type of plug but I need something better than the twist wires and wrap with electrical tape technique that the PO used.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I found the harness end connectors for the steering column, but can't find the column end. If I come across them I'll let you know. Should be laying around in this mess somewhere.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How about a weatherpak connector for the column? Napa has all the parts.

gregdebkids

Loc.
Visalia, CA
My starter would not disengage and kept running with the engine, and while I admire its' ambition, I thought this odd. Not knowing much about electricity, I decided to think about it, so now, after 4 months, I have come to the conclusion there are two wires shorting themselves... So, I unplugged the starter relay, (S & I) and ran a 12 gage wire from the S to the black wires in the back of the ignition switch. That seemed to work, and the started ceased as the engine fired up, which was good. The wire won't stay in place, and am wondering if I used an old style switch... the kind with posts, rather than a plug in dealy, would that work? It appears the I on the relay doesn't serve any function, as I have Electronic Ignition. I wish it was something simple, like a thrown rod...