• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Name the steering column part....

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
I'm looking for a missing piece on my EB. I'm currently putting the refinished steering column back in. Where the column goes through the fire wall, I have the interior flange that bolts inside the cab and put a new rubber column seal in. There is still a large hole that allows you to pull the column out with the linkage in tact. There's 4 bolts here (from the engine side) that would hold either a plate or another rubber gasket to completely seal that hole. I have neither and just looked through the LMC catalog with no luck.

What part is this and where could I find one?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
courtesy of the Jeff's catalog....

Attachments

• clmdia.jpg
    clmdia.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 63

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
MIGHT have a spare if you're not in a super hurry

OP
OP
71 LUBER

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
No hurry here. Let me know, she isn't going anywhere for a while.

I double checked LMC's diagrams. They don't even show that part. They stop at the firewall seal. Odd. That bracket seals up the rest of the hole in the firewall below the column, correct? No seal between it and the fire wall though?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Will take a look but i don't think so...

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
I was looking for another obscure steering column part recently... phoned around to the vendors and found one that just happened to have one handy. Looks like they pulled it out of a crusty rust bucket in the back lot - but a little cleaning and a fresh coat of paint and it looks and functions as good as new!

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Call Jeff's. I called them up and explained this same piece to them and they shipped it out from the "crusty rust bucket" but it did clean up real good.

OP
OP
71 LUBER

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
Texans just aren't used to the conditions of our EB's up here :)

It's not that crusty if it doesn't fall apart in your hands.

Is it the piece Tasker is showing, or am I missing that particular piece and the plate/gasket to cover the hole in the firewall?

Ohio Bill

Loc.
Riverside, OH
I just went out and looked at mine. Looks like a simple plate holding a rubber gasket/boot around the steering column. Held on by 4 bolts.
Why couldn't this be made on the work bench?

OP
OP
71 LUBER

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
Are you describing the inner plate on the cab side or the one in the engine bay?

I need to know what it looks like before I could even attempt making one.

I'm starting to think I'm missing both this plate and the lower mounting bracket that Tasker shows. I'll take a picture when I get home and post it.

OP
OP
71 LUBER

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
Ok, here is the engine bay side....I was wrong, it's a 3 bolt piece, so yeah, the lower support Tasker is talking about my be what I am missing. By the scale of the Jeff's diagram, it looks too small. I'm still surprised there is no gasket to seal this against the firewall.

2nd pic is the interior flange.

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 19