• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Napa power steering pump

setzep

Looking for some dirrection. I was going to buy a replacement "Extra duty" pump from Napa PN: 81-6795, http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NSP816795_0326428710 to replace my age'd Wild Horses HD pump (same thing from what I can tell) but they no longer stock it. A'm I stuck buying one of those $190 Delphi pumps to have something even comparable? I'd rather not take a step back and get a factory replacement.

Basically, what are my options to replace my old Wild Horses unit?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks
Cam

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Buy a kit and rebuild it. Gates makes a kit. I have gone through three of them. Your front bushing is probably good so all you will need is the kit with the seals and o'rings.

I researched it awhile back and it sounded like Cardone (the rebuilder) had stopped making them. You can take the Napa # to anther auto parts store and see if they can order it if it is still available. I got one from another auto parts store shortly after Napa discontinued them. I think it becomes a Cardone # if you leave out the hyphen.

You can remove the horseshoe adapter from the front and remove the small shaft extension on the front of it and put it on most any Saginaw pump. The extension is just stud with left hand threads. It is probably loctited in so it may be difficult to remove unless you heat it.

OP
OP
S

setzep

Thanks for the info! Have that rebuilt kit part number handy?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
No kit number. I looked before posting above. Try a kit for an 85 Chrysler 5th Avenue. I have taken off pulleys from them for v belt set ups. They have a Saginaw ps pump. 78-79 Lincoln is another one that used the Saginaw pump.

OP
OP
S

setzep

No kit number. I looked before posting above. Try a kit for an 85 Chrysler 5th Avenue. I have taken off pulleys from them for v belt set ups. They have a Saginaw ps pump. 78-79 Lincoln is another one that used the Saginaw pump.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it.

OP
OP
S

setzep

Update:
I bought a "rebuild kit" which really is nothing more than a o-rings, front shaft seal and bushing. I removed the pump and disassembled it hoping a "seal job" would be the answer. Don't think this is the case for me.. I can see wear on the vanes and ring. The side plates also have a little wear that I can barely feel with my fingernail. I've got a pretty big hunch that if I just put the new seals in it and reassembled i'd have the same wore out pump as before.

Does anyone know if there is a rotor,vane and ring kit available out there? My googling is coming up empty.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
any saginaw pump will work if that shaft extension is removable. the adapter bracket and the shaft adapter is the only difference in that pump and any saginaw

OP
OP
S

setzep

any saginaw pump will work if that shaft extension is removable. the adapter bracket and the shaft adapter is the only difference in that pump and any saginaw

I'll have to get a puller/installer tomorrow to see if I can get the extension and pulley off. If I can I'll just buy a new canned ham pump, install the extension, horse shoe bracket and be done with it.

I just thought if there was a actual kit out there to rebuild the pump that would be the easiest way.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cam,

Killing a bit of time and thought I would help look.

I found this in another website: Cardone power steering pump that replaces the Ford power steering pump with a GM-style Saginaw pump. There are two part numbers on the box: A-1 Cardone's: 20-6244, and Napa's: 81-6795.

Have you seen these on BC Broncos? http://www.bcbroncos.com/powersteering.html

This is from the CB tech forum: http://classicbroncos.com/saginaw.shtml

Hope this helps,
Roger

OP
OP
S

setzep

Cam,

Killing a bit of time and thought I would help look.

I found this in another website: Cardone power steering pump that replaces the Ford power steering pump with a GM-style Saginaw pump. There are two part numbers on the box: A-1 Cardone's: 20-6244, and Napa's: 81-6795.

Have you seen these on BC Broncos? http://www.bcbroncos.com/powersteering.html

This is from the CB tech forum: http://classicbroncos.com/saginaw.shtml

Hope this helps,
Roger

Unfortunately both of those part numbers are discontinued.

I could do either of the methods listed in those links but one would require me to find one of those aluminum mounting brackets from a junk yard (brrrr cold in MN) and the other means buying a new conversion bracket and a regular saginaw pump. Sucks being a lazy determined tight ass sometimes. :)

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run a stock pump on mine, unfortunately it's over 6000 miles away from me.

Did the WH and stock pump interchange with each other, keeping the stock bracket?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
If you are already running a sag pump call up PSC and get their boosted P pump.

Buy this pump for $129 - it's a PSC boosted pump. Take off the rear fittings and swap casings with your current pump and install it - you get a much better pump for cheaper.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/80-newer-standard-p-series-pump-with-remote-can.html

sp-1400-sm_lrg.jpg

Broncoaddict

I picked up a 93 chevy 1500 pump after a vendors pump gave out. Identical pump. Just have to swap your high pressure fitting off your old pump to the new one. I think it was $60 after the core swap.

OP
OP
S

setzep

I just took my "old style" Saginaw apart. I can confirm there is a extension on the shaft BUT once removed its not something that can be screwed onto your typical saginaw, bummer.. Was really hoping I could take this extension off and screw it onto another cookie cutter Saginaw pump along with my ford horseshoe adapter and be done with it.

I was also able to score a 80's Chevy Saginaw from a friend so I dismantled it to compare. The good news is it appears to be identical becides the canned ham resiviour and pump shaft.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

setzep

extended saginaw on top. 80's chevy truck on bottom. The top one almost looks like it's meant for a pulley with a keyway and nut to hold it on? Anyone know of a factory application that has a saginaw pump with a shaft sticking out of it that looks like the above?? If there is one maybe I can just pick up one of those and put my extension on it.

IMG_1094.jpg

OP
OP
S

setzep

I'll be damned... Think I found it already.

JM2000C_2.jpg

Found on 1970-1974 chevy camaro, nova, chevelle, monte carlo.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
Just look up any of those early chevys or dodges and they will have the nut shaft. Get one at napa or other parts store. It should look like the one you took off. They even sell them a little cheaper without the reservoir since you already have them apart. We in the core business call the early saginaw pumps like that a nut shaft and banjo can reservoir.