• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Narrowed a 78/79 D44 today

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
So the cutting and reweld appears to be the easy part. I know the shaft has to be cut and resplined. What else is involved in this installation? Steering linkage, spring buckets, radius arms?

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I also shortened a 78 dana 44- I was inspired to try it by the earlier articles. Once it is shortened the install is basically the same as the lp dana 44 with the exception of the track bar- usually something needs to be fabbed for the axle mount. There is a factory hole in the casting but chances are you will beat it up a little or its not in the right place hight wise. JBG has HD Bronco replacement inner axles for good prices w/ the larger joints and I reused the outers- You really only need to replace the pass side. I run 5.5 springs and 2 degree bushings w/ cage arms. I made a custom bent track bar and custom steering set up w/ hydro assist. The truck drives great on the street and offroad its great. I am not limited by the front dr shaft so the flex is pretty big. It is worth the work.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I can't help with the install questions. I still don't have an EB to put one in. I just happened to have the two HP D44 axles from two full size broncos that I parted out and thought I would try to narrow them and it worked out great.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I can't help with the install questions. I still don't have an EB to put one in. I just happened to have the two HP D44 axles from two full size broncos that I parted out and thought I would try to narrow them and it worked out great.

Now thats funny, LOL!!! :cool:

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Now why do you narrow the diff tubes? Is it not easier to leave it full length and bolt it under the Bronco or does that mean you will have to have custom arms made? Or does Cage make the proper arms? I would love to find a D60 for my Bronco so I could bush play more with it.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Now thats funny, LOL!!! :cool:

The funny part is I have a complete Explorer EFI set up, a 5 speed trans, 205 case, 78/79 4x4 steering box, trac locs and some other stuff for a furture EB build. ;D

Just need a real job before I go spending any more money on toys. I already bought a motorcycle and a new road bike(bicycle). The bicycle was not cheap by any means. I could have bought an EB but I liked the new road bike better. I will put alot of miles on the road bike now that I live in FL.

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
So you cut out 6" on the pass side and the diff will accept the EB pass side axle? Then It will bolt in except for the track bar? It sounds really easy.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
If my calculator is working right I came up with 5.97".
Did I look at the wrong section and or column?
I'm all for doing it with the highest degree of quality. But we are not checking piston to cylinder wall clearance on a 2000 horse power engine.

Traveler

Did I miss something? Did you use a 3/4 ton D44 or how did you get the caster wedges off the tube?
I thought the theory running around is they are cast as part of the tube.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
It's a 78/79 D44 with the cast wedges. Look at the pictures and you can see how it's done. Easiest thing in the world to do is narrow this axle housing.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
sorry to bring up an old thread, but i'm considering doing this. if i understand correctly, once i've shortened the passenger side 6" i can use the old driver side inner/outer shaft and the passenger outer, and i'll just need to get an eb passenger inner shaft?

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
sorry to bring up an old thread, but i'm considering doing this. if i understand correctly, once i've shortened the passenger side 6" i can use the old driver side inner/outer shaft and the passenger outer, and i'll just need to get an eb passenger inner shaft?

I have yet to install my axle but I planned on having the axle shortened and resplined but my understanding is that you can use the EB axle shafts.

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
hi im new to this forum i own a 71 eb and im currently considering doing this swap with a dana 44 from a 79 bronco i wanted to know if there was any one who has completed this swap completely and how they liked it. thanks for any replies and all the information already given.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I run this axle in full width form. I love the added stability of the truck over the factory width. My tires do stick out some which may be a problem in some states, (and I do have wider fenders.)

My coils bow some but it runs and drives great.
See my signature for pictures.
Dennis

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
i followed your thread and i loved your build, after seeing how wide it is I think im going to stick with my dana 30 with discs, i plan to stick with stock fenders and i dont have the means to do a big lift right now or the means to shorten a dana 44 hp. but if anyone in California is interested there is a 79 bronco at San Bernadino pickapart it has both dana 44 front and the rear 9 inch 31 spline still there. thanks for the input and the help.