• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Naval Jelly

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Has anyone ever used Naval Jelly? Any suggestions before I do? I got some from a neighbor but never heard of it before. The instrcutions are pretty staight forward but you guys always have good info about stuff so thought I'd double check before I started to use it.

Thanks

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Pretty simple.

1. CLean the area of dirt and loose rust
2. Apply liberal amount of jelly with a brush
3. Let sit for 5-10 minutes
4. Wash/Rinse off
5. Repeat as needed.

Just didn't know if anyone had any reasons not to use it or anything weird like that.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
Naval jelly works ok. It will remove a certain amount of the rust but not any thing deep or really bad. Good for surface rust and it won't leave the coating film. Wash it off with water sand lightly and prime. Sandblasting is better.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used it on my rusty floors when I first got my Bronco.
It's pretty old-school, but works to a certain extent. I can't say that it did a lot, but I had pretty substantial rust, and it did seem to clean it up a bit in the lighter areas.
Can't think of any reason not to at least try it.

For light rust too, I've been having great luck recently with "rust converting" paint/primer. You might consider a follow-up coating of that, after the Naval Jelly application.

Just bought 3 more cans of the paint tonight in fact. Made a Depot run and got one can of Rustoleum rust-converter, one can of Locktite rust converter, and one can of an unkown (but expensive) brand. Black, clear, and red colors respectively.
Will see if there's any difference between them. Painting rust spots under the hood, on Mom's washing machine, and various brackets and doohickeys.

Paul

tennessee toy

Loc.
Dyersburg, TN
used it on a 66 mustang redo. decent product - easy to use. i would definately best describe it as a cleaner - minor rust remover.
Easy to use.
great way to start and see what you really have.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I went to a VW drag race/event in California and to the local drive in hot spot for the cruise. This guy shows me a old bug that he said sat for years and was covered in rust. He said come look, I washed it with Navel Jelly and removed all the rust and that stuff works great. Well if you live in that climate you have no idea what rust is, as compared to body panels missing and holes that go on for ever. To remove rust to the mid-west means cut out and replace metal. So depends on how you need to use the rust remover, I guess.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Naval jelly is just phosphoric acid in a jelly so it stays put and works on vertical surfaces longer the liquid phosphoric. Metal treated with phosphoric acid is ready for primer but will last for years out of the weather without rusting. Floow the instructions and leave it alone to work. Wash it off with water and let it dry. Phosphoric acid converts iron oxide to a raft of different iron phosphates. THese phosphates normally come off with a minimal amount of work. Once the metal is clean go get a phosphoric acid treatment from a paint supply and wipe it on with a damp rag and allow it to dry naturally.

Once it is dry the metal is ready for primer or filler. The iron phosphates left on the steel give the metal some tooth for the primer or filler.

ned72

Loc.
Truckee
doesn't look like anyone has told you yet, but make sure you have excellent ventilation, wear chemical gloves, a painter's filter mask, long sleeve clothes and pants. it has a very strong odor from what i remember and if u get it on ur skin you better hurry and take it off

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Off subject for vehicle use, but I used it once on a rusty fixed modified choke shotgun barrel.

It cleaned the rust right off...took the blueing too. I reblued it and traded it at a gun shop for a vent-rib screw-in style barrel. They gave me 75 bucks towards the trade!

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Thanks for the tips and info. I got a big bottle for free so figured I'd use it. I'll let you know how it goes after the weekend.

Thanks