• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NC Uwharrie Trail Ride October 1-2, 2005

nhopman

Well, we talked about it a month or so ago, and I though I'd start this new thread and make it official. This is not a big event, but just a weekend that we can get together and put some Broncos on the trails.

Where: Uwharrie National Forest, Near Troy, NC

When: Weekend of October 1-2, 2005

Friday night: We can have a night trail ride if there is enough interest or just relax and socialize at the camp for those arriving in the evening.

Saturday: Trail rides starting in the morning and continuing through the afternoon, so pack a lunch. We can break for dinner then possibly an evening ride, or some evening socializing back at camp.

Sunday morning: Trail ride for those that want to.

The trails at Uwharrie aren’t too bad and there are go-a rounds for the difficult obstacles on most of the trails. We will try to have guides for each group. The trails are marked fairly well and are easy to navigate, so anyone that can read a map and has some wheeling experience should not have any difficulty leading a group. There are easy trails and difficult trails. The easy trails are suitable for mostly stock vehicles. The moderate trails are for a vehicle with some lift and at least 31” tires, there will be a few areas where difficult sections will be challenging, but they have go-a rounds if desired. The Difficult trails are suited for rigs with at least 1 locker and a minimum 33” tire, again, there are harder sections that would require 2 lockers and 35” tires or bigger, but there are easier sections for those not equipped to take the hardest lines.

Trail Information:

Total trail length: 16 miles
Open Season: April 1st to December 15th
Fees: $5.00 per-day per vehicle and OHV or a season pass for $30.00 per person.
OHV Passes can be purchased at the Donnie Mullinix Store and Eldorado Outpost – Hwy 109, Uwharrie
Swift Island BP and Uwharrie Sportsman – Hwy 24/27 and River Road
PJ’s Store - Hwy 109, Troy, NC
Uwharrie National Forest, District Office - 789 Hwy 24/27 East, Troy, NC 27371, PH: 910-576-6391

Narrative from their website: The off-highway vehicle trail system in the Uwharrie offers a variety of topography and scenery. All trails are designated for all off-highway vehicles, except for a small portion of the Dickey Bell Trail located west of SR 6584 FS roads can be used as trail connectors, but all vehicles operating on the road system must be “street legal” (there have been several people that go to Uwharrie regularly and have been ticketed for not having a street legal vehicle) meaning that the vehicles are fully licensed, inspected and registered. Persons violating these regulations will be fined according to the law.

Camping Information:

Arrowhead Campground has 50 sites for Tent/RV camping. Each site has a table, grill, lamp post and camping pad. The campground has 6 spigots located around the campground for drinking water. A bathhouse with flush toilets, hot showers, and laundry sink is available. There is a family restroom located at the front of the bathhouse if privacy is desired. A 0.75-mile paved bicycle/walking path loops around the campground.

Fee and Site Information: 50 camp sites located on two loops.
Sites 3,27,& 29 are double in size. 33 Sites with electrical hookups: $15.00 per night. Doubles: $ 30.00
17 sites with no hookups: $12.00 per night. Doubles $ 24.00 per night. Site numbers 6 & 22 are Campground Host sites.
A single site can hold 2-3 tents so you can share the site with someone to reduce the cost.

To make reservations call 877-444-6777 (toll free); TDD 877-833-6777; or visit the website at www.reserveUSA.com.
More information about and trail maps of Uwharrie and other camp sites available in the forest, is available on their website at: http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm

Hotels in the area

Uwharrie Motel
943 2427 W.
Troy, NC 27371
910-572-3701

Days Inn
531 E Main St
Biscoe, NC 27209
910-428-2525
about 7 mi from Troy

If you plan on coming, please reply to this thread so we can get an idea of how many people will be attending. Also, if you have been to Uwharrie and would be willing to help lead a group on the trail rides, please let me know.

Last edited:

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wish I could but can't make it that weekend. Look forward to meeting ya'll at Tellico later in October.

OP
OP
nhopman

nhopman

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
You know I'll be there.

Nick are you going to do any shooting on Friday afternoon?

Hadn't really planned on it, but I could probably be talked into to bringing something to make noise with. ;D

OP
OP
nhopman

nhopman

We will meet at the big parking lot around 8:30-9:00. This is the biggest parking lot and is an easy place to load/unload trailers and has plenty of parking for tow rigs, etc. I've also heard that people have the least amount of trouble with vehicle break-ins and other damage using this lot. For those arriving Friday night/or earlier Saturday Morning, I'll be in the Arrowhead Campground at site 15 (see Map)

Remember that they do not have pay stations at the trail entrance, you have to get your passes at one of these locations:

Donnie Mullinix Store and Eldorado Outpost – Hwy 109, Uwharrie
Swift Island BP and Uwharrie Sportsman – Hwy 24/27 and River Road
PJ’s Store - Hwy 109, Troy, NC
Uwharrie National Forest, District Office - 789 Hwy 24/27 East, Troy, NC 27371, PH: 910-576-6391

The Eldorado Outpost is Probably the closest place from the Campground. they also have gas and a small diner to get cooked meals, and pick up snacks, etc.

Attachments

• uwharrieMap.gif
    uwharrieMap.gif
    44.6 KB · Views: 43
  • URE-Campsites.gif
    URE-Campsites.gif
    45.9 KB · Views: 33

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Nic,

Have you reserved a couple campsites yet? I'll have a couple guys coming with me, so I'm looking for one of you guys with an empty seat that doesn't mind hauling around one of my buds.

I also wanted to make sure ChuckUNC sees this thread since we haven't heard anything from him in a long while.

Can't wait to try this new tranny out on the trails ;D

Attachments

• DSC00917.JPG
    DSC00917.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
nhopman

nhopman

I've got just my campsite reserved. I'm at site 15, I could probably fit another tent there if anyone wants to split it with me. I just looked at the reserve usa website and it looks like most every campsite in Arrowhead is still available. Here is the web address if you want to reserve one through them www.reserveUSA.com or I think you can call the ranger station to reserve a site 910-576-6391.

Right now I don't think I'll have an extra seat, but if my buddy doesn't show up, it will be open.

Nick

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure if I can make it into camp on Friday night so I just booked campsite number 12 for Saturday night only, (Oct. 1)

Let me know what your buddy decides about the open seat.

braxton357

Loc.
morganton NC
I'm in too. I'm not sure what I'll be doing about overnight stuff yet though. Do the campsites typically fill up quick or what?

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
The last time we were there most, if not all camsites were taken and lots of people doubled up with multiple tents at each site. The sites are $12 & $15 per night unless you want to try to double up with someone and split the costs. It wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and secure a spot though. Look forward to meeting you.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
Update...I've fired my 393, set timming and carb, broke in the cam. Now I have to reroute my brake lines, finish installing the bell crank for the clutch, and have the exhaust run. I'm still planning on being there Sat. I was hoping to already have it on the road putting a few break in miles on it by now. I'm sure, though, patients and persistance will prevail.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
That's good news bucket. I've reached a snag with my NP435 and it's probably going to go back in at the very last minute.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I've been driving it for a couple of days now through the neighbor hood. I'm sure they are sick of hearing my hot laps with straight headers. ;D The engine runs and sound really healthy. The 3g alt is working great, as is the saginaw powersteering pump. All that is needed is to get some exhaust hung. I believe I'm going to reuse my old 1 chambers and run them out board of the frame and turnouts in front of the rear for now. After I bob the rear and get my bumper fabbed I plan on going to a 2-1 and out the right rear with the tip tucked up close to the bumper out of harms way. I hope to have a traction bar put together by next week, but it won't keep me from being there.

OP
OP
nhopman

nhopman

Well, since others telling thier tales of woe while feverishly trying to get thier upgrades done before October1, I guess I'll contribute mine as well.

Since the last trip, I built a new front bumper (worked great at Paragon and the Roundup) I recently bought a winch and it is almost mounted and ready for action. A couple of weeks ago I got a set of 6° wedges for the rear springs to help pinion angle. Found out 6° was too much and had to order 4° and got those installed last weekend. While putting in the new wedges, discovered the u-joint that attaches to the third member was totally trashed. Looked like half the needle bearings were broken and ground up into little bits and two of the caps had some pieces broken from them (I had replaced all the u-joints 1 day before the Roundup so I'm hoping that it was just a bad joint and not something else) I decided I might as well have the Drifeshaft lengthened since it was still stock length. Got that back and installed yesterday, but haven't driven it yet.

I should finish the winch install this weekend and hopefully I will get my brakes working properly and I have just a few other smaller items to take care of. I also found a great corner to sit on to beg for gas money ;D so one way or another, I'll be ready.

See you there, Nick

CLRracer

hey guys, bucketobolts linked this to nc4x4.com. my name is Duane, and i drive a dodge ramcharger. me and some other RC owners will be staying in hunt camp that weekend, and anyone that cant get a spot at arrowhead is more than welcome to camp with us. camping there is primitive, and cost $5 a night. and ive been to uwharrie quite a few times, and am more than willing to help as trail leader or what not.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
Glad to know I'm not the only one that seems to have a project that finishes just in time. So Nick, you gonna make us wait till Sat to see your bumper? Where's the pics? Speaking of pinion angle, mine needs a reshimming since I swapped to the Cage springs. Another item on the to do list...

Good to here from you Duane and thanks for the invite. We'll see you guys there.

OP
OP
nhopman

nhopman

I don't have any decent pics of the bumper, so I guess you'll just have to wait.

Duane, thanks for the offer, maybe we can hook up and ride together since our group should be fairly small. I'm not sure what we'll run, I figured I'd wait until people show up to see what trails would be best. When are you going to be at the Hunt Camp? I should arrive sometime late Friday Afternoon on the 29th to set up camp at Arrowhead.

Nick

CLRracer

my dad and i will be the ones in the RV parked in the parking lot. were expecting about 5 trucks or so, and ive told them that we're meeting in the parking lot at rocky mountain loop by 9am. i should be there by 2 or 3 friday, and ill make a run up daniel once we get set up to get a feel for what the rest of the trails are like. then if yall want we can do a night run friday night, then do whatever yall have planned on saturday.

Duane