• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NEBRASKA RESTORATION STORY: Chapter Four (Jus' hangin' in there)

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Body Off!

With the help of some friends (pictured are Pat and Mitch) and neighbors (Josh and Tom), we got the body off, wrapped in plastic and stored safely. What a relief. Other than catching a cold, I really needed a weekend like this :)

Attachments

• Body Off 1.JPG
    Body Off 1.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Body Off 2.JPG
    Body Off 2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

720Racer

Loc.
Auburn
Tub's off

Bronco Wild,

First off, best wishes for you and your family. Two very dear people in my life have had cancer it the last five years. It's a very difficult thing and you have my respect, thoughts and prayers. :'(

Now, on the the bronco: I feel your pain on the 71'. A buddy had a CHERRY 68' (his great grandfathers, garage kept, uncut, stock 289, 66,000 original miles) and when he wanted to sell it to me I told him "I've already got one of these #$%$#*% money pits, why would I need two?"....Oh to be 22 again. I hope to be taking my tub off this week (my "job" keeps getting in the way), it excites me to see just your frame sitting there. That's when it seems like something's really getting done. I've spent the last month helping a friend on his 79' CJ7, so we'll see how good his memory is (when I start mine). I think I should go buy a digital camera so I too can share the pics. Everyone likes pics. Seems like your ranger is gonna be nice, and your alot closer to the point where you can bolt stuff on instead of cutting it off :)

Once again, best wishes,

Galen

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
720Racer said:
Bronco Wild,

First off, best wishes for you and your family. Two very dear people in my life have had cancer it the last five years. It's a very difficult thing and you have my respect, thoughts and prayers. :'(

Now, on the the bronco: I feel your pain on the 71'. A buddy had a CHERRY 68' (his great grandfathers, garage kept, uncut, stock 289, 66,000 original miles) and when he wanted to sell it to me I told him "I've already got one of these #$%$#*% money pits, why would I need two?"....Oh to be 22 again. I hope to be taking my tub off this week (my "job" keeps getting in the way), it excites me to see just your frame sitting there. That's when it seems like something's really getting done. I've spent the last month helping a friend on his 79' CJ7, so we'll see how good his memory is (when I start mine). I think I should go buy a digital camera so I too can share the pics. Everyone likes pics. Seems like your ranger is gonna be nice, and your alot closer to the point where you can bolt stuff on instead of cutting it off :)

Once again, best wishes,

Galen

Thank Galen ;) I caught a sinus infection and spent the last two days at home. I was down anyway because of my mom, then when you don't feel good, that just adds to it. I've been feeling a little overwhelmed about this project the last couple days (may be due to the cold meds). But worrying about how I'm going to get it all back together. Right when I'm ready to hit the bottom, I check the website, see the pic's of guys that have been in my shoes, and it lifts me right back up. That's just too cool. You're right, jobs, kids, wife, health...all that stuff is important and there's this dance you've got to constantly do...we just have to learn how to dance well I guess ;D Stay in touch and post some pic's. I'm going to start more tear down of the engine? Tranny? This weekend. Mom has chemo on Friday so my frustration is going to take to the Bronc again.

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Well, alot has happened in the last week, especially this weekend ;D My digital camera flash took a crap on me so unfortunately I can't post pics for the time being. Hopefully, my beautiful wife will buy a new camera sometime this week or weekend %) I made a trip up north to Bronco Connection but no one ever showed up or has returned my calls. I took some uneeded parts up to sell but it didn't pan out :'(

Here's the crazy news though. Because I was up north so far I decided to look at a Bronco in Yankton, a 1977 Ranger. The engine is a 302, BRAND NEW, blueprinted and balanced, Edelbrock goodies, Keith Black, bla bla bla. James Duff Ultimate Long Travel Suspension, 33's, Beard Seats (need new covers)...all new. The owner is going through a nasty divorce, and now the Blue Bronc is sitting next to Orange Crush aka Nebraska Restoration Story. What a weekend! Mitch and I spent all day yesterday putting in a new steering pump and brake lines...got a problem w/ steering though. It still steers hard and makes some noise. Could it be the box? Also, it has a lean to it in the rear, could the James Duff 10 packs have a soft one? The owner didn't noticed it but I took measurements from the frame to body and they are OK.

Last edited:

mpete

Loc.
Lincoln, NE
Lincoln,

Hey Broncowild -- I'm in lincoln, and have a 73 that's part way through a sefi install. I've done a lot of other stuff to mine, Not much in ther realm of body work. You and I have 3 things in common: both in Lincoln, Both have bronco's and then there's that Cancer thing, My wife starts her SECOND round of chemo on the 17th. Stop by we'll have a cold one.

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
mpete said:
Hey Broncowild -- I'm in lincoln, and have a 73 that's part way through a sefi install. I've done a lot of other stuff to mine, Not much in ther realm of body work. You and I have 3 things in common: both in Lincoln, Both have bronco's and then there's that Cancer thing, My wife starts her SECOND round of chemo on the 17th. Stop by we'll have a cold one.

Man, today is a great day mpete! Even though the new Bronco wouldn't go into reverse :mad: I think it is the PO's shifting linkage, welding idea, that is being problematic.
Anyway, this is AWESOME ;D We do have some commonalities...let's talk. PM me your phone number and I will drop you a line. I was hoping to get some local Bronco interest and between you Wilson, Snake, and 512 Cadillac, we got some Bronc's and beer drinkin' buddies. Let's getter' done :p

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
My mom's chemo was changed to the 17th as well @ 9:45 over by Shopko on 68th and O??? My wife is taking her to this one but I may go anyway. Anyway, let me know if that is where your wife goes and what time you will be there if you don't mind.

Johnny ;)

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Okie Dokie, my wife shaved my head and my sons this weekend in support of my mom, now it got cold out %)

Losing her hair was a huge blow but she overcame that and with a shaved head, she is wearing some cool hats and staying proud. What a woman ;D

Project Orange has taken a back seat since the arrival of "Da Blue Bronco", as my son says. The "lean" has been determined to be a weak leaf in the right rear, something I am not going to worry about right now, but will correct by replacing the 10 pack w/ 11's. Chuck at BC is trying to find me new seat covers for the Beard seats up front and rear bucket. The steering problem found was not the pump, as I replaced that but worn out ball joints and axle U-joints that were troubleshot by the leaf tester. He wanted 800 bones to fix :mad: Needless to say, I am going to tackle this project at that cost. So the Blue Bronc is going up on stands and will receive it's first surgery in it's new operating room. I have not ordered the new parts but am researching diligently to find the right deal along w/ necessary tools. Thanks to those for the help and all of the support along the way...that is truely PRICELESS ;)

720Racer

Loc.
Auburn
Bronco Wild,

Congrats on the new addition to the garage, I'm right there with ya. My 66' is all torn apart, and I bought a 69' last week, so I've got twice as many projects, but half the $$$ for each. Looking forward to some pics of your new bronco. I've been thinking about you and your mom. Keep your chin up.

Galen

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hey guys i have enjoyed this site guess it is time to pay my "dues" well worth the money
Bronco Wild,
sorry about your mother if you are really mad at cancer take a look at this site http://www.cancer.org/docroot/GI/gi_1.asp Relay for Life is an awesome event that takes place all across the US My county raised over 55K last year at this event. All you other guys take a look too.

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Alaska-Nope, you didn't miss the pic's, my camera took a crap on me last weekend right when I brought Blue home. I hope to get a new one real soon! Sorry ;)

Fordguy-Thanks for info. My wifes work does this too and I've been involve as well. Mpete-check it out if you haven't yet ;D Thanks Fordguy and welcome. Become a contributor to the BEST BRONCO SITE IN THE WORLD ;D

Galen, thanks again for your support ;) I was telling my Dad about all you guys and he was all smiles :) He's a Ford man for life and is looking for an old street rod to take my mom cruising this summer in :D Yeah, the money deal is always the biggest obstacle...2 Bronco's is very bad on the pocket book :'( Right now the 77' is going to get the attention because it will be my DD. The 76' is going to be done immaculate so time isn't the issue...the $$$ spent on each phase is though :eek: At least I have a nice parts stash sitting next to Blue :)

720Racer

Loc.
Auburn
I hear ya about the parts stash. Between two broncos, I have enough parts to make at least one that runs ;)

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
That's all that matter's Galen!

Jeff in AZ helped me out a bunch on my Ball Joint/U Joint woes which will commence this evening if UPS is so kind today. Unfortunately, I didn't get anytime to work on Orange but that's OK. Hoping to get Blue out of the garage this week. Gotta camera borrowed, so I will take pic's tonight of the "new addition" and some better lighted of Orange ;D

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Happy St. Patrick's Day All :D

It's GREEN beer for me tonight :)

Mitch and I have been busting our A$$'$ on the front end and our hoping to get it out this weekend. Everything has been tore down, cleaned and is ready for assembly. New rotors/pads, stainless lines, spindle kit, wheelbearings, seals, ball joints and axle u-joints...wheeeeewww :p

We are going to try and find a cherry picker to borrow so we can get the engine out of Orange....can't wait until the days get longer :cool:

Some pics of the new Blue under surgery :-[

Attachments

• Bronco Front End Pic 1.JPG
    Bronco Front End Pic 1.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Bronco Front End Pic 2.JPG
    Bronco Front End Pic 2.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Bronco Front End Pic 5.JPG
    Bronco Front End Pic 5.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Bronco Front End Pic 6.JPG
    Bronco Front End Pic 6.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
The front end went back together nicely with the exception of the JBG Rotor that crumbled before our eyes. The rotor was received and signed for yesterday by JBG so we will see how this transpires. I went with new discs, lines and the whole nine yards...the steering issue ended up being the rag joint...only moved one direction :-[ That was solved last night ;D Yah, it was a goooood night, now Blue steers like a dream...we cracked some brews and installed the new Hookers. With old pipes off we had to fire her up....Whooooooooooooooooooshshhhhhhhh! Dang, that Blueprint sounds Goooooooooooooooooooooood!
Stainless Magnaflow XL's go on tomorrow through 2 1/4" out da a$$...found the cherry picker to pull the engine and tranny out of Orange...next phase will be working simulaneously on new lift for the 76', powder coating all components, while getting 77' ready for nice weather...roll cage going in, soft top, Herc'd, new rims and the stereo. Keep on keepin' on :p

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Got two of these badboys on this weekend :cool: I've had every vehicle I've ever owned in for aftermarket exhaust and NONE compare to this ;D Dual stainless Magnaflow XL's running out fat stainless in the end...had some other tweaking issues to fix but took it out on Easter let my old man play on some hills and in da' mud :p It's quiet inside...until you put your FOOT IN IT ;) Yeeeeooooowwwww!

I highly recommend these if anyone is in the market for new exhaust :)

Attachments

• Magnaflow.jpg
    Magnaflow.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 48

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco Wild, Am real sorry to here about your mother. I know what you're going thru, as I lost mine a little over a year ago. Tell her to keep her chin up and think positive about this , I'm convinced this can help a body beat something like this better than anything else. On another note, the progress on your Bronco looks like it's coming along real well , good luck with it. I envy you having a place to store the body while you work on the engine and chassis related stuff, you can never have to much room in a shop. I'm into a frame-off myself and room in my shop is at a premium. Again, good luck with the build and good luck with your mother, I hope she gets well real soon. Sam

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
broncosam said:
Bronco Wild, Am real sorry to here about your mother. I know what you're going thru, as I lost mine a little over a year ago. Tell her to keep her chin up and think positive about this , I'm convinced this can help a body beat something like this better than anything else. On another note, the progress on your Bronco looks like it's coming along real well , good luck with it. I envy you having a place to store the body while you work on the engine and chassis related stuff, you can never have to much room in a shop. I'm into a frame-off myself and room in my shop is at a premium. Again, good luck with the build and good luck with your mother, I hope she gets well real soon. Sam

Thank you much for the kind words Sam :) Sorry to hear about your mother, that had to be a significant change in your life. Hope all is well and good luck with your frame off. Post some pictures so that I and everyone else can admire it ;D
Johnny

OP
OP
Bronco Wild

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
SBeen awhile since I posted progress :-[ Mom is a little over half way through chemo, it's tuff. To boot, the government won't allow bone marrow testing after chemo. She basically got smacked over the head with this news...oh, by the way, you go through months of chemo, then your fate is sealed in an envelope...Good luck. Yeah, guess I fell victim to one of the health industry's many screw ups. Just glad I don't have to work in it.

All in all, I'm staying positive and I got my head straightened out. I've been focusing on work which is going great, my dad and I's business is chucking along and I just started another business, so my spare time is minimal, but I have added the Tuffy, haven't picked it up, (from the mass buy)...Beard is working on new custom seat covers for the blue Bronco, and I'm working on obtaining new 35's to put on the new black Pacers's I bought. The Orange Crush may go out to my uncles to finish dismantling to get the frame in for powder coating, hopefull will be a rolling chassis by fall if things stay busy. Looking for body and paint contact to give blue a new look! I'm pumped for that, should be done before long. Will start posting pics again when things start lining up.
Happy Spring!