• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a quick answer... Toyota PS Box

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How well do the Toyota power steering boxes work on the Bronco? It is the correct one... I've only got a few hours to pull it. Thanks...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I looked at that some time ago and have been keeping my eyes out for one. Mostly interested about the ratio and if they are heavy enough for the application. How well they work with an Explorer pump etc.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
i understand they are a great ratio for offroad but on the road they are a bit quick..not sure how they hold up

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
I've been running one ('90 4-runner) for over a year now, and love it on the hiway, makes my old rig drive like a new car. Not too quick of a ratio for the hiway at all. Only running 31's and don't off road to severely, so no problems there. I think NVRSTK runs one also, and he running 35's at least and thrashes it....:eek: and he's not complaining. :cool:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 1986+ IFS Toyota boxes have been a favorite in various off-road communities for a while...most of the high-steer solid axle Toyota guys swap to the IFS box without issues, many of which are running 35-42 inch tires and beating the piss out of them with similar weight rigs (3500-4500#). Easy to port for ram assist which is probably the best thing you can do to take some load off of the box and sector shaft IMO.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Went and pulled it this morning. It came off a 86 Toyota pickup IFS. Its considerably smaller and lighter than the 4X4X2 converted box I was planning on using. I can stay with plan A and give the Toyota Setup to my brother for his 73. Use it and give him the big box. Or upgrade my 85 Yota to high steer. The 4X4X2 box has a little sector gear wear and this one is like new. Very smooth and 0 back lash stop to stop.

It looks like a great fit. Looks like the one frame hole would postition it nicely and the other 2 will be in the frame rail.

What are guys using for a pittman arm?

Attachments

• Toyota steering box 006 (Large).jpg
    Toyota steering box 006 (Large).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 70
  • Toyota steering box 007 (Large).jpg
    Toyota steering box 007 (Large).jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Toyota steering box 008 (Large).jpg
    Toyota steering box 008 (Large).jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What kind of wear? Are the splines twisted? That's pretty common on older ones that have been in accidents. Even those that have not been crashed hard can have some twist to the shaft, so it's one of those things we look out for when choosing a 4x4x2 core.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What kind of wear? Are the splines twisted? That's pretty common on older ones that have been in accidents. Even those that have not been crashed hard can have some twist to the shaft, so it's one of those things we look out for when choosing a 4x4x2 core.

Good luck.

Paul

I think its just some normal wear. The box was out of a 78 Bronco and the rack/screw was out of an Econoline van. If you adjust the backlash out in the center it gets a little thight at the stops. probably just a little mismatch between two slightly worn components.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did your Ford lower shaft fit on the Toyota splines?

That's the Toyota arm on the box. Have not pulled it yet. Toyota uses a ball joint in the arm and a tapered hole in the tie rod. I could fab up a tie rod with a tapered hole on the steering box end and a hiem on the other end.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Use the stock pitman arm and change the taper or drill it for a hiem.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Use the stock pitman arm and change the taper or drill it for a hiem.

The ball joint is part of the Toytoa arm. I'm thinking of making a drag link with with a tapered hole in the upper end. It might work better at keeping water out.

It might be possible to pop that ball out and machine it for a heim.

Attachments

• Toyota steering box 011 (Large).jpg
    Toyota steering box 011 (Large).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Toyota steering box 010 (Large).jpg
    Toyota steering box 010 (Large).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see, I thought you were refering to the Toyota steering shaft had a ball joint. I bet you could pull it apart and get a 7/8" hole drilled. I may have an old Toyota arm from a lift I installed years ago in my shop off a 93 4x4 I can tear apart to measure if there is enough material. That way you will not have to break your good one.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see, I thought you were refering to the Toyota steering shaft had a ball joint. I bet you could pull it apart and get a 7/8" hole drilled. I may have an old Toyota arm from a lift I installed years ago in my shop off a 93 4x4 I can tear apart to measure if there is enough material. That way you will not have to break your good one.

Thanks! That would be helpfull.