• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a quick answer... Toyota PS Box

Oatmeal

Bad news, looks like the pitman arm I had is missing. I read somewhere else that they just cut them in half and welded a ford end on the Toyota arm. I am not sure what material those arms are made of, but I think it is forged steel.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176573&highlight=toyota+steering+arm
Don't even bother with that stuff (your life could depend on it), check these out: http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=135

I bought one of their arms several years ago when I did my Toyota's high steer.

Good quality, good prices, good people to deal with ;)

Hans

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
Plenty of places to get pitman arms. Try marlin crawler, wabfab (they sell trail-gear stuff), trail-gear, all-pro off road to name a few. Guys run dana 44's in the front alot so I'm sure they sell them with the proper spline to accept the TRE.

I also have a complete IFS box with pump with remote resevoir and even the cooler which mounts on the core support on the front of the truck/4Ruynner. I pulled it out of a pick-n-pull a couple of years ago for an 85 I was planning on putting hysteer in. I am only looking to get $75 for all of it.

sdugs

Loc.
Jax, FL
Did the Toy Steering back in 93 when I first got my Bronco. I was still learning but the guy next door built race trucks so he came over and just welded the ford end to the toy drop pitman arm and it was perfect. Also grabbed an lates 80s ps pump from a border patrol Bronco and its still on there. I run 35's and have since then with no problems. The Bronco also was my daily driver for years and drove from Va down to Fl with me and 2 120lb Rotts in the middle of the summer. That is its own story lol. I actually got the instructions and parts to buy from the EBR guys there in San Diego.

big jim

Anyone know off hand what the pressure fitting on these are? I think I will be going this route. I am confident it will work for me I have had a bunch of toyotas and hamered on them hard With 38"s. Broke a lot of stuff but never a steering box. plus they are cheap, like me

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
5/16 inverted flare x 16mm x 1.5 thread pitch on the pressure end, 5/16" inverted flare on the return.

Trail Gear sells the adapter fittings to AN/JIC. That might be cheaper in the end.

Toyota IFS boxes are good to well over 33" tall tires. I don't know how this myth keeps propagating regarding their strength. The big deal will be finding a pitman arm long enough to turn your Dana 44 (8 3/4" ball joint to TRE) with a 6 3/4 replacement arm. You won't get full steering without a longer arm than Marlin, TG or Sky sells.

This is why many 1 ton Toyotas go to full hydro instead of Toy based ram assist. You can lengthen the arm, but I would only advise this for extremely skilled welders and fabricators.