• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a quick answer-using heat to pull rear axles?

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Tearing apart a rearend to use the center section and cannot seem to get the axles out. Would it be safe to heat the end of the axle tube to free up the bearing? Don't recall any seals or other items that could get damaged by heat. Thanks

Walt

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
I am pretty sure there is an axle seal there. I know it sounds crude but I used a chain held on by one of the lug nuts and a sledge hammer. Popped right out after a couple swings.

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Crude is good!! The axle is in the garage on jackstands with my Ford 1920 tractor bucket pressing down on it to stabilize it. No pictures, can't imagine the grief I would get. Back to the sledge hammer, did you hook the chain to the hammer and swing it? Not quite sure what you mean.

Thanks

mrw

Loc.
MassHole
If you had the axle still on the Bronco, with a tire on you can put a bottle jack between the tire and the frame and press the axle out of the tube.

jeffdukovac

Put your drum on backwards with 3 lugs - give it a few good yanks - like a slide hammer.

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Starting to get pi%#@d off with this axle!!! Tried heat, tried a high lift wedged against the center section, five foot iron bar, slide hammer/drum trick. Neither side will budge!!! Just talked to a friend that mentioned cutting off the ends of the axle tube. Started to laugh but then thought what a great idea!:eek: Just did another axle last week and the slide hammer/drum trick had them out in a few hits. More ideas always welcome or I'll be going to Home Depot in the morning for a case of Sawzall blades!! As always thanks for all suggestions.

Walt

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Take the bolts holding the backing plates completely out.

I'm sure you've removed the nuts, use a drift and tap the bolts out. Getting the axle out after that is a snap. It's probably jammed between the retainer plate and the bolt, that's happened to me a few times.

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Bolts are out, completely stripped everything that would come off. Down to just the axle, retainer plate, and brake backing plate. Still won't budge.

Walt

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
have you tried using an axle puller. it's a big slide hammer that hooks to the lugs. alot of parts stores rent them for like $20 then bring it back and get your money back.

we had same problem before usually brake drum works with some effort but wouldn't budge. then finnaly went and rented an axle puller and it came right out. alot of time brute force won't move something then hammering motion gets it. the big slide hammer works good!!!

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
All that and neither side comes out?

Weird.

Is there any oil in the case? Are they rusted in place maybe?

If there's no oil in the case, try filling it with some penetrating oil (think ATF) and let it sit over night.

The tension on it from the tractor may also be working against you, if you're bowing the housing a little bit.

Try tapping the axle in, then slide hammering it out (the sledge and chain trick is popular, or the brake drum backwards also works.)

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
This is what I use to remove axles. I made it with 3/4" pipe and a bunch of fittings. Welded up a few attachments for tips.

It works all the time.

Attachments

• slidehammer.jpg
    slidehammer.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 32

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
A big slide hammer is the only way to go when you get a real stubborn axle.
using heat may help. Don't worry about the seal, nobody would be so cheap as to pull the axle without replacing the seal anyway.

daj

In the old days before slap hammers we put a chain on two of the lug nuts and ran it through the spare tire (a real heavy one) and used it as a slide hammer. You really have to swing it! Well it worked for me.
dj

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
AXLES ARE OUT!!!;D Went to Auto Zone and rented a slide hammer, actually free, get my money back when I return it. Still took a lot of hits, funny thing is there is very little rust and overall things look good. Oh well, I'll be ready next time. Thanks to all.

Walt