• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a shorter headlight switch

betzgb

Contributor
I could use some creative help. I have reconfigured my dash and moved the headlight switch higher. Now it is making contact with the engine cowling behind the dash. I have about 3.5" of clearance but the switch is 4" long. Is there an aftermarket headlight switch that is more compact? Alternatively, anyone tried mounting the switch without the spacer shown by the red arrow? That would give me the room I need but would need to source a bezel nut that was shorter. Looks like this nut might do the job if the threads match:
https://www.classicindustries.com/p...h1FRwtHonCaztQUoJIezncAphYPDNtv0aAkiJEALw_wcB

Other ideas welcome.

Attachments

• headlamp switch.jpg
    headlamp switch.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 29

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I don't have the spacer on mine, but do have a shorter "nut", the knob sticks out like the park lights are on all the time, but it works fine. I've been wanting to try a 60's jeep rod, they are shorter but can't confirm yet that it works. As far as that goes the switch from the 60's jeeps are shorter just don't know what is involved in making the wires all fit. for example the switch in my 1970 gladiator is shorter.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
there are allot of headlight switches but you will loose the inside light dimmer function rheostat in a smaller switch. but you could just wire it for power full on for the dash light.. do a search for Cole Hersey head light switch. they are or were the best in the Business.

OP
OP
B

betzgb

Contributor
Ok I was able to find a way to delete the spacer in the factory light switch setup. I took the headlight switch bezel nut and used a 7/16-24 die and threaded it all the way up to the head. I held the bezel nut gently in a vice and the metal is soft so it threaded well. I then used a Dremel to cut .74" off the bezel nut (which is the height of the spacer) and also cut the light switch shaft down by the same amount . It all came together nicely.

My plan B was a Cole Hersee 7124-BX since I was willing to delete the dimmer function. The bezel nut that comes with that switch would need to have the hex shape rounded off and slotted to fit down into the HeadLight bezel trim ring but it is a small switch and would have given you lots of room behind the dash.

What DID NOT WORK was trying a couple of other bezel nuts out there. This one: https://www.classicindustries.com/p...h1FRwtHonCaztQUoJIezncAphYPDNtv0aAkiJEALw_wcB was for a GM switch so it was threaded 7/16-28 and does not work with the factory switch. It was also slightly too large to sit recessed in the Bronco light trim ring. The inside hole was also a larger diameter and would have left the switch wobbly (technical term). This one is TOO SMALL and not a match either: https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/lighting/headlight/c2tz-11650-a-lswitch-to-dash-nut

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Attachments

• switch bezel.jpg
    switch bezel.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 18

mraine

Contributor
Ok I was able to find a way to delete the spacer in the factory light switch setup. I took the headlight switch bezel nut and used a 7/16-24 die and threaded it all the way up to the head. I held the bezel nut gently in a vice and the metal is soft so it threaded well. I then used a Dremel to cut .74" off the bezel nut (which is the height of the spacer) and also cut the light switch shaft down by the same amount . It all came together nicely.

My plan B was a Cole Hersee 7124-BX since I was willing to delete the dimmer function. The bezel nut that comes with that switch would need to have the hex shape rounded off and slotted to fit down into the HeadLight bezel trim ring but it is a small switch and would have given you lots of room behind the dash.

What DID NOT WORK was trying a couple of other bezel nuts out there. This one: https://www.classicindustries.com/p...h1FRwtHonCaztQUoJIezncAphYPDNtv0aAkiJEALw_wcB was for a GM switch so it was threaded 7/16-28 and does not work with the factory switch. It was also slightly too large to sit recessed in the Bronco light trim ring. The inside hole was also a larger diameter and would have left the switch wobbly (technical term). This one is TOO SMALL and not a match either: https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/lighting/headlight/c2tz-11650-a-lswitch-to-dash-nut

Hope this helps someone else out there.
I am installing a new centech harness and have the same issue. They included the new switch but not the spacer. Since you shortened the bezel nut, does your light switch knob stick out? It seems like it would.

I drilled out the spot welds on the old spacer and am going to try to weld it to the new switch. I expect a full blown meltdown since I weld poorly but will give it a try. Anybody else have suggestions?

Attachments

• 20220304_140633.jpg
    20220304_140633.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
B

betzgb

Contributor
I did have to cut the light switch shaft shorter so it didn't stick out as far. Quick dremel task.