• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need answer and quick!

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
My water pump started leak today and I need to go to the parts store and change it out today!

What all do I need?

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Get pump..it comes with gasket
Are hoses ok?
Maybe some sealant to help with gasket adhesion.
Need a couple containers of anti freeze

70_Steve

Old Guy
Maybe new hose clamps.

And I like to mix my antifreeze with distilled water...

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Get thread sealant for the long bolts that go into the water jacket. If your lucky enough to get them out, it's because someone did it last time.

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Thanks guys for all the quick replys and for the good advice. I'm off to the parts store.%)

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Get thread sealant for the long bolts that go into the water jacket. If your lucky enough to get them out, it's because someone did it last time.

Ditto Biggin'! I can hear the voice of experience here.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Well, since you have it torn down that far, may be a good time to replace the timing chain. How old is the motor? Any simple project can easily turn into bigger one. Timing chain? An RV cam sure would be nice.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Any simple project can easily turn into bigger one. Timing chain? An RV cam sure would be nice.
Talk about making a project bigger!!!:eek: How do you get the cam in without pulling the motor, or cutting a hole in the grill???:cool:

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Talk about making a project bigger!!!:eek: How do you get the cam in without pulling the motor, or cutting a hole in the grill???:cool:

Yep and while the motor is out might as well clean up and paint the enjun bay too....right;)

Revelation

Bronco Guru
While you have the motor tore down, go ahead and freshen up the Trans and T-case. Front and rear end could need freshened up and lockers. Hows the body? Good time to get a nice paint job too!!!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
How old are the pistons and bearings? Might as well swap them out while you have the water pump off.%)
Seriously, what it takes is time and patience. radiator then fan come off first. The accessories all overlap the water pump so those need to be disconnected too. Take it easy on the bolts since some probably are corroded. Really pretty straight forward. I've been pulling the grill whenever I work on the front of the motor. Makes water pumps really easy.
Parts?
pump & gasket
RTV
anti seize
belts
hoses (top & bottom radiator, bypass, and heater)
coolant

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I was obviously kidding about the cam, but it just goes to show you. Where do you draw the line on this stuff?
I did put on a new timing chain, when I needed to change my water pump. There's lots of miles on my stock 302.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do what buckaroo said too. If you're thinking you can change the pump without removing the radiator, you're correct. You can.
But why, when you can take a few minutes to remove the radiator and have all that nice extra room to work with when you're trying to extract the two broken bolts that won't let go!!!!

Yep, been there, done that. Take out the radiator. You'll be happier when that extra few minutes saves your elbows, knees, neck and back.

Paul

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Just got in from the garage, finished the water pump replacement. Started on it around two this afternoon, but had to take a five hour break to work my part time job.%) I got restarted around 9:30 and finished with the clean up at 11:30. Turned out to be a pretty easy job.:) No broke bolts or knuckles. While it was at it I changed out the thermostat as well. Didn't have to pull the radiator, but I sure thought about it when wrestling with the fan bolts. Very tight space. My motor only has 80k miles on it so thing are in pretty good shape under the hood. It's been well maintained by the previous owners.:cool:

Thanks all for the help and advice. I really love this site I can always count on the fine folks hear.

Thanks

Fred