• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need bearings Chevy spindle for Dana 44 hdf axle

cw

Does anyone know if there is a bearing to go from the 79 ford rotors to a Chevy spindle from a Dana 44 hdf front axle. Aparently the Dana 44 HDR axle takes a 368a inner bearing which has a 2" inner diameter.

I got these from the junk yard 10 years ago and re drilled the Chevy rotors for 5 on 5.5. Now want to toto ford rotors which I just purchased.

Or am I looking at buying new spindles?

Thoughts and prayers please...

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey cw. Not sure of the answer, and unfortunately someone threw away my old bearing specification books that were easier to read and find stuff than the one I have now.
Never heard of anyone using the big 3/4 ton stuff on their Bronco though.

Is the HDF version the 8-lug model from a 3/4 or 1 ton truck? Or were they standard 1/2 ton 6 on 5.5 lug pattern hubs and rotors originally?

At least the new spindles aren't all that expensive in the scheme of things. But it'd be nice not to have to go there if you didn't really need to, right?
If nobody has an answer I'll try to do a little digging tomorrow.

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
An industrial bearing supplier can easily look up what may or may not be available. Just knock out the outer race of the hub you want to use and the spindle bearing for the chevy and take them to the bearing supplier. They can measure the diameters you need and see whats available. In my opinion it is better to keep stuff in the same family its far easier to replace parts later when your memory gets fuzzy.

If its out there the industrial bearing supplier can find it.

OP
OP
C

cw

Hey cw. Not sure of the answer, and unfortunately someone threw away my old bearing specification books that were easier to read and find stuff than the one I have now.
Never heard of anyone using the big 3/4 ton stuff on their Bronco though.

Is the HDF version the 8-lug model from a 3/4 or 1 ton truck? Or were they standard 1/2 ton 6 on 5.5 lug pattern hubs and rotors originally?

At least the new spindles aren't all that expensive in the scheme of things. But it'd be nice not to have to go there if you didn't really need to, right?
If nobody has an answer I'll try to do a little digging tomorrow.

Paul
Thanks Paul, I was hoping you might know. The spindles were off a 1/2 ton with 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I tried to find bearings to work, even looked up on line that's where I got the HDF spindle with a 2" I'd bearing. 238s I think( guessing it's some heavy duty application??) but gave up and called JUSTIN at WH. The spindles are on their way and should be here tomorrow. Just hoping the set 37's and 45 bearings I have will work. We will find out tomorrow.

Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool. Thanks.

Must've been an odd one though, to use the 368A bearing. All the half-tons I have listed from '57 to '77 using the 44-5F use the same Set-37 and Set-45 combo.
I don't see anything listed as an HDR in my book at all.
There is an 5-HDF and a 44-6DF listed, both available with the 368A, but they're showing up only on 3/4 ton trucks in my Timken book.
Seems consistent too, with the "HD" designation usually meaning Heavy Duty with 8 lugs wheels.

However, some of the 1/2 ton axles use the LM104949 bearing, which is virtually identical to the 368A. I wonder if someone just put the wrong number in there previously? Might not even be "wrong" since they're such close relatives. Maybe just an "optional" number?

Anyway, other than more money, the new spindles will certainly simplify the issue. As long as you're using the Ford hubs under those older GM 6-lug rotors that you re-drilled? The hub that takes the #4250 seal? And not the #471271?
Now that you have Ford rotors too, I would presume that's what you're using. It's just that, with two different seal numbers, it's possible you could have another issue to overcome. I didn't compare dimensions though, so maybe they both work.
You'll know soon...;)
(edit: Nevermind. They must be the same where it counts, or we wouldn't be able to use the 4250's on the GM spindles in the first place. Differences must lie in the outer dimension or some other design criteria)

Let us know.

Paul

OP
OP
C

cw

Paul,
Thanks for your research. The Chevy rotors came off a 1/2 ton. 6 on 5.5. I thought I was golden. I purchased the 79 bronco rotors and hubs from wh. We should be good to go. What's another 200.00 anyways right? Except the wife is starting to talk under her breath at times!!! I think a date night is in order! Haha!

Thanks again!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Send some flowers to her at the begining of the week with a little note so she can stare at them all week. You will be #1 again.

OP
OP
C

cw

Send some flowers to her at the begining of the week with a little note so she can stare at them all week. You will be #1 again.

Thanks Rusty! Been married 21 years and she does like the roses!!! For every occasion!

OP
OP
C

cw

Need bearings foe Dana 44 HDR spindle *Update*

Thanks to all for replying. Success was purchased from WH in new spindles for Chevy disk brake conversion. Appears toy I had big bearing spindles.

Thanks again.