• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Bumper Dimensions

MDBronco

I am going to be building a front and rear bumper for my 71' later this week in shop class here at school.

Only problem is, my bronco is 180miles away back at home.

Can someone tell me the dimensions to use. I will need to know, overall length of front end, length between frame ends, length between bumper bolts, ect.

Anybody know or can easily go outside and measure for me?

I really like these two easy bumper designs I found on this site:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58703&d=1169475815

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89749&highlight=cheap+bumper

Thanks for the help!!

MattMoe

Contributor
Loc.
Baton Rouge
Front
23 1/2 in between frame
26 1/2 in between bolt holes
29 5/8 outside frame
58 inside the front notch
64 outside the fenders

Rear
23 3/4 in between frame
26 3/4 in between bolt holes
29 1/4 outside frame
54 1/4 inside the rear notch
62 1/2 outside the fenders

I hope this makes sense, let me know if it does not.

Disclaimer: Not liable for you bumper not fitting ;D

jwiegele

Loc.
Peachtree City, GA
Just finished building front/rear bumpers

Our measurements were nearly identical to Blueeyedevil's. I would want to have the Bronco in front of me if I was building them, because a 1/4" can make a difference. For sure, I would wait to drill the mounting holes until I test fitted it if I were you. We used 2x4 1/8" rectangular tubing in front, and 2x5 3/16" rectangular tubing in back with 2x4 frame inserts front and rear. See pics below. If you have questions, let me know.

Joe

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
I would do all the major fab work in shop class, but I would not attach the frame inserts to the main bumper until you can test fit on the bronco or get exact measurements on your frame.

JoseyWales

Loc.
Chattanooga, TN
Our measurements were nearly identical to Blueeyedevil's. I would want to have the Bronco in front of me if I was building them, because a 1/4" can make a difference. For sure, I would wait to drill the mounting holes until I test fitted it if I were you. We used 2x4 1/8" rectangular tubing in front, and 2x5 3/16" rectangular tubing in back with 2x4 frame inserts front and rear. See pics below. If you have questions, let me know.

Joe

Joe, I like your bumpers. I am going to build bumpers very similar to yours. I've been wondering though if it is practical to put the drawbar receivers up higher so that they wouldn't affect the approach and departure angles. Most of the bumpers I've seen including the ones that Duff sells have it low. Is there a fit or function problem with having them nearer to the top edge of the bumpers?

Thanks, Greg.

OP
OP
M

MDBronco

How long are you guys cutting the 2x4 that goes to the frame?

I figured around 4", but wasnt sure...

jwiegele

Loc.
Peachtree City, GA
How long are you guys cutting the 2x4 that goes to the frame?

I figured around 4", but wasnt sure...

That's where it's important to have your vehicle handy to test fit everything. In the back, there are body bushings that protrude where the insert slides in, preventing it from sliding in all the way. I know you get more than four inches. What you want to do is leave it longer (if you have enough stock) and trim it when you fit it to the Bronco. I'd estimate at least 6".

jwiegele

Loc.
Peachtree City, GA
Joe, I like your bumpers. I am going to build bumpers very similar to yours. I've been wondering though if it is practical to put the drawbar receivers up higher so that they wouldn't affect the approach and departure angles. Most of the bumpers I've seen including the ones that Duff sells have it low. Is there a fit or function problem with having them nearer to the top edge of the bumpers?

Thanks, Greg.

Greg, that's exactly why we located the receiver up higher, so there was little or no effect on the the approach and departure angles. My son Tom designed and built them (I am just the helper) and clearance is the big issue with him. Reality is we don't plan to tow much anyway - the receiver offers another recovery point. We will need a bigger drop hitch bar when we tow the boat or camper (very seldom). As far as fit and functionality with having them nearer the top edge, the only issue we encountered was drilling holes for the hitch pin and safety chains. Make sure you drill the holes prior to welding everything in, or you'll have clearance problems when you try to drill them afterwards. For the rear bumper, we used 2x5 3/16" steel for additional strength in towing situations. Glad you liked them, my son was very pleased with the way they turned out.

Joe