• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Dana 20 Help !

mnido

Need some help, advice. I have been doing a 7-8 year complete build on my 74. I should have done a continuous build thread but didn’t. I am starting to take my Bronco for short rides around my neighborhood. Last week I took it a little further and while cruising in third gear I felt the driveline seem to bind up, took my foot off the gas coasted and it seemed to go away. I did drive slowly back home ¼ of a mile. Yesterday while crawling around underneath looking for some signs of what it could have been I noticed the retainer on the idler shaft has ripped from its location. Looks like I found what bound up ? What do you think ?? Have you ever seen this before ? I did the rebuild myself, seemed easy. But after 7-8 years I don’t feel like tearing into it. I would like to just replace it !

Attachments

• 20160215_155010.jpg
    20160215_155010.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 239

70_Steve

Old Guy
But after 7-8 years I don’t feel like tearing into it. I would like to just replace it !
So, what are you asking? What to replace it with?

The idler shaft looks to be in the proper position. Unless it has spun completely around and just happened to stop at that point. Doesn't cost much, or take much effort to pull the inspection cover.

I don't see any leaks anywhere. You sure you put gear oil in it?

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Not sure at this point what I am asking Steve, still kind of in shock to see the keeper tore like that. It was late last night when I saw this, I will check for oil when I get home form work, I want to say yes, but there is some doubt there. I would really feel stupid after I all I have done. I had a day when I did all the fluids, NV3550, transfer case , and both differentials. Other than oil what could cause the shaft to spin, it has done something for that holder to tear, right ?? Thanks Steve.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Not sure at this point what I am asking Steve, still kind of in shock to see the keeper tore like that. It was late last night when I saw this, I will check for oil when I get home form work, I want to say yes, but there is some doubt there. I would really feel stupid after I all I have done. I had a day when I did all the fluids, NV3550, transfer case , and both differentials. Other than oil what could cause the shaft to spin, it has done something for that holder to tear, right ?? Thanks Steve.
It really would be odd for something to bind up so bad on the idler shaft that it caused it to spin. The only thing on that shaft is the idler/intermediate gear, with all the roller bearings inside. And even without gear oil (I was being funny... sort of...) usually those bearings get installed with grease or Vaseline or something, which should have kept it somewhat lubricated for a couple miles. There are stories about guys knocking holes in their Dana20, loosing all the gear oil and finishing the day wheeling.

Sucks to think about having to redo something you have already done, but there are some low effort checks that can be done to help troubleshoot. Plus, if it really is something in the transfer case, you just take a deep breath, and just go do what needs to be done. There's a reason why I don't keep a list of everything I've done on my Bronco 3 (or more) times!!!

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

It really would be odd for something to bind up so bad on the idler shaft that it caused it to spin. The only thing on that shaft is the idler/intermediate gear, with all the roller bearings inside. And even without gear oil (I was being funny... sort of...) usually those bearings get installed with grease or Vaseline or something, which should have kept it somewhat lubricated for a couple miles. There are stories about guys knocking holes in their Dana20, loosing all the gear oil and finishing the day wheeling.

Sucks to think about having to redo something you have already done, but there are some low effort checks that can be done to help troubleshoot. Plus, if it really is something in the transfer case, you just take a deep breath, and just go do what needs to be done. There's a reason why I don't keep a list of everything I've done on my Bronco 3 (or more) times!!!
Thanks for the advice. And yes the oil thing... Even though it was late last night when I saw this, I could not bring myself to check the oil.. but I still think there is oil in it. The only real two issues I am experiencing so far is my oil pan leak and this transfer case issue. Of course I have not ran it to much, yet. Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Never seen that happen. From the look of the paint discoloration it got very hot. It's just a D20, take it apart and fix it. Might need a new shaft and roller bearings.

KBUCK1

Hopefully it wont be too bad. It alost looks like the casse has a crack in it down on the lower right corner.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I have spun mine. I saw the same thing, a destroyed keeper... my shaft was turned 180 from where it was supposed to be. I do alot of low range high rpm hammer down driving and I've trashed more than a couple Dana 20s... the thrust washer might be ruined too. In my case, that washer was completely consumed and the idler gear machined into the case... keep us posted on what you find.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Hot agreed! Look at the color. At that D20 is way to clean to have oil in it :(

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Thanks Guys ! I will fix the oil pan leak first, want to make sure the leak is pan and not the rear main seal. Only want to pull the transfer case once. And I checked, has oil. I think something seized inside and the weak link was the retainer, and the shaft spun the 1/4 mile back to my house. Like I said when I was driving cruising along I felt and heard something start to bind, feeling sound went away and I slowly cruised home. Make sense ??

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

I took my transfer case to M.I.T. in El Cajon, Calif. to have them diagnosis and repair. It seems I did not pack enough grease around the roller bearings. Idler shaft was welded to the case.. I need a new shaft, gear, case, and bearings. I am know I packed the bearings, guess it wasn't enough. Expensive lesson...
Also leak on pan turned out to be rear main. Getting that fixed next week. Hope to be at cruising Grand in Escondido in a few weeks !

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Gear oil is what keeps those rollers alive/happy. the grease (I used Vaseline) just keeps the rollers stuck in place until the intermediate gear can be assembled into the case with the shaft. did the oil feed hole get plugged? or something with the thrust washer?

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Gear oil is what keeps those rollers alive/happy. the grease (I used Vaseline) just keeps the rollers stuck in place until the intermediate gear can be assembled into the case with the shaft. did the oil feed hole get plugged? or something with the thrust washer?

Kind of hard to tell now...