• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need electrical help with MAF.

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I am trying to track down an electrical issue that seems to be stemming from my MAF. I am a complete rookie with electrical so please be patient with me. I have checked power to the MAF sensor and it has 12V power with key off. With key on, 12V power goes to the blue and the tan wires (MAF power and MAF return?) and the red wire goes to approx -0.2 or 0.3V. Does anyone know what readings I should be getting?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I'm using the Moates Quarterhorse programmer and it currently is not giving a MAF reading.
I am going back to checking all of the wiring to confirm all is good.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Did it work before and you just started having issues? The best way to screw a MAF sensor is to unplug/replug it with the ignition on. In fact, you should disconnect the battery before messing with it.

A little off topic, but - are you trying to tune it yourself?

Eric

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Thanks RT. I looked online for awhile but had not luck. This looks like it is what I need.

That won't test for an open circuit between the MAF and PCM, it only verifies that the MAF itself is functioning. Check your email, I sent you a diagram with basic instructions.

Did it work before and you just started having issues?

I wrote a base tune and did a remote session with him several months ago. Maf was reading fine, data logging worked fine etc... The only issue was he was very lean considering the parts he was using (known MAF transfer and injector data). I had to throw about 25% more fuel in it IIRC.

I was concerned that we may be trying to tune around a mechanical issue so I told him to check fuel pressure and check for vacuum leaks etc... I think he decided to take it back to the shop that did the install for that IIRC.

Just recently we went to do another session but can't get any MAF reading from it, data logging doesn't want to record, and loading other dashboards in BE is not working either. I think it's a problem with BE and have tried everything, even removing and reinstalling BE, different strategy files, clearing QH ram, changing modes, etc...

He had dave @ moates remote in and try a few things today with no luck. Dave wants him to pin out the MAF to rule it out before going to Clint. I was under the impression it had already been done. I think at some point the OS was updated to 8.1 from 8.0, and that may have been when the problems started.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
^^^^Exactly what was said. Garry has been a HUGE help so far! Working on checking everything again today before moving to the next step...