• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help badly fuel leak at carb

boats

Loc.
Staten Island
This just started today. When i have my air breather off and I run the engine fuel starts to bubble out of the 2 holes on top of the carb. Stock Motorcraft 2 barrel. I took the top off and removed the float and needle and sprayed some carb cleaner down it. No luck. When its running with me giving gas no leak but as soon as I let off the gas to idle fuel starrts pouring out of the holes. Thanks for any help not sure what to do next.
Thanks,
Hall

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
It sounds like the floats are not closing the fuel valve. Could be the valve is stuck open, or the floats need adjusting, or...?

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
That's very typical of the stock 2bbl carb. You will most likely need to rebuild the carb. Thta's how I'v fixed mine in the past when it's done that if using carb clean doesn't work. Good luck, at least the rebuild kit is cheap.

$$PIT

Loc.
The OC, CA
Try it yourself 1st. The kits are cheap and the labor isn't difficult. If it still doesn't fix the problem then you can go to plan B.

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
depending on how old the carb is you may want to consider having the throttle shaft bushings replaced. That has to be done at a shop. The get old and develope vacuum leaks after awhile. Best way to check is at idle, spray carb cleaner on the housing at the throttle shaft. If the idle goes up or smooths out then have them replaced. May be hard to do if it overflows at idle though.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Take the top off the carb and clean or replace the needle seat and make sure that the float is not sinking and you should be good to go.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p PS replace fuel filter