• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help - can't get drop pitman arm off

JuanGrande

Loc.
Davis (the republic of...) near Sacramento
I am trying to install a power steering upgrade in '69 bronco and I can't get the drop pitman arm off the the tie-rod. I have been using a pickle fork and can not get the pitman arm to come off the tie-rod end. Any advice or special tricks? <br><br>Jon

77bronko

Loc.
Norfolk MA
I had not luck with a pickle fork. I used a pitman arm puller. Crank the sucker down then tap the pitman with a hammer. I used the auto-zone puller. But I did have to grind some of the casting seam off of the pitman to make it fit. Grinding the seam a little does not affect the strength of the pitman arm.

OP
OP
J

JuanGrande

Loc.
Davis (the republic of...) near Sacramento
The last time I tried the pitman arm puller (my first attempt at removal), I broke the puller. I must have cranked it down too much, because one of the flanges broke off. I am going to try and borrow some air tools or rent an impact wrench - oh fun...<br><br><br>Jonathan

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Alright, put pressure on the tie rod with whatever, tie rod puller, pickle fork etc. then hit the side of the pitman arm where the stuck rod is with the BFH. This works on all tapered holes.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
You can also hold a hammer on the pitman arm, opposite the BFH you're hitting with and it'll help the loosening process.<br>Joe

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
[quote author=rjlougee link=board=5;threadid=14287;start=0#107635 date=1045264296]<br>You can also hold a hammer on the pitman arm, opposite the BFH you're hitting with and it'll help the loosening process.<br>Joe<br>[/quote]I've done something similar that our heavy eqpmt mechanic at work showed me. Remove the nut then using 2 hammers and swing them from opposite sides and try to hit simultaneously. It took about 20 tries on my first pitman arm changeout but only takes a couple now.

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
Just get your torch out and heat it up a little bit. The one on my CJ would never come off unless I heated it up and then it would slide off nice and easy with the puller.