• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help installing auxiliary tank in '73

Gould

Hello all,
I need some help with connecting the front of the straps for the auxililary tank. Some pictures would be great!

Well I had a somewhat productive day today working on the '73.
But I got stumped when it came time to put my auxiliary tank back on.
The tank fell off when I got it home after buying it 7 years ago. Haven't messed with until now. I cleaned out the sludge, bought a new sending unit and hoses, and grabbed some new straps and J-hooks since the PO had been holding the tank in place with bailing wire(!).
When I bought the straps I also bought one of these:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-10227-auxilary-tank-strap-bracket-66-77.html
6677AUXTNKBRKT.JPG

Now that I've crawled under the truck I have no idea where to connect the front ends of these straps. Could it be the part it attaches to rusted and fell off?
There was a J-hook still hanging in the rear support, and I've seen some diagrams for connecting the rear of the straps; so I know where those go. What's stumping me is how to connect the fronts! It's possible it all rusted out and fell off. That's why I bought that bracket from JBG. But I can't figure out how to mount the bracket or how to hook the straps to the bracket (even without mounting it!).
The front ends of the straps are shaped like a "T" so I keep looking for a corresponding notch to set it in. Am I making this too hard?
I did find the below picture in a build thread (http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174049&page=5) but I still can't quite figure it out.
attachment.php

All help is greatly appreciated!
Gould

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, there are two slots for the front of the straps. I just can't remember where they are at the moment.
I seem to remember another piece that was sandwiched between the big bracket you bought and the body, but now I'm wondering if the slots weren't just in that bracket, or in the skid plate.
You do have a skid plate too, correct?

Paul

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Gould,

Thanks for posting!

I bought new straps for our Bronco from Wild Horses, had them shipped to Moab to meet us there, and thought it would be a quick change. I'm like you... I couldn't figure out where to hook the front end of each strap. I ran out of time and never changed them out. I'd like to do that this winter. I just haven't dug into the details.

I'll be watching your thread. Thanks for asking the question.

(I have great faith in Paul to help with this issue. In my case, I have a skid plate.)

Jeff

OP
OP
G

Gould

Paul,
Thanks. No skid plate...but I can get one!
The LMC catalog has a nice exploded view of everything at the bottom of this page:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fbr/full.aspx?Page=35
It almost looks like that bracket is related to the skid plate. Which only makes me more confused.
Jeff, did you ever see where your original straps went?
Holy moley! I saw your signature block said you have a 1971..which made me remember I have a 1971 back in the barn! How could I forget? But right now I can't even remember if it has dual tanks or just a single (it's a 6 cylinder if it matters).
Later this morning I'll get out there and see if it has an auxiliary tank with straps in place. Maybe I figure this out after all and not become "that guy" and just grab the bailing wire.
Thanks for posting.
Gould

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
95% sure the tabs on the straps go into that short bracket, then the bracket is bolted into nuts in floor (or might be the criss channel floor support). The j bolts go towards the rear of the vehicle. An easy way to figure out where that front channel goes is to dry fit the tank.

If that doesn't give you guys what you need, send me a pm and I'll go outside and grab a pic.

Might also try a google image search - I seem to recall finding a diagram online when I was trying to figure it out.

OP
OP
G

Gould

Wow! Excellent. Thanks DuctTape.
Okay, I took a look at the '71 and it only has a rear tank. It looks like it never had a front tank. The underside is rusted about as bad as the '73 but I think I made out what you're talking about.
That picture helped. Plus I took a look at the exploded view in LMC's catalog (that thing is really helpful!).
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fbr/full.aspx?Page=18

Both of my trucks are badly rusted but I can just make out some t-slots in the cross member that is probably part #7 in the diagram at the top of that LMC link. There are also what might be some threaded holes.

Doing a quick test fit with the bracket I bought shows the holes line up. So it looks like the front ends of the straps go in the slots, the bracket gets bolted on to keep the straps from popping out, and then you jam your tank up there and hold it all in place with the J-bolts on the rear of the straps. Sound about right?

Any idea what those bolts are that should be holding the bracket in place? Thread size? Length? Are they self tapping? Or a machine screw?

Thanks for the help. Can I now say I used DuctTape to get my truck back together? ;)
Gould

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
The straps go under the skid plate, so they may be too long if you don't have that installed.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Gould,

Could you please post a pic of how that tank strap brace/hanget? I have an aux tank but not brace/hanger. My straps are hooked into what appear to be factory slots in the floor brace. Would like to add the brace but worried it will not mount on my 74.

Tim

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I believe the straps go around the tank and skidplate, if its factory. At least thats the way the last two I had with aux tanks were set up.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Wow! Excellent. Thanks DuctTape.
Okay, I took a look at the '71 and it only has a rear tank. It looks like it never had a front tank. The underside is rusted about as bad as the '73 but I think I made out what you're talking about.
That picture helped. Plus I took a look at the exploded view in LMC's catalog (that thing is really helpful!).
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fbr/full.aspx?Page=18

Both of my trucks are badly rusted but I can just make out some t-slots in the cross member that is probably part #7 in the diagram at the top of that LMC link. There are also what might be some threaded holes.

Doing a quick test fit with the bracket I bought shows the holes line up. So it looks like the front ends of the straps go in the slots, the bracket gets bolted on to keep the straps from popping out, and then you jam your tank up there and hold it all in place with the J-bolts on the rear of the straps. Sound about right?

Any idea what those bolts are that should be holding the bracket in place? Thread size? Length? Are they self tapping? Or a machine screw?

Thanks for the help. Can I now say I used DuctTape to get my truck back together? ;)
Gould

I want to say 3/8 coarse thread, about 3/4" long, but not sure. Just grab a couple diff sizes and see what works.

OP
OP
G

Gould

Gould,

Could you please post a pic of how that tank strap brace/hanget? I have an aux tank but not brace/hanger. My straps are hooked into what appear to be factory slots in the floor brace. Would like to add the brace but worried it will not mount on my 74.

Tim

Tim,
Sadly I am very "digital image challenged" right now. My digi camera busted and I have no hosting place anyway. That's why I keep posting images from other people!

That said, I'll try to explain it as best I understand it right now.
If you look at the first photo; that is how the bracket would look if you standing at the driver's front wheel looking down at it. The little supports with the slots on them point towards the front of the truck. The little support that is welded in to be flush with the end of the bracket is on the very left of the vehicle when installed. The whole thing looks to go in right where the driver's toes are. There's also a body mount right there, but the bracket manages to stay just outboard of it (IIRC).
The bracket mounts to the rear of the cross brace. It looks like it will pinch the straps in place. When I stuffed it up there I saw the slots lined right up with the little threaded holes in the cross brace. (Of course, my cross brace is so rotted out it's hard to see any threads.)
If you look at the picture from MarsChariot's build thread (the red underbelly). You'r facing from the driver's rear wheel looking forward with no tank. You are seeing the backside of the bracket in that picture where the fronts of the straps disappear. The left edge of the bracket in that picture is the edge that has the little support welded flush (the one closest to us in the first photo).
Between that and the drawing DuctTape posted you should be able to figure it out.

As for whether or not the bracket will fit your '74; I don't really know. But my '71 and '73 seem to be identical. And JBG lists it as the bracket for 66-77. So....

Hope that helped. If I can get a camera working this week I will try to snap some pictures next weekend. Also, I am setting up an account with some online photo hoster so I can link to photos!

Gould

OP
OP
G

Gould

I want to say 3/8 coarse thread, about 3/4" long, but not sure. Just grab a couple diff sizes and see what works.

Thanks DuctTape. I eyeballed the holes for a while today. I'm going to do exactly that; grab a few to try. Given the corrosion I might end up doing something stupid anyway. If I do; I'll never tell.

Gould

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The 4 bolts are 3/8" coarse, 3/4" long will work fine. The T-straps hook into the floorpan brace just to the left of the body mount. Hang the straps, then bolt that bracket in to secure the straps. Here's a couple of pics of the floorpan brace.

Attachments

• tank strap 001.jpg
    tank strap 001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 56
  • tank strap 002.jpg
    tank strap 002.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
G

Gould

garberz,
Is that what the underside of a Bronco is supposed to look like?
Here's what I got:
aux_tank_slot_zps14975f6d.jpg

Yeah, that's the underside of my floor mat. Did I mention I'm looking to do some restoration next year?
The bolt holes were 5/16 and cleaned up nicely with a tap. I'll be sure to use some never-seize when I run the bolts in. ;)
Since I don't trust the rusted out t-slots for holding the straps (not enough metal to hold them) I am going to have to "invert" the function and cut slots in the new bracket. I'll bolt it in as normal and hopefully everything will hold nicely.
And no, this truck is never leaving the driveway with a body like this.
Gould

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I had floor pan rust, but it wasn't as bad as your pic looks. I replaced all my floor, but all the bracing was fine. I cut my rocker panels off, and welded on 2x5" tubing for sliders. That's why I'm not running the Aux. tank. Yes, it definitely looks like you have some work ahead of you. Good Luck.