• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need HELP just north of Chicago badly!!!!

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
There is a guy on Ebay selling a ford crate 351W. I lost the auction then got notified by him that the winner is not gonna buy it and I can get it for $750.00 and he will cover the shipping. Catch is, the engine is in Chicago with his wife for local pickup but he is in the U.K and wants me to wire the funds there. This seems fishy like I pay $750.00 and never see an engine.

I would be willing to pay someone in Chicago are (he says engine is in suburbs 10 minutes north of there) to pick up the engine and ship it to me.

Anyone wanna make $50.00 plus gas money?

This engine would be a life saver.

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
Sounds like the typical ebay scam that has been going on for a few years. Bet anything he won't let you pick it up. Real fishy sounding, check it out real good and don't wire anyone money to a foreign country.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Yep. Sounds like another Ebay BS trash scammer. I hate the kind. :mad: They make the mess out of what used to be a great place to buy and sell parts.

But if the dude's wife is 10 mins. north of the city, I might be willing to go and sniff it out and see if it actually exists. I'm north of the city too. Send me a PM with some details and contact info and I'll see if I can maybe help.

bronccar

99.9% scam. I have been reporting a ton of these to Ebay - esp. in dealing with utility vehicles and tractors. Always the same M-O. In Ireland or UK, must wire the money, wants to transact outside Ebay via hotmail, etc. (because their ebay email is "broken"). It's always in "storage" somewhere...

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
He actually wants to do teh deal through EBay but I am still leary. 72EB if you would be willing to pick it up, check the crate, and take it to wherever this guy was gonna ship from, I would be forever in your debt and would give you $100 for your time.

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Just got the can't use PayPal cuz my email is not working excuse ten seconds after I read this. Still willing to take my chances if you can check it out in person.

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
Cali, Tell the guy you will be in the chicago area next week and would like to come look at it and pick it up with cash. He will blow you off more than likley. Sounds like the classic Ebay scam still.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
How about a link, Cali? Does this seller have any feedback at all? Still smells fishy.

If you still want to pursue it tomorrow, drop me another line. I'll be working on stuff in the garage most of the day. If it's close by, I can go over and play that I've got your cash and tell them I'm picking it for you. ;)
Die Scammers! :mad:

bandit

Loc.
Afton
Cali77Bronco said:
Just got the can't use PayPal cuz my email is not working excuse ten seconds after I read this. Still willing to take my chances if you can check it out in person.
I really think this is not on the level,I have been saving for a crate engine for a while.None of them are close to that price.Every decent crate engine is a minimum of 3500-4500,dont get ripped.There is a reason the first deal fell through,maybe he got that guys money,and he's gonna call the next guy in line,and the next.be carefull.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Don't waste anymore time on this BS.
Give it up brother, it's a scam - move on.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I don't know guys. Cali77 sent me the link and it doesn't really look like a scam ad. The seller has 33 feedback (positive) and location is 10 minutes from me. Maybe the seller is actually in the UK on business.

Only deal is the seller looks to be selling a rebuilt 351W and not a NEW 351 motor. Big difference.

Cali, PM me what you want to do.

bandit

Loc.
Afton
72_EB said:
I don't know guys. Cali77 sent me the link and it doesn't really look like a scam ad. The seller has 33 feedback (positive) and location is 10 minutes from me. Maybe the seller is actually in the UK on business.

Only deal is the seller looks to be selling a rebuilt 351W and not a NEW 351 motor. Big difference.

Cali, PM me what you want to do.
You obviously want it to work,so good luck ,I hope it works.
BANDIT

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I don't care either way. But now my curiousity is peaked. I'd love to bust an Ebay scammer or help out a fellow Bronco owner. Either one would be worth while to me. ;)

bandit said:
You obviously want it to work,so good luck ,I hope it works.
BANDIT

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Any reason for the secrecy with the auction link?
The original auction may have been legitimate
This guy from the UK may not be the real seller and is contacting other bidders on numerous auctions making his "claim".

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
Dont Do It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

No no no no no no!!!! At christmas, I jumped ebay to buy XBOX's. I got the same sob story about the wifey and all that stuff. DONT DONT DONT!!! I wired $2100 via Western Union to London 6 days b4 XMAS and never heard from him again. I lawyered up and they still cant find this guy. PLEASE HEED THIS WARNING.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Mark,
I think some people like to keep their Ebay names and accounts private for whatever reason. Avoid the other email spammers and the Paypal/Ebay password thieves (or they are just plain paranoid :eek: hahaha) . Come to think about it, I don't think I should have asked Cali to share that if he didn't want to. I think Cali is bailing on the auction (good decision IMHO), I haven't heard from him yet today.

Mark Troy said:
Any reason for the secrecy with the auction link?
The original auction may have been legitimate
This guy from the UK may not be the real seller and is contacting other bidders on numerous auctions making his "claim".