• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help taking my steering column and shaft out!

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
All,

I need some help taking my steering column and shaft out so I can put my new column in.

Any and all help is much appreciated. Pictures would be cool as well.

Thanks,

Vet

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What's not working? I seem to remember the whole thing just came right out.

Disconnect the tulip-joint at the box (what year Bronco do you have again?) with the one bolt. Pull it all the way out or the shaft won't pull back.
Remove any shift linkage from the lever(s).
Loosen the lower bearing retainer nut (little clampy thingy where the shaft enters the lower part of the column). Don't think that's required to pull it as an assembly, but I did it anyway if I remember.
Remove the firewall clamp's 3 bolts and pull away. Slide the boot down, or let it pull free when you pull the column later.
Remove the face plate on the dash.
Remove the two bolts holding the column up to the cowl, and pull it out.

I may be forgetting something, but mine didn't fight me at all, and came right out. I already had the shifter mechanism removed because I had a floor shift.
I may even have removed the shaft first, but can't remember. I think I pulled the whole assembly as one.

Paul