• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help with a part number

scherp69

Loc.
British Columbia
As the title says, I'm trying to find a part number. I'm looking for a rear drum brake hardware kit for a 10" drum. I tried Raybestos H7144 but it was not right. I think that's the kit for a 11" brake. I had my local parts guy look through a bunch of places and he couldn't find it. I've called the local Ford dealer, but they need to go into the old school records to see if they have the part number. I tried to order the kit from one of the sponsors, but it was going to be $60 shipping. I've tried searching on here also and the only part number I could find had the big springs in it also like the 7144.

Here's the brake setup I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the 7144 kit, springs are wrong.

OP
OP
S

scherp69

Loc.
British Columbia
Thanks for the link Savage. Now I feel like an idiot. Went and measured again and it looks like I do have the 11" brakes. Does it matter if it's front or rear? I see the Napa kit looks Like the springs I need but says front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scherp69

Loc.
British Columbia
So I've been doing some more searching. A bunch of sites show the kit I have as the proper kit for the 11" brakes. Does anyone have a picture of their 11" rear brake setup with the kit that I have? I know this truck was put together out of two trucks, so I wouldn't be surprised if I have the wring springs in there now.

OB Bronco

Loc.
Orange Beach
I don't know if this matters but some of the '74 and '75 Broncos had the 4500gvw med rating axles. They had large bearings but the smaller brakes. There may be a specific set of springs for this axle's brakes?

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Wild horses started a thread last week on the 9 inch. It will define what parts you mostly have. I urge you to look at this.
As for spring kits it makes a difference front or rear since the rear has the parking brake assembly.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't know if this matters but some of the '74 and '75 Broncos had the 4500gvw med rating axles. They had large bearings but the smaller brakes. There may be a specific set of springs for this axle's brakes?

Those are the same 10" brakes (except backing plate) as the light duty small bearing axle. Should use same hardware kit.

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
So I've been doing some more searching. A bunch of sites show the kit I have as the proper kit for the 11" brakes. Does anyone have a picture of their 11" rear brake setup with the kit that I have? I know this truck was put together out of two trucks, so I wouldn't be surprised if I have the wring springs in there now.

11" RH rear, before & after.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 77

Labbster

I just had mine apart. It looks like ur original pic has the wrong spring near wheel cylinder? If wheel cylinder on top, red spring goes on toward front of vehicle and the longer gray spring goes on towards rear of vehicle. Blue spring goes on bottom. If memory serves

OP
OP
S

scherp69

Loc.
British Columbia
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've decided that I will use the spring kit that I have. It looks like the springs that are in there now are for a front setup or 10". I have the big bearing with 11" brakes so I'm pretty confident the ones I have are right I went to put them back together today only to realize that I left the springs in my car, which I let the wife take to work. Looks like they'll wait until next week.

OP
OP
S

scherp69

Loc.
British Columbia
Finally got around to putting the passenger side back together. The springs I had worked great. And I'm happier having the bigger springs. Thanks again for your help guys.