• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need help with converting to dana 44 and big bearing rearend!

dbridgs

I have a 1967 bronco and am planning to install a james duff long travel suspension, nv 3550, and a 2" body lift. I would really like to get something stronger to replace my dana 30 and small bearing 9in rear end. Ive talked to currie about having them build one but its way to expensive for me right now since that cash is tight. I would like to install a full width front and rear end since this seems to be the cheapest, strongest, and easiest to find swap. does any one have any recomendations? will my tires stick out way to far? what trucks (model and year) are the best to pull the parts from? what modifications will i need to do to make these fit in my EB, will this be a big pain? I really need help with this I only know a little about front and rear ends and what is best. thanks

is it wise to find a built front and rear end from someone else? or should i scour the junk yards and do it myself? how do i check the straightness and condition of the housings and components?

Familyman

Well here goes - I am no expert but you probably want something out of a F-150 late 70's Ford truck (someone else will be able to tell you which years exactly) . The front could be a high or low pinion (high pinion better) Dana 44 with disc and weld on c's. The rears will most likely be 9" big bearing rears. You could scour junk yards or pick n 'pull but you could also watch the pirate board in the for sale section. Lots of people are selling these both stock and modified. You will have to remove and reweld the c's in the proper position and the rear leaf spring pearchs. Do a search here and on the pirate board (under the Ford section) and I am sure you can find more then enough info on this swap. Check out this link - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365632
Pick that up and find a fw 9" and you are set. Good hunting and hope it works out. FM