• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help with new Bronco Bed

whitsend

Loc.
Boyne City, MI.
Ok, so I am not sure I am up to this body work thing but I am wayto far into it to quit now.
I bought a bunch of stuff from JBG one of which is the bed. I removed the old bed and from the old bed salvaged the brace underneath.
Problem is when I go to weld the brace to the new bed, There are some new brackets/nuts welded where the brace is supposed to go. So, what do I do now?

Any help will be appreciated!!! Thanks

Dan ;D

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
whitsend said:
Ok, so I am not sure I am up to this body work thing but I am wayto far into it to quit now.
I bought a bunch of stuff from JBG one of which is the bed. I removed the old bed and from the old bed salvaged the brace underneath.
Problem is when I go to weld the brace to the new bed, There are some new brackets/nuts welded where the brace is supposed to go. So, what do I do now?

Any help will be appreciated!!! Thanks

Dan ;D

I'm guessing here but, those nuts are probably for the seatbelt and for the back seat? What if you were to turn it around 180?

I just looked on my '75 ranger and noticed that there are two support bars under the bed. First one goes toward the front. The second one is in-line with the axle. well actually just behind the axle. The rear seat bolts are exactly in-line with where my rear bed support is.

So I guess on mine the nuts are above the support.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
whitsend said:

I know what you're talking about. I had the same thing. On mine, the rear-most seat bolts were originally incorporated into the brace. So, I removed the threaded parts from the brace in order to use those installed on the new floor piece. I simply moved the brace forward by about an inch, just enough to clear the new nuts. Hope this makes some kind of sense...

Check out this picture:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~jmray/Baja/RearFloor45.JPG

I'll try to dig up some closer shots and post a link to those as well.

OP
OP
W

whitsend

Loc.
Boyne City, MI.
Thanks for the help guys. I don't know how critical it is to get the brace in the same place. My Bronc is a 71 and it actually has a separate "Z" shaped bracket screwed on to the brace which then overhangs the brace by about 1/2 inch. They also have a threaded hole in the overhang. My theory is that the seat or seat belts originally bolted to these overhanging brackets. They do line right up with the new nut holes.

So, I'm thinking about taking out the one screw on each bracket then grinding down the brakcet on the new bed as you have done.

This should work right????

Dan

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
whitsend said:
Thanks for the help guys. I don't know how critical it is to get the brace in the same place. My Bronc is a 71 and it actually has a separate "Z" shaped bracket screwed on to the brace which then overhangs the brace by about 1/2 inch. They also have a threaded hole in the overhang. My theory is that the seat or seat belts originally bolted to these overhanging brackets. They do line right up with the new nut holes.

So, I'm thinking about taking out the one screw on each bracket then grinding down the brakcet on the new bed as you have done.

This should work right????

Dan

Yeah, sounds to me like it should work just fine. Good luck!