• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help- wonÂ’t run

Blue1969

Good morning, I bought a 69 U14 a few months back. It ran great. I installed a Borgeson power steering conversion, along with a new harmonic balancer, timing chain, water pump, and alternator. Now, it runs rough and will stall when coming to a stop. I took to a mechanic and he checked timing and adjusted carb. Ran great for 3-4 miles. Now, it's right back to its rough running ways and won't idle. Again, it ran great before I did the above parts installation. Any ideas? Thanks, I'm at my wits end.

TNcowboy

Out of the parts you replaced, the timing chain is the one that would affect what you're describing

Are you certain that you installed it correctly?

That's where I would start

OP
OP
Blue1969

Blue1969

I lined up the timing marks perfectly, no issues there. Mechanic I took it to said the timing's good. No vacuum leaks, check all places and around carb and spacer. I'm lost. After he adjusted the carb, it ran well and idled smoothly. Then, it stalled when slowing after about 4 miles and has ran badly since. I changed fuel filter at the carb and the one before the fuel pump. Could it still be trash getting to the carb?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Second the vacuum leak possibilitie…or there may be some issue with the carb. I've had a Holly that time to time would do stupid crap like that.

Randy

OP
OP
Blue1969

Blue1969

How did you check for vacuum leaks? Sprayed Carb Cleaner around hoses and base of carb.

How does it run at higher rpm and under load? Not bad. I have to close the choke when coming to a stop.

Do you by chance have headers? No headers

Guess it's still a points system by the year, if so has the dwell been checked?
It's a Pertronix conversion to solid state

OP
OP
Blue1969

Blue1969

I checked for a vacuum leak again and just completed a smoke test by blowing smoke into the the PCV valve. I plugged the hole in the valve cover where the PCV valve goes. The only smoke I saw came out of the top of the carb. No smoke from anywhere else on the engine. I checked all fitting locations and bottom of carb. Is this a reliable means of checking for a vacuum leak? I had already tried carb cleaner with no indications of a leak either. Thanks!

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Fittings on the fuel pump are tight and no leaks? Pulled the line off at the carb and getting good stream of gas when it's cranked over?

OP
OP
Blue1969

Blue1969

I had changed the fuel filter before the pump and at the carb. I had not checked fuel flow. How steady of a stream should it be? Mine was more like a cough, not steady.

Rightpace

Check vac advance on distributor with
Hand operated vacuum pump.
If it only stalls when going to idle from driving.
Could be hanging open mechanical advance also.
Otherwise check carburetor fuel bowl for trash.

OP
OP
Blue1969

Blue1969

Thanks, I'll check the vacuum advance. I went ahead and bought a carb kit.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Take your old filter and cut it open. Make sure the choke is set properly. look at the instructions in your carb kit.

67sport

Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I had changed the fuel filter before the pump and at the carb. I had not checked fuel flow. How steady of a stream should it be? Mine was more like a cough, not steady.
Isn't this significant to his symptoms? I know it will pulse while you crank the motor, but it should move a lot of fuel still. A "cough" isn't going to do it.
Wouldn't a failing/failed fuel pump check all the boxes?

You could try gravity feeding from a jerry can right to the carb inlet to rule out your pump, but maybe I'm going down the wrong path.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Blue1969

Blue1969

Take your old filter and cut it open. Make sure the choke is set properly. look at the instructions in your carb kit.

It's a manual choke. Is there something special I should do? I'll definitely follow step by step. I rebuilt a 2100 once, but it was about 10 years ago on a 65 F100.