• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need longer d44 breather bolt/brake tree keeper/ Done just got my swedged SS Flexline

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I am installing new hard stainless steel brake-lines on the EB and am almost finished. I hit a snag with the front tree that comes down from the proportioning valve to the top of the differential. Seems that the new flex-line needs a spacer and a longer breather bolt. The reason for the spacer is that I am using hard SS line with reusable alloy ends to 3-AN adapters. The adapter sticks out farther on the tree and there is no way with out a spacer the line will clear the housing to go to the passenger side. So here's my ? is there such a thing as a longer breather bolt, or can one be made without to much trouble. I had thought of getting a longer SS bolt and then drilling it thru, drilling the top with a larger bit and tap to thread a nipple for the breather hose. Anyone had to deal with this? any ideas are welcome. Thanks.....Mo

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thats a tough nut no pun. Good point, I've noted you have to tighten stock brake lines with the breather nut out. There has to be an extended AN fitting you might be able to use as breather nut. Worst case, find a bolt long enough, drill throigh and braze on a breather to hose adapter.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Yep, am thinking I will have to make my own. Anyone have thoughts as to whether a stainless bolt would be easier than say a Grade 3 or 5? I am partial to SS or L9's( I know they would be hard to drill through)....Mo

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id probably just reuse the stock breather bolt and make a bracket for the T to bolt onto. lot less hassle.
Stainless is generally harder than steel so drilling stainless may not work so well. if anything a grade 3 bolt will work fine your only holding a brake line to the housing.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm with Broncaz, if you have to make something, use the original and extend the breather bolt with a brass tube?

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Actually most stainless bolts are fairly soft... If you run your drill bit slow so it doesnt generate a lot of heat and use a cutting fluid it is not hard to drill at all.

Greg

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Greg that was my thought. Wonder how straight I can keep the drill even on the press. BroncnAz my set up is too clean to just add a bracket(sorry but it is ; ) Hey Greg did you find the flares you needed? Below's a pics of the stock breather and the spacer I first used the other is the new one that will help clear the hump you can see in pic 2 and 3.

t1135_IMG255.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

t1133_IMG252.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

t1134_IMG253.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

t1132_IMG250.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyone catch an old Bronco.com printout I found the other day on the first pic : )

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
look's like you made out ok. I'd have done the same but if it didnt work I'd put a bracket painted blue then it would look somewhat decent.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
No, I haven't solved it yet. I am going to go get a really good grade of SS bolt tomorrow, and some titanium drill bits. That longer spacer still needs to be drilled out to fit the breather. I almost have the Brake system done. Found out this afternoon the speed shop I have make my swedged SS flex lines is out of straight alloy Female 3-AN fittings till Monday *&^%$##@ I wanted to finish it this weekend, I have 3 days off. Called Wild Horses to see what they could do. They said they don't have the pieces and would be too costly for them to get them. I am going to try one more option tomorrow for the lines. Will let you guys know if the breather works out....Mo

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
That sucks I though you were good to go. Swaged brake lines are kinda rare but seeing how most stainless lines are tough to flare I guess thats you next best bet. Might want to check with any hydraulic shop that makes hoses although 3an is smaller than most will normally carry. There are shops that just make hoses though that might be a better bet. along with some NAPA stores that make hoses.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
No one makes the 3-AN except the speed shops which are slowly fading in lieu of the likes of Summit. Especially with the liability. I flare my own SS hardline, but the swedged Flexline requires that hydraulic press. And most hydraulic shops don't do real small stuff..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Roger that I work at a hydraulic shop and we dont mess with the small stuff only the bigger stuff. usually send out for small hose/line to the hose shops.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Matt trying to stay semi legal that is why I am having the swedged ones made. I don't get the pre-made I ordered a set of custom length hoses made up at Hoosier Racing here in Fresno. All the local and many NASCAR race teams have them make up stuff. They are small but do quality work, problem is they get swamped and they don't maintain a huge stock pile of parts like in years past ( economy ). I Had one hose made up with blue alloy ends and the other with red ends to distinguish the front and rear line from the MC + it contrasts with all the other AN- fittings. Sons gonna pick them up when they are done next week. So much for a plumbed EB by weekends end! Was able to get the rest of the fittings and 10' of 3/16" SS hardline for the prop valve to rear drop down flex line. Was able to get the rest of the L9's for the track bar the PS gearbox and sway-bar ends. Off to 100* weather outside. Fick!!!!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Wouldnt trust any reuseable fittings on brake lines. for what its worth I dont think AN lines are the way to go on a brake system you have a issue and your probably waiting for parts again. not that AN lines dont work its just like your already experianceing lack of availibility.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Well got all the stuff and extra just in case. I drilled the longer HD SS bolt. Almost thru and the friggin' titanium bit seized up 1.75" in the bolt. Could not get it out and ended up breaking it in the vise. Glad I got two bolts, drilled the second with a slightly larger bit and 1/2 way thru I followed it up with the 17/64" bit that I needed for the 5/16" bottom tap. Went right thru centered nicely on the bottom although started a bit off center at the top. Tapped it and installed a flare/ flare brass fitting as I could not find SS(gonna try tho) which had regular fine threads and installed the fitting. No it's not SS but you wont be able to see it once I get the red silicon hose installed. I have to get a taller spacer tomorrow needs to be .75" tall, the .5" one I have is too short still. Damn it was hot, tell you what the little jig I welded up to keep the bolt centered really saved my ass tho', can't imagine trying to freehand drilling a 2" bolt!!!! Now how the hell do they drill those springs bolts that you can lubricate?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Done!!! Got the .75" chrome spacer worked perfect. Tightened all the lines and now I have to run the 8' hardline to the rear. I am going to try and make use of existing frame holes and tap if possible for the SS double line hold downs. I am going to use the other for the SS hard fuel line since it has an almost parallel path with the brake line...Here's the finished product;D

t1140_IMG263.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

t1141_IMG265.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
t1142_KGrHqFHJBME9rY6tOHBPgziz9wg6057.JPG
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Swedged lines installed

Got the swedged brake lines installed. I have to drill a couple of holes on the inner fender for some hold downs so the lines are routed better, for the up coming shorty header install. Too hot to route the rear line though, till manana,,

t1146_IMG280.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

t1147_IMG281.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]